Has Anyone Actually Been Able To Train Greyhound Recall?

Guest der_Windhund

79 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone actually been able to train greyhound good recall?

• Yes, my greyhound comes every time
    • Somewhat, comes when he feels like it
    • No, never comes when called

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Swift, it only gets locked when people start calling other people names... Oh wait, I was called a name.

You are correct though. The important thing here is that people understand there really is no such thing as 100% recall, with any dog for that matter, let alone a retired racing greyhound that has been bred for many years to be an independent hunter of all small things running fast. I posted "trust a deadly disease" which should explain in painful detail of what can happen.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with drawing attention to the fact that many people who trust their dogs to recall end up with big vet bills and a corpse, or an unending, heartbreaking search? Nobody's said not to train recall. Couple people have simply given some cautions in relying on it.

I think the point was just that there have been many other threads specifically about off-leashing hounds and why it's dangerous. It was also touched on here and "Trust: A Deadly Disease" was posted as well. The initial point of the thread was not about off-leashing hounds, it was about recall and the need to bring up off-leashing would be in the context of how having good recall can save a hound's life in the event of an accidental escape. I don't think we need to dwell on this. If anyone wants to debate the off-leash issue they're more than welcome to start a new thread about off-leashing. This is just about recall.

Aside from the accidental escape having recall can save a dog's life in other ways. Imagine there was a fire in my apartment. The apartment has a front door which is the one we use to get in and out. We also have a door at the back of the apartment that leads up to the main floor of the house (we live in the basement) where our landlord lives. Summit hates the floors beyond the kitchen. In fact the rabbits also hate it. We're not sure why since the floor in the living room is exactly the same (as far as we can tell anyway, there's obviously a difference to the animals). To get to the alternate door you have to go through the kitchen and into the hallway that leads to the bathroom. Summit has never ventured down there on his own. But he will follow me if encouraged because his recall is that good. Imagine he had no recall and there's a fire in my apartment blocking the front door. We would have to use the alternate escape route. In thick smoke, in an emergency situation, probably already trying to hold onto 3 terrified rabbits, I would really not be in a position to pick Summit up and carry him. In normal circumstances I can barely lift him (he's 75 lbs and I'm 110 lbs). Being able to recall NO MATTER WHAT will save his life and potentially mine (I'm not going to leave him there obviously and I could be overcome by smoke inhalation trying to lift/drag him). So recall is important for non-leash related emergencies.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest der_Windhund

I am always nervous posting on this site after reading different threads and how they turn into nasty unwarranted debates.

I try to word my posts properly so not to cause a trouble....but it still seems to happen.

I am deciding that (some) greyhound owners on this site are VERY opinionated, and in my view these crazy debates are unavoidable.

I know it is because of their love of hounds, but I am sick of being lectured.."no off leash, you need a fence,be aware of anesthetic, you need special collar, no tieing up, flea/tick collars will kill...... ect ect ect ect ect ect....

Its too bad, since I am sure it scares members into not putting up new threads, like it has for me.....

I am always nervous posting on this site after reading different threads and how they turn into nasty unwarranted debates.

I try to word my posts properly so not to cause a trouble....but it still seems to happen.

I am deciding that (some) greyhound owners on this site are VERY opinionated, and in my view these crazy debates are unavoidable.

I know it is because of their love of hounds, but I am sick of being lectured.."no off leash, you need a fence,be aware of anesthetic, you need special collar, no tieing up, flea/tick collars will kill...... ect ect ect ect ect ect....

Its too bad, since I am sure it scares members into not putting up new threads, like it has for me.....

I think you just have to learn to not take it personally when it happens. Certain people have their hot button points and they'll work them into the conversation whenever they can, even when it's not relevant, and they won't necessarily be nice about it. Many others don't. You just take what you want from each thread and ignore the rest. :)

The funny part to me is that when people do stuff like this, I don't think it changes anyone minds. People already have their opinions and it's not even relevant to the OP, so it leads me to think sometimes people just like to hear themselves talk. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just wondering why you would be afraid to bring something up. Its a debate, thats what makes the good ol US of A what it is. People can have a debate. Nobody gets hurt, it is simply passionate people voicing their individual opinions. While I may sound like I dislike people from time to time, I don't. I respect someone more when they stand up and voice their opinion. Regardless of if said opinion is in alignment with my own. I think it is very good to have public debate about issues. Realize that we all have one thing in mind, the welfare of greyhounds. There is not a single owner on this website that I feel harms their greyhound. This world would be very boring if everyone was politically correct and had the same ideas about everything. I fought for this country for each and everyone one of us to have our own ideas and be able to express them as we wish.

Guest Swifthounds

What's wrong with drawing attention to the fact that many people who trust their dogs to recall end up with big vet bills and a corpse, or an unending, heartbreaking search? Nobody's said not to train recall. Couple people have simply given some cautions in relying on it.

For starters, because the they're two separate concepts that have been ignorantly conflated in nearly every discussion of recall on GT. Equating recall with deliberately allowing a greyhound off-leash misapprehends what recall is, and its essential purpose.

Did a few people caution? Yes, and then people went back to sharing their recall experiences before it predictably went back to discussion of how off leash dogs are in mortal jeopardy and, oh, didn't you sign a contract that says you can't let your dog off leash... everyone has an opinion about allowing sighthounds off leash and they're entitled to that opinion. It's the bible thumping way in which the view that greyhounds should never be off leash in a fenced area that is both bizarre and counterproductive. Those tempted to allow their hounds off leash aren't persuaded by that approach, and presenting it as gospel ignores the plain fact that that view is a commonly held view in the world of greyhound adoption, and not the larger dog population, nor even in the remainder of the sighthound population.

Swift, it only gets locked when people start calling other people names... Oh wait, I was called a name.

You are correct though. The important thing here is that people understand there really is no such thing as 100% recall, with any dog for that matter, let alone a retired racing greyhound that has been bred for many years to be an independent hunter of all small things running fast. I posted "trust a deadly disease" which should explain in painful detail of what can happen.

A name? Must have missed that, but then I found something better to do once you started railing on others for being anti-adoption group. If you want to make the point you just made, people would be more inclined to listen to your message if you didn't throw in an unrelated tangent that looks personally motivated.

I think the point was just that there have been many other threads specifically about off-leashing hounds and why it's dangerous. It was also touched on here and "Trust: A Deadly Disease" was posted as well. The initial point of the thread was not about off-leashing hounds, it was about recall and the need to bring up off-leashing would be in the context of how having good recall can save a hound's life in the event of an accidental escape. I don't think we need to dwell on this. If anyone wants to debate the off-leash issue they're more than welcome to start a new thread about off-leashing. This is just about recall.

Aside from the accidental escape having recall can save a dog's life in other ways. Imagine there was a fire in my apartment. The apartment has a front door which is the one we use to get in and out. We also have a door at the back of the apartment that leads up to the main floor of the house (we live in the basement) where our landlord lives. Summit hates the floors beyond the kitchen. In fact the rabbits also hate it. We're not sure why since the floor in the living room is exactly the same (as far as we can tell anyway, there's obviously a difference to the animals). To get to the alternate door you have to go through the kitchen and into the hallway that leads to the bathroom. Summit has never ventured down there on his own. But he will follow me if encouraged because his recall is that good. Imagine he had no recall and there's a fire in my apartment blocking the front door. We would have to use the alternate escape route. In thick smoke, in an emergency situation, probably already trying to hold onto 3 terrified rabbits, I would really not be in a position to pick Summit up and carry him. In normal circumstances I can barely lift him (he's 75 lbs and I'm 110 lbs). Being able to recall NO MATTER WHAT will save his life and potentially mine (I'm not going to leave him there obviously and I could be overcome by smoke inhalation trying to lift/drag him). So recall is important for non-leash related emergencies.

:nod Exactly. We don't control the world around us, and not training recall because we're pretending there will always be a leash, a fence, and that none of that equipment will fail is truly foolish.

Sirocco passed his CGC on his first try so he had an excellent recall. He was one of those dogs that needed the mental stimulation and discipline that comes from ongoing obedience work. (Lots of brains = lots of opportunities for trouble.) Nikki has a pretty decent recall but only if you call for "baby girl". (Used to embarrass the heck out of dh but who cares if it works.) Yukon always looks for any opportunity to return to his spot in the family room so recall isn't much of an issue.

I am a big believer in formal obedience training for dogs and it has come in very handy even though our dogs are kept on lead or fenced when outside. We had workmen open the gate and leave it open once. Fortunately, we were able to call the dogs back almost immediately when they went exploring. Sirocco also slipped his collar once when we were walking one night. I never even knew it until I happened to glance down and saw the collar and leash laying across his back. He stayed right beside me even though the collar was off.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

For starters, because the they're two separate concepts that have been ignorantly conflated in nearly every discussion of recall on GT. Equating recall with deliberately allowing a greyhound off-leash misapprehends what recall is, and its essential purpose.

Not two separate concepts at all, and given the current heartbreaks in Amber Alert, well worth discussing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Not two separate concepts at all, and given the current heartbreaks in Amber Alert, well worth discussing.

We hear a lot about the Amber Alert dogs, and it sticks out because they're given much attention, but a connection to off-leashing and loose/lost greyhounds is unsubstantiated. At least around here the majority of lost greyhounds that end up on the run or as "corpses" are almost never hounds allowed off leash regularly - they're hounds not trained in recall that slip out a door, off a leash, out of a car while traveling, or through a fence. Recall is worth discussing - and teaching. Not teaching it, and not actively working on it throughout the life of the dog is the source of much heartbreak.

Not entirely true re Amber Alert. There have certainly been more than 1 or 2 that were regularly allowed offleash, some of which were retrieved after much effort and some of which never came back :( .

But, here's the thing. Public board. Unless somebody specifies obedience show ring, fenced back yard, large dog park, etc., people tend to associate "100% recall" with "unreliable/unsuitable dog offleash in not necessarily appropriate circumstances" because that has often turned out to be the case. So folks post the "Trust" article. OP and everyone else are free to ignore it and/or clarify what circumstances they're considering so as to get more on-point answers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest happygrey

Not entirely true re Amber Alert. There have certainly been more than 1 or 2 that were regularly allowed offleash, some of which were retrieved after much effort and some of which never came back :( .

But, here's the thing. Public board. Unless somebody specifies obedience show ring, fenced back yard, large dog park, etc., people tend to associate "100% recall" with "unreliable/unsuitable dog offleash in not necessarily appropriate circumstances" because that has often turned out to be the case. So folks post the "Trust" article. OP and everyone else are free to ignore it and/or clarify what circumstances they're considering so as to get more on-point answers.

The other thing that's assumed is that people who warn of using recall because "the dog has always been reliable" are nearly always assumed to never teach recall with their own dogs.

They are not mutually exclusive. As is my case. I work with my dogs on recall in my fenced yard, and I'm happy to report that in a few cases where I've really needed it -- dropped a leash on a walk, a hound has slipped out the back door with the fence gate open, etc. it's worked. However, I do not think I'd ever rely on it as a matter of course. None of them have the feeling of being all that reliable to always return to me (even though, as I just stated I've had them return to me when it's counted) so I'd rather not take the chance.

Guest zombrie

My greys have a good recall, not 100%. Both my golden and GSD have a good recall as well, also not 100%, even my golden who would pretty much kill himself to come back to me if I call him, there are exceptions. I believe that greyhounds are no different training-wise than "regular" dogs.

Guest Elaine

I hear that the rare greyhound can be trained recall...just wandering if anyone has accomplished this

It isn't a rare greyhound that can be taught to recall, or sit, or stay... It's rare that the training is done properly. I start teaching mine as puppies to sit, wait, stay, down, and COME! We do not repeat commands and expect the dog to comply on the first command.

Guest Profgumby

I have always trained my whippets and am now training the greyhounds to recall. How well it works is the question. My first whippet was fantastic at coming when called, the second 2 were good as well. I do not trust the greys yet.

But I say the above to be countered with this. I will never let the greys out in an unfenced area unleashed. I rarely did so with the last 2 whippets and my first whippet I was careful with where she was unleashed. I have not had another dog like her since, she was the only hound that I was ever really comfortable with off leash. But, in situations like being walked near traffic, she was always leashed!

The problem with recall is it only takes one time, one rabbit, one happy child, one other dog etc to get your hound flattened by a vehicle or tackled by a previously unseen aggressive dog. It is too risky to their health and to my heart to put them in a position where they can get hurt.

My whole purpose behind training them to come back when I say is to have well behaved dogs in an enclosed area, or to have a good chance of having an escapee return safely

Edited by Profgumby

Guest leemc

Haha....I just played the video and my Ruby got up and started running around the house and back and forth to the back door!!lol.gif

I never taught Chad recall; he is just glued to me and in tune with me. I have called him off prey in mid hunt and he comes back to me. It's a special bond more than training. Ask anyone who has seen him with me ;)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

LGRA is Large Gazehound (ie, not Whippet) Racing. Greyhounds, Borzoi, etc participate. It's straight (no turns) racing. It's a lot of fun!!!

Don't let such things stop you from posting... few of us here actually really KNOW one another. No one here except another Borzoi owner who rarely posts actually knows me. It's easy to make incorrect assumptions about people over the internet. I don't think any insult was actually intended from anyone. It certainly wasn't from me and if I look back, I think I was the only poster who was jumped on. I don't blame the person. He doesn't know me, and I don't know him. The reality is I spend hours and hours of my time educating people about Greyhounds, racing, and adoption, and I never tell anyone to let their dogs off leash.

Guest DoofBert

We train for recall but NEVER EVER let the hounds off leash unless in a fenced in area. (train them and practice, just in case of an escape.)

We did have an escape two summers ago with Bert adn Tessa..... they trotted right back to me without hesitation!

The recall comes in handy when we visit a dog park.... the hounds come back when called.

I've tried to train Ryder for a recall, he's much better than Kasey, but I would never trust any of them offleash without a fenced area. When we are at the dog park, Kasey does not listen at all. Ryder is OK, but I'm sure if he were to take off after a bunny on our front lawn I'd never be able to get him back. It's just one of those breeds you can't rely 100% on a recall, and shouldn't really put one in that position trusting they will obey 100%.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest avadogner

We have practiced and trained with both of our hounds only in enclosed areas. I would classify both as highly recall responsive. We practice recall just like any other obedience training but I would never be comfortable going off leash in an open area. I think it is important to practice it so for a jail break, idiot workers who ignore our signs, or emergency like our recent tornados here in AL occur.

Accidents and events beyond our control happen in life. Attempting to be prepared is helpful and increases your chance of survival but it does not ensure sucess. Recently, Ava's leash magically unsnapped from her collar while we were coming home from a walk. We were still getting used to walking with her new brother and the leash tango was most likely our cause next to human error. After my initial heart attack, i called her and she came right to me. Would I ever go off leash on purpose, not on your life. It's a personal choice just like many topics that tend to stir the pot.

When we spend weekends at our family lakehouse, my greys stay clipped to me or the DH while their canine cousins run free. I get major stink eye for it but am just not willing to chance fate!

-ava and augie's mum

Typed on my updated Nookncolor which is still not capturing the emoticons. Communicating without the cues of tone, body language and familiarity with people seems to lead to topics going ugly. I hope we can all keep that in mind and play nice in our GT sandbox. Atleast until our greys take over said sandbox ;)

Guest laceyj

All mine come on call. Yes, it is something we have worked on from the get go and continue to 'practice' as you would with any dog. You have to be more interesting than anything and everything else out there. Would I trust that recall in a non-secure situation? Absolutely not, I would never bet my dog's life on it, no matter how consistent they are at coming.

Guest mollieandme

I trusted the demon in my signature off leash at my parents once. This dog does nothing but roach, she comes when called and is what I've started calling "bed sour." She tends to get a trotting start on her potties and it was getting tedious to trot with her so I unclicked her leash. Naturally, the brat went around the house and disappeared. Just gone. So, I went off in one direction, sent my dad in another and we scoured the neighborhood. Right as I was getting really worried, she sprang into view (still at the house), barking and wagging her tail as if to say "that was stupid!" Which, it was. She's back to a full-time leash when there's no fence.

I still think the little menace was hiding in a brindle-colored patch of woods, watching me and giggling.

Both of my dogs have decent recall, but luckily I've never had to test it around distractions, such as other dogs, wild animals, people, etc. I don't trust my hounds off leash any more or less than I've trusted the non-greyhounds I've adopted in the past.

I've been with people who have had their hounds off leash and there weren't problems.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.