Bald Bum...and Getting Balder?

Guest ravenchilde

Guest ravenchilde

I know it's fairly typical for greyhounds to have bald bums, but I feel like Miley is losing so much hair back there (seems to be less and less each week) that there might be another underlying issue? Has anyone had any experience in this area? She's been shedding like crazy, although, it has been hotter here in Calgary lately? Anyways, she's pretty much bald on her bum, thighs, tummy, chest, and neck. Any thoughts? I had her thyroid tested back in December, and her levels seemed to be appropriate at that time. Should we re-test?

Any suggestions on how to help her grow her hair back? Right now she's on a raw diet.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine will usually get bald in all the places you mentioned in the spring and summer. I've read here on GT where giving Melatonin will help some greyhounds grow hair.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How to get her hair to grow back: Wait for fall.

No, really. Some pups shed it out in summer, grow it back in winter. Sometimes happens less as they age but there's really nothing to do about it except enjoy the cue-ball look :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BrianRke

Melatonin definitely works wonders. I would use a combo of melatonin and fish oil and miley will have a soft full coat.

Melatonin is a miracle supplement. I give my girl Wendy (55 lbs.) 5mg of melatonin each night mixed in with her dinner. All her bald spots have filled in and her coat has become ultra-soft, full and shiny. The bad news, all the new hair fell out when I stopped the melatonin. She's back on it forever now. Salmon oil is fabulous for skin and coat as well.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest RichardUK

Thanks for the info on Melatonin - My new boy Blackie has the worst bald bum I've seen for years - though the rest of his fur is fair though dandruffy - and he is otherwise very active and healthy. I've ordered a years supply today! :)

Another vote for melatonin. I give Carl 3mg on the days I work (for another month, then I will taper off and see how little I can give him with the same results). He is nearly a Sasquatch right now! I restarted him on it in Feb. He was at the vet yesterday and she couldn't believe how lush his coat is now. She also practices homeopathic care and is very supportive of the use of melatonin.

ETA I've had the best luck with the Nature's Bounty brand. It dissolves very very quickly and just really seems to bring the fur in quickly.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest KsFrets

Another Melatonin success here. Magnus was a bald butt/belly and getting worse. Now he is mister fluffy. He gets 1.5mg twice a day (on his food). Be patient. It took about two months for the peach fuzz to start appearing, 3 months to look like hair, and 4-5 months for the bald spots to start filling in. Now, a year and a half later and his butt has wavey hair that blows in the breeze.

Guest KsFrets

We haven't noticed any negitive side effects. On the positive side, Magnus is very thunderphobic, and once on Melatonin, he doesn't freek out nearly at much.

Guest RichardUK

Here - I helped The Royal Veterinary College run a survey some years ago on Bald Thigh Syndrome as several breeds also suffer from it (the worst case I know was a Whippet) and the owners of the other breeds wanted to know if it was genetic or what as it affected their dog's show chances.

There were three main types as I remember - one - regular wax and wane accentuated by moult - two - gradually increasing loss - Three - Intermittent loss caused by external causes (stress of racing or kennel rub for example)

Anecdotally I have noted that BTS seemed to occur at around 4 years old and black dogs tend to be more affected.

The result was there was no single cause by genetic factors - but it did seem to be slightly connected to families (a grand daughter say had a marginally higher chance of BTS if say grand father suffered).

Stress does cause some greyhounds to lose fur - so removal from racing increased fur growth. The stress temporarily reduces production of hormones from the thyroid - causing hypothyroidism.

And a few actually have thyroid damage - but this is rare.

The survey did not recommend or even mention the addition of Melatonin to the diet for some reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the Melatonin works for two of my three - A fawn bitch with thinning outer thighs and a dog with a continual large bald area extending from the back to side of thighs.

Carl has SA, so I give him the melatonin with his breakfast. I think it does "take the edge" off for him, but I've given him melatonin and we had a busy day, so don't think it necessarily makes them sleepy. If you're concerned about that, it's just as easy and effective to give it at night before bed.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Melatonin grew fur in a nearly completely bald butted, chested, and necked boy here within a few weeks, and complete growth in a couple months. Some take a little longer as mentioned. I swear by it :) It makes the colors richer on my Borzoi too- they don't need help growing hair :lol

I took the Cs to our group's annual picnic today, everyone who touched him couldn't keep their hands off of him as his fur is just so lush and soft! He got a lot of lovin' today :lol He has been on the melatonin since about mid to late Feb.

Does the Melatonin make your grey's sleepy??? Any other side effects to know about?

I have not noticed any sleepiness or other negative side effects.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I give Lucky and Diamond melatonin- they are blowing their coats like crazy. Never had that happen pre-melatonin.

They do have really soft fur though

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Figmama

Interesting conversation about Melatonin, never heard that. Where do you get it?

Ranger had a bald butt when we got him 8+ years ago now. It seemed to gradually get in some hair over time, even though he was a good diet, etc.

However, when he started having some stomach issues (particularly gas - whew!!) I switched him over to Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach. I have no idea if that was the cause but the hair on his thighs started to fill in and have stayed that way. Due to his health problems the past couple of months, and now this lymphoma,he is shedding like crazy but I haven't noticed a bald bum yet.

I've had the best luck with Nature's Bounty, 3mg. I get it at Target, it's $5 or so. I understand it is also sold at CVS, but it's more there, $9 ($11 on line).

Edited by seeh2o

I give Lucky and Diamond melatonin- they are blowing their coats like crazy. Never had that happen pre-melatonin.

They do have really soft fur though

Since beginning melatonin, Wendy has been shedding tons! Blowing coat twice a year. I buy Solgar brand at the health food store. It is a brand that I trust.

Guest jettcricket

Another user of Melatonin...it's amazing. Their coats are nice and lush now so I only give it to them every 3rd day or so. And, no, I haven't notice any side effects. B)

Interesting conversation about Melatonin, never heard that. Where do you get it?

Ranger had a bald butt when we got him 8+ years ago now. It seemed to gradually get in some hair over time, even though he was a good diet, etc.

However, when he started having some stomach issues (particularly gas - whew!!) I switched him over to Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach. I have no idea if that was the cause but the hair on his thighs started to fill in and have stayed that way. Due to his health problems the past couple of months, and now this lymphoma,he is shedding like crazy but I haven't noticed a bald bum yet.

I'd talk to the vet before putting him on a supplement. My vet gave us the ok, but we don't have any health concerns other than Carl being hypothyroid.

Guest RichardUK

I'd talk to the vet before putting him on a supplement. My vet gave us the ok, but we don't have any health concerns other than Carl being hypothyroid.

Hate to point out but if he is hypo-thyroidal then he is very likely to have a bald butt anyway.

Carl before melatonin and very very bare

IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0782.jpg

Every scar visible

IMG_0721.jpgIMG_0734.jpg

He became slightly more furry after his hypothyroid condition was diagnosed and he began treatment, but only a little, not like it is now with the melatonin.

After...with buns of fur!

IMG_1518-1.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

Thick plush neck

IMG_1520.jpgIMG_1511.jpg

ETA that even the backs of his ears are now furry!

Edited by seeh2o