Would Love Your Help And Support! (My Limping Greyhound)

Guest asianpeanut

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest asianpeanut

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and resources and loving support. It means more than words can describe:).

I felt like I could barely get out of bed this morning, I feel so devestated and sad. I am going to make an appointment with the oncologist today and will do some internet research on treatment options, however I don't want to put him through a lot of suffering. Well, I will wait to hear what the oncologist says.

Thanks everyone:)

Jennifer and Baker :bighug

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry. I have been down that road twice now and I well understand your grief. I chose not to amputate and just treat the pain. Jack lived for 6 months post diagnosis and Jilly just two days. Whatever you decision you make, and I guarantee you will second guess yourself many times, it will be a decision made with love and your boy, Baker, will know that. grouphug.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so sorry it isn't nothing. :( You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you'll have lots of support in figuring things out. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Tes623

I'm so sorry about the diagnoses. My girl Tawnie was diagnosed with osteo in the front shoulder in January. She's going to be 14 in June. We decided not to amputate and just to make her as comfortable as possible. So far she's been fine and relatively pain free. The only time she whines is because she's hungry as she recently has decided that she doesn't eat dog food anymore and only has treats. The vet said that was fine as long as she's still eating just give her whatever she wants :blush Best of luck with whatever you decide for your baby.

Guest boondog

I'm so sorry. I don't have anything to add to what everyone else has said, but I want you to know you and Baker are in my thoughts.

Jennifer, I am so sorry to read that it was confirmed that Baker has Osteo. Our Charlie is fighting the same battle and he is now 10mths post amputation. We chose amputation and chemo because a) it relieves the pain (the amp), B) while chemo is not required after amp, it has shown to help with longevity and it's basically to help reduce/kill any cancer cells that may have spread (likelihood is that 90% of the time it will have already) and finally c) Charlie was only 7 years old when diagnosed and full of life. Far too young and too soon to say goodbye. The link that Tricia posted (aka 45MPHK) has a lot of good information as well as Dr. Coutu's and OSU's contact information. Even if you choose not to go the amp & chemo route, it is a good idea to contact them as they are a fantastic team. As for a biopsy, do you mean a fine needle aspirate? You can send thet the films to OSU for a second opinion. You can have your vet send them and they arrive quickly if they are digital, otherwise have them over-nighted.

Your options if you have not already have discussed them are:

1) Pain management - usually a combination of drugs, e.g. Tramadol, Gabapentin, etc. This is to hopefully reduce the pain however it will not eliminate it. Eventually the pain will become too much for your pup and you will be forced to make a very difficult decision. A pup can live a few weeks to several months. Jen (aka NeylasMum) fought long and hard for Neyla and she lived for 7 months post diagnosis. She did a lot of research and is a wealth of knowledge if you choose to go this route.

2) Amputation alone - this takes away the pain as Osteo is VERY painful for your pup. The cost ranges from $2k-5k depending on several factors, the location where you live, the number of days your pup stays in the hospital and the meds prescribed. Our cost was around $5k as we chose to keep Charlie at the hospital for 4.5 days as we felt we would be better to cope/adjust when he came home as he would be more settled.

3) Amputation & chemo - this takes away the pain and hopefully helps reduce/eliminate cancer cells that have already spread. The chemo drugs are Carboplatin and Doxyrubicin, both as good as the other. You can research all you want, I have done it and many before me have, neither guarantees you 'X' months. The chemo is usually fairly easy on your pup with the possibility of some stomach upset but that can be treated with PepcidAC, etc. The cost ranges again and as already stated, OSU will provide the chemo drugs free to your vet. The cost for bloodwork and the vets time can range from $1500-3000, again depending on several factors.

We chose #3, amputation and chemo because we felt it would give Charlie his best chance. If he was a lot older and suffered from other ailments, this would have weighed heavily on our decision. This in the end is your decision and please know, too many of us know how hard it is and our hearts go out to you. If you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask here or send me an e-mail at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com if you have questions about option #3.

Please give Baker a hug from me.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest asianpeanut

Jennifer, I am so sorry to read that it was confirmed that Baker has Osteo. Our Charlie is fighting the same battle and he is now 10mths post amputation. We chose amputation and chemo because a) it relieves the pain (the amp), B) while chemo is not required after amp, it has shown to help with longevity and it's basically to help reduce/kill any cancer cells that may have spread (likelihood is that 90% of the time it will have already) and finally c) Charlie was only 7 years old when diagnosed and full of life. Far too young and too soon to say goodbye. The link that Tricia posted (aka 45MPHK) has a lot of good information as well as Dr. Coutu's and OSU's contact information. Even if you choose not to go the amp & chemo route, it is a good idea to contact them as they are a fantastic team. As for a biopsy, do you mean a fine needle aspirate? You can send thet the films to OSU for a second opinion. You can have your vet send them and they arrive quickly if they are digital, otherwise have them over-nighted.

Your options if you have not already have discussed them are:

1) Pain management - usually a combination of drugs, e.g. Tramadol, Gabapentin, etc. This is to hopefully reduce the pain however it will not eliminate it. Eventually the pain will become too much for your pup and you will be forced to make a very difficult decision. A pup can live a few weeks to several months. Jen (aka NeylasMum) fought long and hard for Neyla and she lived for 7 months post diagnosis. She did a lot of research and is a wealth of knowledge if you choose to go this route.

2) Amputation alone - this takes away the pain as Osteo is VERY painful for your pup. The cost ranges from $2k-5k depending on several factors, the location where you live, the number of days your pup stays in the hospital and the meds prescribed. Our cost was around $5k as we chose to keep Charlie at the hospital for 4.5 days as we felt we would be better to cope/adjust when he came home as he would be more settled.

3) Amputation & chemo - this takes away the pain and hopefully helps reduce/eliminate cancer cells that have already spread. The chemo drugs are Carboplatin and Doxyrubicin, both as good as the other. You can research all you want, I have done it and many before me have, neither guarantees you 'X' months. The chemo is usually fairly easy on your pup with the possibility of some stomach upset but that can be treated with PepcidAC, etc. The cost ranges again and as already stated, OSU will provide the chemo drugs free to your vet. The cost for bloodwork and the vets time can range from $1500-3000, again depending on several factors.

We chose #3, amputation and chemo because we felt it would give Charlie his best chance. If he was a lot older and suffered from other ailments, this would have weighed heavily on our decision. This in the end is your decision and please know, too many of us know how hard it is and our hearts go out to you. If you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask here or send me an e-mail at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com if you have questions about option #3.

Please give Baker a hug from me.

Kyle

Thanks so much Kyle for such a thoughtful and detailed response. That is extremely helpful! I am going to the oncologist on Thursday and will know more then. I am leaning towards the approach of keeping him as comfortable as long as possible, but haven't really deliberated yet. I used to be an acupuncturist and herbalist and even treated pets with these modalities for a couple years, so I may go the Chinese medicine and holistic route to give him as much time as possible. A big part of what makes this so difficult is making these heart-wrenching decisions, and of course looking at my baby and actually seeing an end in sight:(. This forum has been such a gift and made this process easier for me. Bless you all so much!

No advice ...just good thoughts!

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Thank you so much!:)

So sorry to hear about the x-ray results, Jennifer. Here's a link to the free consultation service with Dr. Couto's greyhound group at Ohio State. Sending good thoughts for both you and Baker.

ETA: I hope your vet went ahead and started your boy on some stronger pain meds. If it's bone cancer, the homeopathic options won't be enough to keep him comfortable.

Thank you so much for that resource! I will definately do that! I got some pain meds for him yesterday and he is feeling much better, thanks:)

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts:)

Unfortunately Jen, there are too many of us here on this board that have been in your shoes. We can cry with you, support you and tell you what we've done.

The agonizingly difficult decision however is only yours.

But, I will tell you what I went thru.

My 12 yr old Diamond started limping and I knew almost immediately it was cancer because it was a different kind of pain. It was confirmed and I drove all the way from NJ to OSU so that Dr. Couto would see her. Since he's worked with more greyhounds than any other hospital I wanted his opinion on if my 12 yr old could live as a tripod.

We spent the whole day there and she got prodded and poked and examined from top to bottom. The conclusion was that yes, she could be a tripod, but her recovery might take a little longer.

The next day, we amputated her right front leg (OS of the shoulder). This was Friday. Sat I visited her and while I was prepared to see her without a leg, I wasn't prepared for her reaction, and it bothered me immensely how upset she was. By Sunday, she had accepted what had happened was motoring on 3 legs and the staff said they had a hard time keeping up with her. Everyone was surprised at how fast she was recovering. She was discharge Tuesday morning and we drove back to NJ that day.

She was doing so well that I had to hold her back because I think she forgot that the leg was gone sometimes. The only big change I did for her was build her a ramp to go outside. But, she always had trouble with stairs to begin with.

Dima only had 6 months with me before OS took another leg. But, she was VERY happy and pain free. Even chasing deer. I had a hard time keeping up with her.

It took about 2 weeks before my Dima was herself after the surgery. The pain meds made her anxious. But when I took her off her meds, and saw how happy she was, that was when I realized I made the right decision. I agonized 1 whole month about that decision, to the point I was making myself sick and lost about 5 lbs.

I think all of us go thru the same thing whether they opted for the surgery or not.

But just remember whatever decision you make, you are making it out of love for him. It's not the wrong decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It sounds like an awful experience what you went through:(. It is comforting though to hear everyone's story and know that we share this experience. Makes me feel not so alone.

Thanks again:)

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry. I have been down that road twice now and I well understand your grief. I chose not to amputate and just treat the pain. Jack lived for 6 months post diagnosis and Jilly just two days. Whatever you decision you make, and I guarantee you will second guess yourself many times, it will be a decision made with love and your boy, Baker, will know that. grouphug.gif

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am leaning towards the approach that you took and it was comforting to hear that there are people who go that route. It seems a lot of people go the amputation/chemo route and I don't know if I want to do that. Did you worry about them breaking a bone? That is my major concern I think. Did the cancer metastasize pretty quickly?

Thank you for your help and support!

Jennifer

Lots of information in this GT Osteo Thread.

I am sorry that the news wasn't better. Thinking about you and your doggie and wishing you all the best.

Hi Jen,

Kyle said in his post that you opted not to go the amputation/chemo route and did a lot of research on keeping them as comfortable as possible. I am really leaning toward that route. Could you share with me some of the things that you did?

Thank you so much!

Jennifer

You mentioned acupuncture, so I just wanted to add, whatever you decide, acupuncture can help. One of my dogs had acupuncture (for a non-cancer condition), and her vet was primarily an oncologist who learned acupuncture to help her cancer patients. :bighug

Jack had a slow growing tumour with a fairly intact bone structure. He was absolutely comfortable with Tramadol and Meloxicam for six monthes. Yes I did worry to some degree about a fracture, I made the decision that life was to be lived. He was pretty self limiting if something was too much. But honestly for most of his remaining time , you would have been hard pressed to know he was sick at all.

With Jill it was entirely different. She had no presenting signs of disease until the day she refused to weight bear. Her bone was almost gone. She would have fractured that leg. Since I was not amputating, I let her go very quickly.

Although natural remedies may appeal to you, please please get your boy started on analgesia asap. And don't be shy using it absolutely as is necessary. You really need to stay ahead of the pain not try to beat it back. Accupuncture may be very helpful. Sometimes the compensating muscles can spasm so massage is also helpful.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest asianpeanut

Jack had a slow growing tumour with a fairly intact bone structure. He was absolutely comfortable with Tramadol and Meloxicam for six monthes. Yes I did worry to some degree about a fracture, I made the decision that life was to be lived. He was pretty self limiting if something was too much. But honestly for most of his remaining time , you would have been hard pressed to know he was sick at all.

With Jill it was entirely different. She had no presenting signs of disease until the day she refused to weight bear. Her bone was almost gone. She would have fractured that leg. Since I was not amputating, I let her go very quickly.

Although natural remedies may appeal to you, please please get your boy started on analgesia asap. And don't be shy using it absolutely as is necessary. You really need to stay ahead of the pain not try to beat it back. Accupuncture may be very helpful. Sometimes the compensating muscles can spasm so massage is also helpful.

Thanks so much for the follow-up info! :) The vet gave me Rimadyl and Tramadol. So far I have just given him the Rimadyl (since Monday evening) and yesterday he was feeling much better! It felt so good to see him enjoying himself again, wanting to take a walk, eating a lot, and even drinking my tea that I left on my endtable as he tends to do. I never thought I would be so happy to see the tea splatters that were evidence of that, as it meant that he was feeling better!:) I am going to oncologist tomorrow to get more details on what is going on. Is it necessary to do the fine-needle biopsy though if you are not planning on amputating?

Other than that I just plan on doing the pain meds, giving a Chinese herbal formula, giving acupuncture and making any necessary dietary changes. This approach feels right to me, for the same reasons you noted.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me! Hearing it helped me to arrive at the decision that felt right in my heart:)

Hugs,

Jennifer

Hi Jen,

Kyle said in his post that you opted not to go the amputation/chemo route and did a lot of research on keeping them as comfortable as possible. I am really leaning toward that route. Could you share with me some of the things that you did?

Thank you so much!

Jennifer

I think this is directed to me? :) If so, I did choose to go the palliative/holistic route. I did of course first and foremost pain management using mostly meds, although I also tried IV pamidronate. Otherwise, I did a variety of supplements including fish oil, artemisinin, maitake extract and a few others.

My suggestion would be to go to the osteo thread that someone else pointed you to earlier first - there is a lot of really good information in the first post, including a link to teh original thread (we're unfortunately on our second thread). Much of what I and others who did holistic care did is in those threads. It's a ton to read through and it can be difficult emotionally to do it, so you could try skimming for relevant information. I'm happy to answer more specific questions as well, but I think much of what I could tell you is already there.

The other thing I cannot stress enough is to educate yourself about pain management options and get ahead of it by being prepared. Have meds on hand that you don't need yet and know how to increase dosages or introduce new meds so that if you start to see pain when your vet is unavailable you do not have to wait. I really can't stress this enough - bone cancer is PAINFUL and worst thing is to know your pup is in pain and not know what to do about it. In addition to Rimadyl and Tramadol, you should talk to your vet about Gabapentin and you migth also want to look into whether you would consider using palliative radiation or pamidronate. There was a good thread about pamidronate recently, and there's also an article I linked to on the first page of the most recent osteo thread that discusses pain management in osteo.

I'm truly sorry for your pup's diagnosis. I obviously know how difficult it is to receive it and make decisions about care, but it's a good sign taht you've caught it early. Hopefully you'll have many more months together.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm sorry :cry1 As others have suggested, please consult with Dr. Couto at Ohio State. He's the expert.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Jennifer & Baker:

I'm so sorry to hear that miserable diagnosis.

I have no further advice.....just wanted to send my best wises & hugs to you both.

I hope you have a goodly amount of quality time left to love & make memories.

Kathy, DesiRay, Skeeter

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I am sorry, I have no advice.... My Champ (my first greyhound) had stomach cancer and we lost him only 10 days after his dental. He had good blood work done and everything, we lost him at only 10. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Baker!!!!! :grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest asianpeanut

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your love, support, information and for sharing your own heartbreaking stories. I would like to write more but have been so busy and need to rush off. More this weekend...

Went to vet oncologist yesterday to confirm diagnosis and was heartbroken to hear he may only have a few months.:(((((

I don't know about the radiation. Thoughts? I don't know if I should do it and if so, when...

With pain meds he has been alright this week..

Thanks everyone!

Sending love and support right back!

Jennifer

Guest Shermanator

I am so sorry to hear about Baker. This is our story-

We lost our heart dogs Sherman and Patton last summer to osteo within 6 weeks of each other. We were devestated. Sherman was only 9, Patton was only 8.

Our choice for our boys was palliative care- just keeping them as pain free as possible, as long as they could keep their quality of life. We did not want to put our boys through any chemo or amputate, we did not want them to go through that truama to keep them alive for several more months. When they were diagnosed, it was already too late- they were both stoic boys, who did not present with pain until the cancer was advanced. We let Sherman go after 2 weeks, and Patton after 5 days. We were unprepared to lose them so fast, and I was inconsolable. They were my babies, my first greyhounds, we only had @ 6 years with them. They were so young.

We let them go as soon as we saw the pain was not being managed and they started to lose their quality of life. Sherman did not want to use the dog door (he loved to be outside all the time,) and Patton laid in the bedroom alone, refusing to come out and chew his beloved bones (he was such a social boy, always up for something.) I wanted them to be able to walk into the vet under their own power, and wanted them to die with dignity and grace. (I work for hospice.) That was my last gift to them.

For their last days with us, we lived them like they were their last. Lots of photos, love, and all the toys and bones they could ever dream of. They wanted the chicken we were eating for dinner? Yep, we gave them some. :) Their last nights with us, we had a little party for each of them, having some friends and family over to say goodbye, and smother them with kisses and hugs, one last time. We celebrated their lives. And Mc Donalds hamburgers - both boys' kryptonite. :)

We kept their ashes, and they are stored in a little cabinet in our entertainment center. Its comforting to me, to know they are there.

We did immediately adopt after losing each boy. The quietness of a 1 dog household was horrible for us. We now have 2 little girlies, who have brought us joy, in those dark times. We didn't replace our boys, we honored their memories by saving 2 sweet greys, who desperately needed a loving home.

Was it easy? No. Do I still cry for my boys? Yep. But as some time has passed, the pain is fading, and we are able to remember them with joys. :)

Some people have had some succes with amputation and chemo/radiation. It is your personal choice for Baker, what you think is best for him, you know him so well. No one with judge you for your decisions. We know you want what is best for Baker. We chose palliative care for our babies because we felt is was best for them, and our family. We had Sherman and Patton to think of, as well as our financial situation, and our lifestyles. For example, neither of us have flexible jobs that would allow us to take several weeks off, or stay at home and work, to take care of the boys. Also, we knew our boys. Sherman would have most likely gone into a deep depression, following a possible major surgery and/or chemo. We was such a sensitive boy. Patton, well he did not tolerate pain well, and hated being quiet. We had to amputate a toe for him several months ago for a corn, and he was a mess- any discomfort drove him crazy (he was such a wuss). :) and keeping him quiet to heal made him nuts- so much whining! We were being honest with ourselves, and Sherman and Patton. If someone judges me for that, well then, they can stuff it. :) I am at peace with my decisions.

Guest asianpeanut

I am so sorry to hear about Baker. This is our story-

We lost our heart dogs Sherman and Patton last summer to osteo within 6 weeks of each other. We were devestated. Sherman was only 9, Patton was only 8.

Our choice for our boys was palliative care- just keeping them as pain free as possible, as long as they could keep their quality of life. We did not want to put our boys through any chemo or amputate, we did not want them to go through that truama to keep them alive for several more months. When they were diagnosed, it was already too late- they were both stoic boys, who did not present with pain until the cancer was advanced. We let Sherman go after 2 weeks, and Patton after 5 days. We were unprepared to lose them so fast, and I was inconsolable. They were my babies, my first greyhounds, we only had @ 6 years with them. They were so young.

We let them go as soon as we saw the pain was not being managed and they started to lose their quality of life. Sherman did not want to use the dog door (he loved to be outside all the time,) and Patton laid in the bedroom alone, refusing to come out and chew his beloved bones (he was such a social boy, always up for something.) I wanted them to be able to walk into the vet under their own power, and wanted them to die with dignity and grace. (I work for hospice.) That was my last gift to them.

For their last days with us, we lived them like they were their last. Lots of photos, love, and all the toys and bones they could ever dream of. They wanted the chicken we were eating for dinner? Yep, we gave them some. :) Their last nights with us, we had a little party for each of them, having some friends and family over to say goodbye, and smother them with kisses and hugs, one last time. We celebrated their lives. And Mc Donalds hamburgers - both boys' kryptonite. :)

We kept their ashes, and they are stored in a little cabinet in our entertainment center. Its comforting to me, to know they are there.

We did immediately adopt after losing each boy. The quietness of a 1 dog household was horrible for us. We now have 2 little girlies, who have brought us joy, in those dark times. We didn't replace our boys, we honored their memories by saving 2 sweet greys, who desperately needed a loving home.

Was it easy? No. Do I still cry for my boys? Yep. But as some time has passed, the pain is fading, and we are able to remember them with joys. :)

Some people have had some succes with amputation and chemo/radiation. It is your personal choice for Baker, what you think is best for him, you know him so well. No one with judge you for your decisions. We know you want what is best for Baker. We chose palliative care for our babies because we felt is was best for them, and our family. We had Sherman and Patton to think of, as well as our financial situation, and our lifestyles. For example, neither of us have flexible jobs that would allow us to take several weeks off, or stay at home and work, to take care of the boys. Also, we knew our boys. Sherman would have most likely gone into a deep depression, following a possible major surgery and/or chemo. We was such a sensitive boy. Patton, well he did not tolerate pain well, and hated being quiet. We had to amputate a toe for him several months ago for a corn, and he was a mess- any discomfort drove him crazy (he was such a wuss). :) and keeping him quiet to heal made him nuts- so much whining! We were being honest with ourselves, and Sherman and Patton. If someone judges me for that, well then, they can stuff it. :) I am at peace with my decisions.

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. It comforts me to hear how others went through the same thing. I too have decided for just palliative care and to make his life as comfortable as possible for however long he has left. I haven't decided yet about the palliative radiation. It sounds like you didn't do that? I think what is troubling me the most right now is wondering how will I know when it is time to let him go? I have never had a dog of my own before, so this is all new to me. He whines every now and then even with the pain meds (the pain isn't too bad at this point), but it breaks my heart to hear him in pain at all.

This all happened so incredibly fast it is hard to believe that it is really happening and that I am going to lose my baby soon:( I can't imagine life without him.

Thanks again for sharing and for your support. This forum has been so helpful and everyone has been so incredibly sweet.

Hugs,

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I'm not one to reply too much on sad stories b/c they are just too painful. My grey is my first pet as well and I'm already dreading that terrible day and he's only five. I also can't imagine life without him. Please find solace in knowing what a wonderful life YOU gave him no matter if it was a few months or many years. This day is inevitable, but you did and will do all you can to keep him comfortable. Many prayers for you and Baker. I can't fathom how your coping... I'm so sorry.

Guest asianpeanut

I am sorry, I have no advice.... My Champ (my first greyhound) had stomach cancer and we lost him only 10 days after his dental. He had good blood work done and everything, we lost him at only 10. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Baker!!!!! :grouphug :grouphug

That is so awful! That must have been heartbreaking! Thanks so much for sharing your story and for your kind words:)

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I'm not one to reply too much on sad stories b/c they are just too painful. My grey is my first pet as well and I'm already dreading that terrible day and he's only five. I also can't imagine life without him. Please find solace in knowing what a wonderful life YOU gave him no matter if it was a few months or many years. This day is inevitable, but you did and will do all you can to keep him comfortable. Many prayers for you and Baker. I can't fathom how your coping... I'm so sorry.

Thank you so much for your sweet words, that is very comforting to hear:) Your Chance is absolutely adorable! Give a hug for me:)

Jennifer

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. It comforts me to hear how others went through the same thing. I too have decided for just palliative care and to make his life as comfortable as possible for however long he has left. I haven't decided yet about the palliative radiation. It sounds like you didn't do that? I think what is troubling me the most right now is wondering how will I know when it is time to let him go? I have never had a dog of my own before, so this is all new to me. He whines every now and then even with the pain meds (the pain isn't too bad at this point), but it breaks my heart to hear him in pain at all.

This all happened so incredibly fast it is hard to believe that it is really happening and that I am going to lose my baby soon:( I can't imagine life without him.

Thanks again for sharing and for your support. This forum has been so helpful and everyone has been so incredibly sweet.

Hugs,

Jennifer

Regarding the palliative radiation, it does require 2 days in a row of anesthesia so I think you would want to take into consideration whether your pup has a history of issues with anesthesia and whether he enjoys spending time at the vet or would be really stressed by it. The same is true of IV pamidronate although minus the anesthesia. Both treatments are also very expensive so that may be a consideration for you. However, the potential benefit of either or both imo is greater pain relief over a longer period of time. Which leads to the last consideration, if the bone deterioration continues to progress, but the pain is masked by the treatment, there is the possibility of your pup overdoing it and fracturing his leg. For Neyla, I decided I would no do either if x-rays showed bone damage that risked a fracture b/c I absolutely did not want that to be her final moments (a break requires amputation or anesthesia immediately), but when she needed the pamidronate, her x-rays showed the lesion still hadn't progressed much.

It's tricky to weigh the pros and cons. Personally, I think both are good options if your pup doesn't mind the vet, you don't have issues iwth teh cost, and the lesion isn't particularly progressed.

As far as when to make the decision, I believe sooner is always better than later. Bone cancer is very painful. If your pup is showing visible signs of pain, then imo the pain is not controlled enough and pain meds needs to be increased if they can or the call needs to be made. But that's me. I would much prefer not to risk my pup being in pain for a few days or weeks more for myself. Having said that, things can change dramatically quickly and it can be difficult to make a decision quickly. Alternatively, the progression can be slow, which can make it hard to see the ultimately drastic change. For me, I watched videos I had taken of Neyla only a few months earlier and it became apparent that while she wasn't in significant pain and still had that brightness in her eyes, she was not able to have the life she loved. Specifically, she was not able to run and play with her toys anymore so I decided it was time. I gave myself another week to enjoy and spoil her and frankly, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have. Things had progressed slowly for us but in that last week her cancer exploded. Her leg swelled, her pain got worse and it became more of a challenge to manage with meds, her interest in food started to wane (and she NEVER had issues eating her entire life). I don't regret any of my decisions, I did the best I could in the moment and I had to somehow process what was happening for myself, which was incredibly difficult given that she was my first dog, and my heart dog, but I would do things a bit differently if I could go back in time.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, just sharing my experience I guess. I think the most helpful advice I received was to pick the 3 things your dog loves the most and when they can no longer do them, it's time. For Neyla, mine were eating, playing, and snuggling on the couch with me. By the time I made the decision, she was no longer playing or interested in getting on the couch and the food, like I said, came shortly after that. I think it's better to decide ahead and then try to objectively stick to it. The videos really helped me with that.

So sorry you need to be thinking about these things. :( Sorry for my rambling. :blah

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest asianpeanut

Hi Kelly,

Hugs,

Jennifer

Regarding the palliative radiation, it does require 2 days in a row of anesthesia so I think you would want to take into consideration whether your pup has a history of issues with anesthesia and whether he enjoys spending time at the vet or would be really stressed by it. The same is true of IV pamidronate although minus the anesthesia. Both treatments are also very expensive so that may be a consideration for you. However, the potential benefit of either or both imo is greater pain relief over a longer period of time. Which leads to the last consideration, if the bone deterioration continues to progress, but the pain is masked by the treatment, there is the possibility of your pup overdoing it and fracturing his leg. For Neyla, I decided I would no do either if x-rays showed bone damage that risked a fracture b/c I absolutely did not want that to be her final moments (a break requires amputation or anesthesia immediately), but when she needed the pamidronate, her x-rays showed the lesion still hadn't progressed much.

It's tricky to weigh the pros and cons. Personally, I think both are good options if your pup doesn't mind the vet, you don't have issues iwth teh cost, and the lesion isn't particularly progressed.

As far as when to make the decision, I believe sooner is always better than later. Bone cancer is very painful. If your pup is showing visible signs of pain, then imo the pain is not controlled enough and pain meds needs to be increased if they can or the call needs to be made. But that's me. I would much prefer not to risk my pup being in pain for a few days or weeks more for myself. Having said that, things can change dramatically quickly and it can be difficult to make a decision quickly. Alternatively, the progression can be slow, which can make it hard to see the ultimately drastic change. For me, I watched videos I had taken of Neyla only a few months earlier and it became apparent that while she wasn't in significant pain and still had that brightness in her eyes, she was not able to have the life she loved. Specifically, she was not able to run and play with her toys anymore so I decided it was time. I gave myself another week to enjoy and spoil her and frankly, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have. Things had progressed slowly for us but in that last week her cancer exploded. Her leg swelled, her pain got worse and it became more of a challenge to manage with meds, her interest in food started to wane (and she NEVER had issues eating her entire life). I don't regret any of my decisions, I did the best I could in the moment and I had to somehow process what was happening for myself, which was incredibly difficult given that she was my first dog, and my heart dog, but I would do things a bit differently if I could go back in time.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, just sharing my experience I guess. I think the most helpful advice I received was to pick the 3 things your dog loves the most and when they can no longer do them, it's time. For Neyla, mine were eating, playing, and snuggling on the couch with me. By the time I made the decision, she was no longer playing or interested in getting on the couch and the food, like I said, came shortly after that. I think it's better to decide ahead and then try to objectively stick to it. The videos really helped me with that.

So sorry you need to be thinking about these things. :( Sorry for my rambling. :blah

Hi Kelly,

Thanks so much for what you call the "rambling", it was very helpful!:) That really helped me get clearer on some aspects of knowing when it is time. His pain and limping seemed much improved with the Rimadyl, but now he is limping again and will be adding the traumadol more regularly now. Now since the limping is progressed I am going to think long and hard today about doing the Pamidronate. I have decided not to do the palliative radiation, it just seems like too much on a number of different levels.

I am becoming increasingly stressed and worried over how things are progressing and the inevitability that lies in the not-so-distant future. It is all so terribly difficult.

THank you so much for the information and support:)

Hugs,

Jennifer