Sudden Blindness?

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Duke has been acting really off the last few days but this morning, just now, he got up and was completely dis-oriented. I thought he was wanting to go into the back yard but when he got up he started walking into things. Then he froze up and started walking towards the wall. I looked at his eyes and it seems they are completely dilated.

I PM'd Judy (Jilly'sFullHouse) because she went through this with one of her greys. Poor Duke, and poor you! You've been through so much with him.

Editing to add: do a search in the H&M forum and there's quite a few postings about blindness, unfortunately.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytbookert

oh gosh, poor Duke! Given that he was coughing up stuff the other day, I'd take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Sending good thoughts for Duke!

Guest Gideon

thanks!

he's been lethargic the last few days and his back legs are very weak now. Haven't been through that much with him otherwise unti this past week.

I don't if he's a live strong/burn out fast kind of dog or what. He's really been very easy overall the entire 8 years we've had him.

But I keep thinking his time is with us is coming to an end.

Don't say that, Gideon. Take him to the vet and see what happens. Are you sure he can't see. Is it possible that something vestibular is going on.

Phene's pupils no longer contract. His eyesight is fine.

Please keep us posted, ok.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KennelMom

I'm sorry to hear your pup isn't doing well :( Hopefully Judy will see this and add her advice and experience. They went through sudden blindness with Emmy and a few other complications that went with it. Sending prayers that whatever is going on is treatable :hope

Guest Gideon

i just tested with a pice of liverwurst, moving it around. he couldn't see my hands.

he stopped coughing stuff up the evening i posted about it. but, yeah, vet trip is in order.

Guest larock

Sounds Neurological. Our grey went through something similar, after testing he was put on prednisone and the recovery was remarkable.

Guest Gideon

he's got some of it back, at least enough to see me put a treat on the floor but enough to track it if I move my hand quickly.

i spoke with Wolf at NGAP and we're getting him checked out later today.

he needs teeth pulled and his hind legs are weak too. don't know if he can really withstand all the stuff/recovery so we're prepared for the worst.

Sending best thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ask the vet about SARDs, too. Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration, my beloved Sheila lost her sight within a matter of hours to it. She was able to see some shadows for a while after that, but that went away, too after a couple of years. There were other symptoms that preceded it, hers were Cushings-like. An ophthalmologist visit is probably in order, too. Sending prayers for your sweet Duke.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We went through this with Emmy. Her's unfortunately was a brain tumor. She also was diagnosed with Cushings right after losing her sight. It can be horribly frightening for him as well as you. If you find that his loss of sight is permanent, there are many things you can do to help him transition easily. I'll keep watching this post to see what the vet says.

He can adapt to the loss of his eyes. Emmy was eventually able to go outside by herself and learned to walk up and down the stairs. His other senses will go into overdrive and help him.

Hoping for good news from the vet.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BiancasMom

He could also have high blood pressure. Definitely get him to a vet soon! Just because he is old doesn't mean there is nothing they can do. They could give him anitibotics for his teeth to atleast make him more comfortable. If he is painful in his rear, maybe you can try Tramadol?

Best wishes for you.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Oh, the poor boy! This has to be so upsetting for you. Please let us know how the vet visit goes. In the meantime, we'll be sending lots of good thoughts your way.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Gideon

His vision failure combined with his unsteadiness and deteriorating hind quarters meant that he would not get better and live a life any of us wanted, most of all him. So let him go today.

Thank you for being so supportive.

Mods, I guess you can close this thread now.

No, Gideon!!!! Duke was so special! I'm so very sorry. I so didn't expect this :grouphug

I'm sure that Loca is eagerly awaiting his arrival at the Bridge.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm sorry to read this. Was hoping for a better outcome.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.