Bald Bum...and Getting Balder?

Guest ravenchilde

Guest RichardUK

Carl before melatonin and very very bare

IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0782.jpg

Every scar visible

IMG_0721.jpgIMG_0734.jpg

He became slightly more furry after his hypothyroid condition was diagnosed and he began treatment, but only a little, not like it is now with the melatonin.

After...with buns of fur!

IMG_1518-1.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

Thick plush neck

IMG_1520.jpgIMG_1511.jpg

ETA that even the backs of his ears are now furry!

An excellent testimonial! I'm sold!, I'll buy them when I go shopping - What dose is recommended - my Blackie is 90 lbs (his racing weight) please?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest june

I use melatonin for one of my girls who is afraid of storms. It doesn't make her sleepy but does relax her so that she isn't pacing, panting and drooling. She is a bare butt girl and I've thought about giving it to her on a regular basis but the lack of hair does not bother her or me :lol

june

Guest RichardUK

Carl weighs 72 lbs Claire 65, they both get 3mg a day.

He is even more furry now than he was in those after pictures!

Thanks for the Info - I'll get back to you in a month or so! :)

Guest katethegreyt

I'm using melatonin and fish oil, but I think the fish oil has done the most for my girl. When we got married, we left her with a friend and were just about out of fish oil. I figured we'd just forget about it for the week. She was still getting melatonin, but there was noticeable thinning after she'd been off the fish oil for a couple of weeks. She's back on it now, so we'll see if it grows back = ) If it does, I'll continue to rave about the fish oil like my dad does (he swears his own hair is softer and that he feels better).

Also, we used coconut oil for about a month, and I think it made a difference. Unfortunately, my girl went from loving it (licking it off the spoon and begging for it), to deciding it wasn't for her after about a month. Oh well. The fish oil still seems to be doing the trick.

I feed the melatonin at night, but I haven't noticed any side effects. My girl is 75 lbs and gets 3mg a day.

She came to us with a bald neck, belly, legs, and bum. Her neck is pretty much all filled out except for one spot where her tag collar sits in the front. Her legs have enough fine hair now that she's not quite so transparent in the sun (definitely got a lot of comments about that when we first got her), and her belly has a nice little peach fuzz on it (certainly nowhere near "fluffy" yet). Her bum is filled in quite well - it's still pretty bald right on the back, but it's nice and fuzzy all the way to that point. She even grew some hair around her lady bits, so it's not quite so x-rated when she roaches! She also is as soft as a bunny. Everyone comments on it = )

It seems to have helped her dry skin as well, and she hasn't had another big outbreak of staff on her belly. When we first got her, she quickly developed a nasty red rash on her belly that our vet said was staff. He also said it might always be something she needed medicine for during flare ups. We've only had her for a few months, but since switching her to TOTW and the melatonin+fish oil, she will get little bumps from time to time, but they never turn into a big rash like before.

Anyway, consider fish oil as well as melatonin = )

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I just use 3mg or 5mg, whatever is on sale. I'm not picky about the brand. Good results and no noticeable side effects.

Guest RichardUK

Found out I cannot buy Melatonin at Pharmacies or Health Shops needs a prescription - So have to buy on line. Ordered 360 tabs 3 mg.

I am considering adding fish oil too as his coat is not too good. It's shiny but permanently moulting.

Found out Melatonin is used to reduce anxiety in humans - and stress definitely causes bald bums! :)

I was cautioned by a vet to buy only "naturally derived" Melatonin for the hounds. (I give it occasionally for thunderphobic hounds.)

It's used as a sleep aid for humans. 3 mg. is enough for grogginess to linger throughout much of the following day.

Guest KsFrets

Read up on melatonin. It is does not cause sleepyness that's not already there. It's a sleep cycle regulator, not a downer like sleeping pills. My dogs show no additional grogginess on or off of it, and I've taken it, with no signs of grogginess. If I used my imagination, I might have gotten better quality sleep. As a recovering health nut, my personal actual experience is that Melatonin is an overrated waste of money for use as a sleep aid in humans or our dogs (their sleep habits, energy levels and personalities are unchanged). But used as a K9 Rogain... it's one of the few things I've ever encountered that's too good to be true, and really is.

Read up on melatonin. It is does not cause sleepyness that's not already there. It's a sleep cycle regulator, not a downer like sleeping pills. My dogs show no additional grogginess on or off of it, and I've taken it, with no signs of grogginess. If I used my imagination, I might have gotten better quality sleep. As a recovering health nut, my personal actual experience is that Melatonin is an overrated waste of money for use as a sleep aid in humans or our dogs (their sleep habits, energy levels and personalities are unchanged). But used as a K9 Rogain... it's one of the few things I've ever encountered that's too good to be true, and really is.

Yes, a sleep cycle regulator. I believe Melatonin tablets can affect people (and I assume dogs) differently.

Following is a snippet from Web MD:

"Melatonin does have side effects. But they will go away when you stop taking the supplement. Side effects may include:

• Sleepiness.
  • Lower body temperature.
  • Vivid dreams.
  • Morning grogginess.
  • Small changes in blood pressure.

If melatonin makes you feel drowsy, do not drive or operate machinery when you are taking it."

Full article link: http://www.webmd.com...atonin-overview

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest ravenchilde

Wow! That's awesome. I'm going to pick up some melatonin tonight! Glad there were no side effects!

How long did you have to give Melatonin to get their fur to grow in? And once the hair is in, can you discontinue the Melatonin, or does that make the hair fall out? I guess the question is: do you have to give melatonin forever to ensure that the fur remains in?

I started seeing fur sprout within about 3 weeks, but it takes longer than that for it to really grow and fill in. I took him off of it last summer and he did lose a lot of the fur, but not all of what he gained. I don't give it to him on my days off if I'm not leaving the house - it serves double duty for Carl as it takes the edge off of his SA.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have insomnia and I have taken as many as 20mg of melatonin at once myself to try to sleep. It had absolutely no effect on me.

Guest Timo

I tried giving Timo melatonin to grow his chest hair back, but it gave him bad diarrhea, so I had to stop. His chest definitely has less hair than when we first adopted him. :-( he's lost some hair on his bum, too. But, he refuses to sleep on a bed, and he really only likes a pillow for his head and arms. He likes the rest of his body on the floor. Goos thing we have carpet. In his crate, he moves all his bedding to one side, so that his bum is on the plastic pan....

Guest RichardUK

Well the Melatonin has arrived - I'm giving Blackie 3mg at night (as the directions suggests it is taken at night - No adverse reaction so far - he is as active as ever.

How long should it be before an increase in fur is noticed?

I'll continue for a month anyway - but I may give Blondie it too as she has thinning flanks if it is a success.

I noticed little sprouts of fur about 3 weeks in, but it takes longer than that for it to grow out and fill in. Carl has been on since Feb and, while he has filled in a lot, there are still new sprouts in some of the more stubborn bald areas on him. His chest is starting to look like he is gettin a 5:00 shadow!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest RichardUK

May I ask???? What's so bad about having a bald butt?? I love the shiney heineys!!

Well...... I want my dog to have a furry butt - because then I'm not stopped by passers-by asking what is wrong with my "poor dog" Too many mistake Bald Thigh Syndrome for Mange.

In addition bald butts are far more noticeable and may even be more common on black dogs. Around 90 to 95% of our dogs at the kennels are black. So whereas a dog with slight baldness will be accepted for adoption - a very bad case will not - so a lovely dog could spend a year or two at the kennels due to a bald butt before someone "takes pity" on him - not the best reason for adoption - also blocking that space from other dogs.

If I find that Melatonin does increase fur growth - then I can give it to all our bald butted kennel dogs increasing the speed of adoption reducing costs per dog. Plus I can advise adopters who ask about their adopted dog losing fur to use the cheap medication Melatonin - In the same way as I advise the use of "Seatone" as effective for arthritis.

In addition - Melatonin is a very cheap solution in comparison to Hypothyroid tests (around $1500 here) If it works - no tests required.

It's well documented here in the States that hypothyroidism has nothing to do with BTS. If supplemening helps you adopt dogs out quicker-- great! However, if your potentail adopters are overlooking a hound because they have less hair than another hound than, perhaphs they are not the adopters you are looking for-- little narrrow minded IMO. Just think it's kinda weird that so many are willing to supplement with a hormone just to modify a harmless condition because it became accecpted on an Internet board.

Not flaming just carry a different opinion than you do--btw I find my blackvhounds less than hairy butt enduring.

Edited by tbhounds

Count me another who wouldn't medicate for ordinary baldness .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RichardUK

It's well documented here in the States that hypothyroidism has nothing to do with BTS. If supplemening helps you adopt dogs out quicker-- great! However, if your potentail adopters are overlooking a hound because they have less hair than another hound than, perhaphs they are not the adopters you are looking for-- little narrrow minded IMO. Just think it's kinda weird that so many are willing to supplement with a hormone just to modify a harmless condition because it became accecpted on an Internet board.

Not flaming just carry a different opinion than you do--btw I find my blackvhounds less than hairy butt enduring.

It is well documented here that Bald Thigh Syndrome can be a symptom of Hypothyroidism - that is a dog with Hypothyroidism can present the Bald Thigh Syndrome there are of course other symptoms such as listlessness - as I said earlier on I took part in a research project by The Royal Veterinary College Hospital.

I'm sorry - many many dogs are initially chosen on appearance not through some idea of "rescuing" them - Frankly an adopter has every right to choose a dog for whatever reason they like - colour - size - sex - breed - temperament - or bald butt. Our return rate is very low because we try to match the dog to the potential adopter's wishes and generally succeed . In fact our adopters seem to return for replacements after keeping our dogs happy in superb condition for many years - just as the racing owners wanted - We've been adopting out greyhounds for 47 years at our kennels.

Here a bald butt is not accepted as normal but an aberration - in fact the condition is relatively rare here - the vast vast majority of dogs have and keep the butt covered. But when it does present itself then anything that can reduce the chances of the dog remaining in the kennels for years should be followed. That includes any form of medication that works. Just like treating for arthritis

So, let's see. If a dog is a little too lively for most adopters (or an individual owner), should we give him/her tranquilizers? Or say a dog is a bit too lazy -- how about amphetamines? And since many people don't like black dogs, why don't we see if there's a drug we can give them to turn them all blue?

Just does not make sense to me. People care about the health of their animals yet are willing to give an unneeded hormone in order to grow more hair solely for the sake of appearance.

BTW, the scientific studies done (and IIRC one of them was done in the UK) show no correlation between bald thighs and hypothyroidism. A dog with hypothyroidism may happen to have bald thighs, but that's coincidence. Supplementing with thyroid hormone tends to encourage hair growth whether the dog has baldness or not.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Since you claim to have "worked with" The Royal Veterinary College Hospital in the past did you contact them about the use of these product?? Just saying because you did mention that's it only available by script there-- I assume that a script is required for a reason.. Just because you can purchase it online does not mean you should supplement the kennel with it without the blessing of your vet.

I glad you have a high percentage of successful adoptions, give 'um what they want no matter what? Do I want to see a dog overlooked-- of course not but, to place a dog on a hormone without a vet's ok I don't agree with.

I won't elaborate on this further because you seem to know it all but, I would redo the homework when it comes to hypothyroidism and BTS. I can quote well documented articles but, you seem to have all the answers.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest RichardUK

So, let's see. If a dog is a little too lively for most adopters (or an individual owner), should we give him/her tranquilizers? Or say a dog is a bit too lazy -- how about amphetamines? And since many people don't like black dogs, why don't we see if there's a drug we can give them to turn them all blue?

Just does not make sense to me. People care about the health of their animals yet are willing to give an unneeded hormone in order to grow more hair solely for the sake of appearance.

BTW, the scientific studies done (and IIRC one of them was done in the UK) show no correlation between bald thighs and hypothyroidism. A dog with hypothyroidism may happen to have bald thighs, but that's coincidence. Supplementing with thyroid hormone tends to encourage hair growth whether the dog has baldness or not.

Sadly you didn't read the part where I said We take great care to match the adopters wants and the dogs we have - So none of your examples are applicable. The lifestyle of the adopter would dictate the activity level of the dog adopted - nor will we adopt a dog into a lifestyle that we feel is wrong for the dog - one of the reasons why crates are not needed in our adopter's homes - in fact we would repossess a dog if we found it so confined (as we own the dog) - the colour issue is completely superfluous. We also refuse to adopt into households that will leave a dog alone for more than four hours - pairs of dogs who we know can live together harmoniously - yes - one dog no.

Nor did you read that I want to know if Melatonin works so that I can advise adopters. I give them a choice. But I do not consider it is an unneeded hormone if it increases hair growth on places where normal greyhounds have hair and these dogs do not. As I said the BTS is very rare here and so people do not see it as normal.

If Melatonin works to increase fur growth to a level that a normal greyhound has - then I will use it - as has a number of posters on this list. I consider it no different from giving a medication to rebalance something else. I do find this amusing when I consider some people chop tails off or crop ears for the sake of appearance - something illegal here thankfully.