Has Anyone Actually Been Able To Train Greyhound Recall?

Guest der_Windhund

79 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone actually been able to train greyhound good recall?

• Yes, my greyhound comes every time
    • Somewhat, comes when he feels like it
    • No, never comes when called

Guest der_Windhund

I hear that the rare greyhound can be trained recall...just wandering if anyone has accomplished this

Edited by der_Windhund

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote.

Even if mine would come back I will not take the chance of losing them. This thread will start a lot of debate. It comes down to you and your dog. Do with it what you want. Deal with the consequences.

May you be one of the lucky ones whose dog always returns..............

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

You can train a perfect recall inside a fenced area and never let your dog out of a fenced area, and still answer this :)

Yes, my dogs have a recall. The only one I don't trust is the Borzoi puppy. He will occasionally ignore me to visit strangers (like at the dog park), but he is fine in the wilderness where there is no one around. I would not take him off leash in town at all, until/unless he gets past the puppy "I want to visit everyone like I am a Lab!" stage and turns into a sighthound ;)

My most trusted dog is almost 14 and has been off leash all his life. That said, he's a Whippet, and they're a little easier to offleash train than most other breeds in my experience. Both of my Whippets are great off leash.

PS I did not vote since I have multiple dogs with differing answers

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

We work on recall at the fenced dog park. He comes to me most of the time, like I believe is true of most greyhounds. I praise him and love him when he comes to me. I would never "trust" that recall, but I do it for that "just in case scenario" that we all hope never happens.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest der_Windhund

Yes, I am working with a puppy that also has to visit everyone he he sees! he is a 5 month old greyhound/wolfhound. Loves people and dogs...

I didn't vote but I do know some people who have greyhounds and their hounds will come to them 100% of the time. No matter where they are off leash at, a call will bring them back.

I have mine semi trained to come when I whistle and they all will come when I use a squawker, which I do once a month to keep them all interested in the squawker so if they are ever lost, they will come to the sound.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Can you post that squawker video? :lol I think it was you that had one... my dogs just about eat my computer when I play it.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I would say all my dogs have "perfect" recall.... however I would also say that there is not such thing as perfect. A dog is a living creature and has a mind of its own and while my dogs generally come when I call them I dont let them off lead outside of a fenced area except for coursing. Cousing they have an end point and I am there to grab them at that point.

Guest happygrey

I didn't vote.

Even if mine would come back I will not take the chance of losing them. This thread will start a lot of debate. It comes down to you and your dog. Do with it what you want. Deal with the consequences.

This is all I was thinking as I read this thread! :lol

I doubt you will get exactly the answer you are looking for...it does come down to you and your dog -- and the consequences (if any).

I voted "yes" but this is my disclaimer. lol. I have only had Summit for 6 months so we are still building our relationship and working on obedience training (6 months is not a long time to perfect something like recall). He has perfect recall in the house, in the backyard, and in the tennis court where I take him. We are working on longer distance recall at his greyhound runs. At this point I would say that the only time his recall is lacking is when he's in a full out gallop with other dogs. I have no doubt we'll get there with time and practice.

Actually this weekend he got out through an open gate at his greyhound run. I didn't panic. I just went out and called him as soon as the collies in the diamond next door stopped running. As soon as they stopped he stopped, and then he could pay attention again and came to me. It's doable and everyone should strive for it so that there's no need to totally have a heart attack if they get out. Lesson learned too... no one even knew there was a gate down at the far end so we'll have to check that from now on before we let them go.

I didn't vote.

I don't see why this should start a lot of debate. Having recall doesn't mean I'm tempted to let my dog off-leash, it means I know he'll come back if he does get off leash, as he did this weekend. It's about peace of mind.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest der_Windhund

Above post..Thank you!!

Yes, Please let me add.... I dont want this post to start a huge off leash debate. If I worded anything wrong, dont get offended...I was just curious on where others were at in recall training, be it just for emergencies! thanks

Guest Swifthounds

I don't see why this should start a lot of debate. Having recall doesn't mean I'm tempted to let my dog off-leash, it means I know he'll come back if he does get off leash, as he did this weekend. It's about peace of mind.

:nod. Unfortunately, the proviso to keep greyhounds on lead when not in a contained environment has been misconstrued as meaning recall is not important to teach. I don't know whether it's ignorance or laziness or just a lack of understanding of the importance of training recall constantly over the life of the dog, but among categories of breed enthusiasts, greyhound adopters seem the least likely to train recall. It's sad and a bit frightening, actually.

I'm always saddened to hear folks say they don't train recall because they intend to keep their greyhound on leash. That view totally misapprehends the importance of recall training - and does so in a dog much more conditioned to run and not return.

I don't see where the OP said anything about the dog being on / off leash. Just asked a question.

To answer the question. My dogs have excellent re-call. We work on it every single day.

They also know "WAIT" both verbally and with a hand signal.

I didn't vote though. While my dogs are very good at re-call, I would not say they are 100% or

perfect. So far so good, but they are dogs. I also see OP you are working with a puppy. Both

my hounds are retired racers. They came to me with excellent re-call started by their trainers in

their racing kennel. I am not sure comparing my older ex-racers to your puppy is in any way

an accurate comparison. More like apples to oranges if I had to guess.

Good luck with your pup.

I agree with others, recall is very important regardless if they will be purposely off leash or not. Mine respond some of the time but are far from perfect. I've worked on recall in the house and fenced yard so they know what I want, they just choose to ignore me sometimes. Wally doesn't listen at all to me at greyhound runs when he is running with the pack and Corinna doesn't listen when she is chasing something so I know those are areas I have to work on. That being said I doubt either would bolt( with the attention of running away) if freedom was accidentally achieved. Sure Corinna could get killed dashing across the street after a squirrel (which is the reason they are never loose) but I have enough confidence in her recall that she would return to me once the chase was over.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

My three vary in their recall. Fletcher is the best, and it was a life saver when he slipped out through a (I thought) closed gate. I would never count on it though. Molly and Sallie are more cat like, they come if they feel like it, but just as often I get the "Leave a message and I'll get beck to you" look. :rolleyes:

I agree, recall (and 'wait') training are important, even if you never plan to let them off lead.

I think recall is important whether you allow your dogs to run off-lead in an unfenced area or not.

Both of my hounds have had about the same level of recall - perfect almost always. I can't think of a single time Argos ignored a recall, and I can count on one hand the number of times Bootsy has. I like to think it's because of their perfect recall, but really it's only because they weren't / aren't interested in going anywhere. :lol

I am admittedly one of those lazy owners who figures it's good enough, and I should absolutely work on cementing this, for both general safety and good training and for peace of mind.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Above post..Thank you!!

Yes, Please let me add.... I dont want this post to start a huge off leash debate. If I worded anything wrong, dont get offended...I was just curious on where others were at in recall training, be it just for emergencies! thanks

Didn't mean to stir the pot. We practice recall here.:) It just isn't 100% with my crew.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can you post that squawker video? :lol I think it was you that had one... my dogs just about eat my computer when I play it.

Is this the one you wanted?

th_MVI_8458.jpg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm another who feels recall is never really perfect. That said, I have had one as near perfect as any other dog. My current two are pretty good.

Hilarious thing is, tho, if I want Gidget to get in the house fast (from the yard), all I have to say is "Aaaaaah!" and she tears for the back door. Like she's afraid she's going to be scolded (when she is a @ perfectly GOOD dog) and the house would be safe. Cracks me up every time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest happygrey

Above post..Thank you!!

Didn't mean to stir the pot. We practice recall here.:) It just isn't 100% with my crew.

Same with me. But this topic is one that tends to generate a lot of heated debate and assumptions. If you haven't noticed it, stick around, it's bound to come up frequently.

Guest manawatugal

I've only had my grey for 9 weeks. He has perfect recall in the house and in the garden. When he is running with other greys it's only ok. He's not a brave dog and looks to me a lot for reassurance. I don't let him off leash unless it is in a fenced area as I don't want to take the risk. He recalls to me better than the other 3 members of the family so we are working on that. We've also been teaching him to do jumps, just small ones in the driveway. Once he knows there is a treat at the end of it he's really keen. My inlaws border collie did the jumps perfectly without being told over and over - little show off!

Guest CampWhippet

110% perfect recall. Of course I don't have them off-leash near roads, cliffs, barb-wire fences, etc. I also walk an area many times on leash first so they are familiar with the sights, sounds and hazards.

tansy4.jpg