Eating Poop-Again, Still...nonstop

Guest kahjul

Guest kahjul

I wasn't sure where to post this. I know its been talked about a lot but a search came up empty. Poop eating has been a favorite pastime of my girls. Tried the pills at Petco, they worked for a few months. I read on here about pineapple juice and have been using that. Its been almost a year, but its not working anymore. I try to clean up after them, but while I'm at work or running errands if I miss it, theres none left to pick up! The kids are freaked out and my girl smells-bad. So, any other options?

Muzzles with stool guards. It's the only thing that has worked for me.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Muzzles with stool guards. It's the only thing that has worked for me.

Me, too. I think the pineapple just added a little extra flavor for Coltrane. :lol

ETA: Because of the poop eating, I know I could never have a doggie door to let them have unlimited access to the yard.

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest kahjul

She isn't an ex-racer, but was rescued as a puppy so she isn't muzzle trained. I do have one, but she's never had it on. Don't think that will work for us.

Guest Samantha

She will get used to the muzzle and it doesnt hurt or harm them in any way, although she may try rubbing it on things to remove it for awhile :lol:

Edited to add: Maddison is not a ex-racer either and had rarely worn a muzzle :)

Edited by Samantha

My Lulu LOVES LOVES LOVES poop. I have kept her muzzled with a poop guard when outside for umpteen years, about 9 actually. STILL, on the occasion when she slides out the door without her muzzle, I have to chase her around the yard because the first thing she does is to grab some poop to eat. I tried everything you can possibly imagine, including mega hot sauce on the poop, and nothing works except the muzzle. She still tries to rub it off on the fence, or the house, or me, but she's worn it for so long that she usually waits for me to put it on her as we get to the door when they want to go out. Sugar used to eat poop, but rarely ever eats it now, occasionally carries a piece to me, kind of like she's giving me some kind of offering!

The poop eating can not be good for their teeth either, greyhounds have enough dental problems without eating poop to make them worse.

I agree that a muzzle is the only reliable way to prevent poop eating. All of my dogs have gotten used to wearing muzzles, including my non-greys (who were adopted as adults). The only poop eater I have right now is my mixed breed Corey, and he wears a basket muzzle when I turn him out.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest RichardUK

I've only ever had one poop eater - He stopped directly I added a young companion - so I assumed he was bored when I was at work. None do it now which is a pity as I'd save on food (poop actually contains a lot of nutrients) and pooper scooping! :)

Darren was my poop eater. I started muzzling him whenever he was in the backyard unless I had just cleaned it up. He even messed up the front of the muzzle trying to eat the poop through the muzzle. After about 6 months he finally stopped.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest Dragon

Dragon was an unapologetic poop eater. We used a muzzle which a stool guard, which worked, but he hated it. Then we switched foods to Dick van Pattons limited ingredient diet natural balance food, for skin reasons, and as a bonus, he stopped eating poop. We still try to pick up the poop as needed, but he is no longer fighting to "help" us.

I'm going to have to get muzzles with stool guards, for all my dogs. Since not only is dog poop yummy, they also really like horse poop. So, looks like we're joining that club. :(

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Guest june

I adopted a retired Mama dog who ate poop and wasn't able to be outside without a muzzle and poop guard. A year after she died I was blessed to be able to adopt her daughter: yup, you guessed it. :eek She is a poop eater and never goes out without a muzzle and poop guard. :lol

june

I adopted a retired Mama dog who ate poop and wasn't able to be outside without a muzzle and poop guard. A year after she died I was blessed to be able to adopt her daughter: yup, you guessed it. :eek She is a poop eater and never goes out without a muzzle and poop guard. :lol

june

i guess it is hereditary :lol:lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I wasn't sure where to post this. I know its been talked about a lot but a search came up empty. Poop eating has been a favorite pastime of my girls. Tried the pills at Petco, they worked for a few months. I read on here about pineapple juice and have been using that. Its been almost a year, but its not working anymore. I try to clean up after them, but while I'm at work or running errands if I miss it, theres none left to pick up! The kids are freaked out and my girl smells-bad. So, any other options?

Is the poop very soft? Is the color a good brown or more yellow to orange? I ask because the only time I had trouble with a dog eating poop and smelling bad, it turned out to be a small-intestine infection (aka SIBO) that had resulted in Intestinal Malabsorption. He was also chewing wood, and eating poop was his way of trying to get extra nutrients. Seems most people's poop eaters are considered healthy, but I thought I should mention our experience just in case.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I used Forbid on my last dog, who went through a poop eating phase, and it worked like a charm!

Of course he was also leash walked.

As to your kids being "freaked out," use this as a learning opportunity--dogs are not furry humans, they're animals, and what is disgusting to us is just NOT to them!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The only thing that is guaranteed to work is pick it up as soon as it drops. I would never use a muzzle with or without a stool guard if the dog(s) are home alone, especially if you have a doggy door. Don't know if you do or not, just sayin'.....

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest RichardUK

june

i guess it is hereditary :lol:lol

It is more likely the brood bitch was used to eating her pups droppings for hygienic reasons - Dog poop is nutritious as it is half digested food (the intestines of a dog are short and do not allow the food to be as fully digested as a human with long intestines)

Guest Swifthounds

The only thing that is guaranteed to work is pick it up as soon as it drops. I would never use a muzzle with or without a stool guard if the dog(s) are home alone, especially if you have a doggy door. Don't know if you do or not, just sayin'.....

If you have a dog door allowing the hound to go outside and consume stool, thereby ingraining the behavior, there's little hope of extinguishing it anyway.

Idol was a poop eater when he first adopted me. He was very particular about which kind of poop though. He would only eat it slightly crisp on the outside so I had a couple of days to get it up before he ate it. Since he has been on Panacur for his hookworms, his poop eating has stopped (I hope).

I have a poop eater too. Usually he tries for the foster's because they are on a different food at first, but bunny poo is always a treat too! I have tried the stool cup, but he just mashed the poo through the holes. So now his muzzle has duct tape instead. I do run right out and clean up though. Three dogs in very small area, and I hate cleaning poo feet!

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest meggera

I think for our evening potty visits I am going to have to start muzzling Vanille with a muzzle that has a poop guard. It is so strange to me that the only time she attempts to eat poop is on her evening potty trip. Then it is like she will hunt for poop and run around carrying it. I almost think it is a game to her. What is more puzzling to me is the fact that this is the only time she will go for poop.