How Much Time To Take Off For A New "gotcha"

Guest carhound

Guest carhound

So the kennel visit has been scheduled for 3/26 :colgate and the biggest question now how much time to take off work to work on house-training, separation anxiety issues, and getting to know one another.

Right now the wife and I were planning to devote a whole week to this. We would each take 2-3 days off of work, each one taking taking one half of the week with an overlap in the middle.

Does this sound like enough time to get everyone settled (hounds and hoomans alike)? Remember this will be the first dog either one of us will be 100% accountable for. I'm a total newbie, and the wife has been helped raise and take care of 3 other dogs as family pets.

How much time did you take off? Is there a general rule of thumb for this?

congrats! my adoption rep likes to send a dog home near a weekend so the new dog and owners can get acquainted. my first grey came on a wednesday since i work part time and it was just fine. remember they are used to their crates and feel safe and secure in them. place your crate in the common space where your and your husband relax so your pup will get used to tv,radio and what ever. it's good to have the bed for your new pup as well.

it's great that your schedules are flexable, but remember all of you need to learn to live with and with out each other. so, if you could work 1/2 days that will most likely be even more effective.throw a couple of 3/4-full days in here and there). i am sure you will want to get home a.s.a.p. to check and see how pup is doing, but don't hover. (i have never taken any time off for anything except the birth of my daughter and some major surgery. it just isn't necessary.)

it's not like a new baby, even though the pup will be getting up kennel time, at an ungodly hr. so be prepared for early mornings. lee livingwood's book, greyhound for dummies and cynthia brennegan(sp?) book- my first greyhound ate it...are good starts. talk to your adoption rep and stay in touch with the group. there are lots of dog training/ownership books out there. even though you won't have a pup, go to the book store and thumb thru some dog ownership books.there is lots of info on bring home greyhounds on the internet as well. it won't hurt to give a look.

good luck

Edited by cleptogrey

well I picked up Queen a year ago last November and we have been together 24/7 ever since :eek

Ok, after 2 weeks of the 24/7 she did spend a few hours on Sundays in her crate while we were at church.

My DW allowed me to bond for the first month {she works and Queen is my "companion"} after that she began petting her, feeding cookies etc.but she is really REALLY my dog. She has the cats :P

I still try to not be the meanie that puts her in the crate {she does not sleep in it}

My #2 son will be getting married in the near future so we will finally find out how she does when I am gone for several days, cannot take her to Portland so....

We got all our hounds on a weekend or "on the way home from work" on a Friday night. The first day we usually spend making sure that there aren't going to be any/many accidents in the house and that the snarkiness is kept to a minimum. When DH was Animal Control, he'd come home during lunch and check on the kids, make sure they were all ok.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Yeah, I think a week is plenty for the initial settling in. Keep in mind, you should also include time to transition into what you'd consider your normal schedule as part of this. (Do a search for "alone training"). Whenever I took in a new foster dog, I'd roughly follow a schedule like this:

Saturday: Hanging around the dog the whole time. But pretty hands off, the dog is going to need things calm so it can settle in. The majority of my interactions here is to take the dog out to pee, a lot, to the spot where I want to go potty (and praise when it does).

Sunday: Start doing the alone training, but to the extent of leaving only a few minutes at a time. By the end of the day, maybe we'll get to 15 - 20 minutes.

Monday: I'll start extending the away time to 30 minutes. An hour... see how the dog does.

Tuesday: If the alone training is going ok, I'll usually leave for half a day.

Wednesday: If everything went ok, I'll go for the full work day.

Most of the dogs I've had have done well with this. Sometimes you'll need to take a few steps back and this process might take a little longer. But you can see a week should normally be plenty. The other key piece of advice I'd give is to get into your routine as soon as possible. So if you'll be feeding at a certain time, always do that. And always do things in the same order - so if it's always - out for a pee break, then eat, then long walk, do that all the time. The quicker your dog figures out how things work, the quicker it'll start feeling confident and content.

Good luck!

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

My first hound I took a week off, she came right from a group but was never in a foster home, and she adjusted very well in a week. When I went back to work, I would come home at lunch to put her out to potty, but I soon stopped that because she would look at me like, why are you waking me up :lol My 2nd and 3rd hounds had lived in homes before so they were fine with Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get into the routine. Greyhounds are use to a routine , so I would suggest to get on a routine that works for everyone and try to stick to it. Congratulations on your new hound :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

I'm a student, but I'm in vet school so my hours are basically like a full time job (8:30-5:30 many days).

When our first foster came up we got him Saturday night (got home with him at midnight). Sunday he came to an ultimate frisbee tournament with me and did some alone training (got up to a max of about 30 minutes). Monday I had school, BF had work, so he was alone for half a day (8:30-12:30) and then came to school with me for an hour after lunch. Next day was basically a full day. He barked and had some anxiety over the first week, but then settled right in.

We picked up Summit on a Wednesday night. I had a couple of slightly shorter days Thursday and Friday, and then the weekend. He'd been in a home before for 2 years though so he was pretty relaxed with home life.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yeah, I think a week is plenty for the initial settling in. Keep in mind, you should also include time to transition into what you'd consider your normal schedule as part of this. (Do a search for "alone training"). Whenever I took in a new foster dog, I'd roughly follow a schedule like this:

Saturday: Hanging around the dog the whole time. But pretty hands off, the dog is going to need things calm so it can settle in. The majority of my interactions here is to take the dog out to pee, a lot, to the spot where I want to go potty (and praise when it does).

Sunday: Start doing the alone training, but to the extent of leaving only a few minutes at a time. By the end of the day, maybe we'll get to 15 - 20 minutes.

Monday: I'll start extending the away time to 30 minutes. An hour... see how the dog does.

Tuesday: If the alone training is going ok, I'll usually leave for half a day.

Wednesday: If everything went ok, I'll go for the full work day.

Most of the dogs I've had have done well with this. Sometimes you'll need to take a few steps back and this process might take a little longer. But you can see a week should normally be plenty. The other key piece of advice I'd give is to get into your routine as soon as possible. So if you'll be feeding at a certain time, always do that. And always do things in the same order - so if it's always - out for a pee break, then eat, then long walk, do that all the time. The quicker your dog figures out how things work, the quicker it'll start feeling confident and content.

Good luck!

I wholeheartedly agree with alone training, especially since one of you will be home with your new hound for a week. Early on, your new hound will greatly benefit learning that humans can leave their sight briefly and they always return, even going to another part of the house or outside for a few minutes.

To elaborate on a helpful house training tip: Whenever a new Greyhound arrives here... I don't let them have full run of the house for several days/week. They are limited to 1-2 rooms (with the family) and watched closely. It's normal for any dog to need to do business more frequently than usual the first couple of days in a new environment.

Day 1 - I give the new hound an opportunity to do business every 1-2 hours (during normal waking hours). I watch them and praise, praise, praise whenever hound goes potty.

Day 2 - I let them out briefly every 2 hours during waking hours. (If they don't potty within 5 minutes or so, I bring them back inside. Potty time is different from play time.)

Day 3 - I let them out every 2-3 hours, and so on...

They may not always do business during every brief outing during the first 2-3 days, but they begin to get a very clear idea of where they are expected to potty. It's more common that a potty accident is a human's error for not paying close enough attention to the dog's potty needs. Sometimes a hound gives cues, but they've never needed to learn to do that before in a kennel (pacing, asking for attention, standing up to look at you from their bed, standing by a door, or whining, etc.).

Their most important potty times: First thing in AM and last thing before bed, 10-15 minutes after meals, and few times throughout the day/evening.

Last tip: I teach 2 separate words for dog "business." If you don't have a dog door, when you're in a big hurry, you will appreciate your dog understanding that you are waiting for them to go "pee pee" or whatever.

I agree that a week is a good amount of time for a new hound (and is longer than many people have). Have fun, and enjoy watching your new hound blossom into family life! Greyhounds are the best ever! :colgate

Guest NJgrey

We wound up taking three days off total. The first day just hang out at home acting normal. Don't dote on the dog at all, pretty much ignore her. Take her out to pee or poop every 2-3 hrs and make a big deal out of it. Start building up the positive associations with going outside. If you're going to use a crate, set it up where you're going to keep it during the day and make it really comfortable. Lots of praise if she goes in on her own, occasionally throw treats in there. Next day work on alone training, small intervals. Give her some kibble in a kong to distract her while you go, and to once again build up positive associations with you being gone. Very important note: CRYING AND WHINING IS NORMAL! Don't freak out like I did :) We had nice enough neighbors who would tell us what she was up to, and for 95% of dogs it passes in a week or two when they realize you're coming back.

Lengthen the amount of time left alone over the next couple days, but just realize - whether she likes it or not, you and your wife need to go to work, so eventually you're just going to need to bite the bullet and leave her for a couple hrs at a time. Like I said, we took three days off from work, then came home at lunch to check in and walk her on Thursday and Friday. It's a process, but before you know it she'll be part of the family.

So if there's one theme to take away from the above - positive associations. It's all so new to her and it's completely up to you and your wife to teach her what's good and bad. Even something simple like laying quietly on her bed, praise her for it! That's something you want her to do. In those first few weeks the dog, especially if it's an only dog, will be looking constantly to you for guidance. Enjoy and best of luck!

Guest carhound

Thanks for all the advice everybody! We are planning on working on "alone time" and getting him used to the bathroom schedule.

I am thinking now that we'll both take time off at the same time. It sounds like a whole week might be too much, it would be nice to get a standard workday in before the next weekend where we'll be home pretty much all day.

Guest Houndstown

Good advice for sure . . . when we got our first we we home for a few hours and then went out for about 30 minutes. The kennel owner told us to make sure we did this so that he would get used to being by himself. The next time we went out for longer and eventually worked up to a whole day of work. He did fine. It really depends on the dog though so make sure you pay attention to him/her as well as all the good advice.

And . . . keep us posted on your new arrival!!

Thanks for all the advice everybody! We are planning on working on "alone time" and getting him used to the bathroom schedule.

I am thinking now that we'll both take time off at the same time. It sounds like a whole week might be too much, it would be nice to get a standard workday in before the next weekend where we'll be home pretty much all day.

Just to reiterate what some others have said, it'll depend on the dog. They all settle in at different rates. So it might be a good idea to still plan for the week off and then adjust your schedule as you see how things go. Plus, just 'cause you have the day off doesn't mean you have to stay in the house ;)

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

I've never had a week of with any of mine, except my first, and that was only because we got a blizzard that shut down the state.

A weekend is more than enough initial time. No, your new companion won't be totally settled in, but that won't be accelerated by time spent together and won't be accomplished in a week.

Whatever time you choose, start establishing a schedule right away, even I'd you break up his alOne time at first to get him acclimated. And don't forget to give him time to himself.

From my experience (which includes just one adoption thus far!,) I think your idea with a week is very good.

We got Bernie on a Saturday morning. We were off, of course, on Saturday and Sunday. Justin's boss was meeting him (they do not work together in the same location,) for meetings in/around the Milwaukee area for that next week.

So, Justin had to leave town, and it was just Bernie and me Monday through Thursday, the following week. I had a half day at work on Monday, but the remaining days I did not take off work.

If I were to go back in time and do this all over again, I would have done that quite differently. Bernie had somewhat of a difficult time settling in!

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest katethegreyt

To make you feel better (though my girl had lived in a home before), I had the best plans of picking our girl up (also my first 100% mine dog) on Friday after work right before a long weekend, so we'd have 3 days to get her settled.

Unfortunately, my fiance and I are softies and ended up deciding she'd probably be happier at home with us right away (and we met her on a Sunday...) We got lucky, and she settled in right away, but she had lived in a house before.

So I'm thinking a week should be plenty of time! Haha. But really, compared to everything I've read on here, that sounds great. The other suggestions on here are good though - you don't want them to think that first week of 24/7 hangout time is going to be the norm because then the next week, they will have to figure out how to settle in all over again.

Good luck! There's no way you won't be thrilled with your new addition. They are such cool dogs = )

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am of the opposite opinion. Look at it this way, if your hound gets used to you giving him/her 100% attention for an entire week, then you go back to work and your hound only gets 50% attention, what do you think this is going to do to your hound? Cause anxiety problems, you bet. Do not change your routine at all for the hound, the hound needs to accomodate your schedule, not the other way around. Alone training, take the hound outside every few hours when awake to eliminate (if this is part of your normal schedule) otherwise dont do anything different. This is our adoption group's advise on new adoptions. I know its tough, and you want to lavish your new hound with everything possible and make the transition as easy as possible, but you are actually setting the hound up for more anxiety issues if you spend too much time with the hound initially. So my suggestion is to take no time off, just go about your normal routine.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Wasserbuffel

I did what Chad is suggesting.

Got her around 8:00 on a Friday evening. Put her out not long after she got there then again at around 10:00 when we went to bed. The next day I continued keeping her leashed (we have cats) to me and took her for several walks. We went out for dinner that night. Sunday, I worked on alone training all day. Monday, we went to work as usual. She hollered a bit, but got used to us coming and going within a few days.

The biggest change I made was that I slept on the spare bed the first couple nights because she didn't know stairs yet and we sleep in the basement. Once she learned stairs, she began to sleep in our room.

I am of the opposite opinion. Look at it this way, if your hound gets used to you giving him/her 100% attention for an entire week, then you go back to work and your hound only gets 50% attention, what do you think this is going to do to your hound? Cause anxiety problems, you bet. Do not change your routine at all for the hound, the hound needs to accomodate your schedule, not the other way around. Alone training, take the hound outside every few hours when awake to eliminate (if this is part of your normal schedule) otherwise dont do anything different. This is our adoption group's advise on new adoptions. I know its tough, and you want to lavish your new hound with everything possible and make the transition as easy as possible, but you are actually setting the hound up for more anxiety issues if you spend too much time with the hound initially. So my suggestion is to take no time off, just go about your normal routine.

Chad

I agree with most of this...

Perhaps take the fist day off, but do not dote on the dog.Even try leaving him alone for 1/2 hour or so a couple of times.

Second day try leaving for an hour.

Like Chad says...if the dog thinks that his normal life is having his peeps there 24/7 he will be in for a terrible shock come next week.

This is just not fair to him!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I took a week off when I adopted Stel, my first and probably drove her crazy with my hovering. Lizzie, Hitchie and Lewis got a weekend. I had only planned to take two days off with House but ran into crate problems (couldn't find one big enough!!!) so he ended up getting four days. Kevin arrived the week of Thanksgiving so he got five days. I'm gone for 11 hours on work days so always had a walker come by midday for my newbies for a break until I had them out of the crate and using the dog door. I think two or three days (with some alone time) is good.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I've tried to have long weekends when I've picked up my dogs so usually three days. During that time I would make sure to potty every 1-2 hours except if the dog pottied then I'd watch the dog but try to go 3-4 hours. I'd leave several times for short trips (to the store, visit a neighbor, etc.) always being calm when I'd return home and immediately let the dog out to potty. The last day I'd be gone 4-5 hours and again be calm when I'd get home and again do the potty let out. That has worked very well for me. Most of my dogs settled well with that. I have to add that I am fortunate that I live close enough to work to come home on my lunch hour to let my girls out.

Good luck and enjoy your bonding time!

june

I just wanted to add that when you start to practice leaving him alone, don't make a huge fuss over him when you come back into the house.

This way they do not expect attention first thing.

Just come in, take off your coat, hang up your keys and carry on with life...I usually let them all outside for a potty break while I am doing this.

When I let them back in, I do not even say hello to them.... I just go about my business and ignore them all for at least 5 minutes. does not matter what they do...I just ignore them.

Bandit, even at age 11++, always goes and grabs a bone or a stuffie (sometimes both!) and races around with it. If we paid attention to her - even if we told her 'Stop' - this behaviour it would only escalate. She runs around for a minute then goes and lays down.

We have no excitement here at all when we come and go.

Nixon barely raises his head to say "oh, gee, you're home"...they all know they will get their pats, cuddles and treats later.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest IHeartDogs

I completely agree with those who say take the first day (or 2) off, but otherwise stick to your usual routine. Greyhounds are very schedule oriented, better to get into the mix right away and learn rather than having to adjust the following week.

Good luck, relax, and give lots of potty opportunities.

Can't wait for pics.

Honestly, we didn't take any time off. I live very close to where I work so i would run home on my lunch hour to check on things and let them out, but I only had to do that for a week. Each day I went home, I had to wake them up to let them out. They didn't even know I was there.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest carhound

Thanks for keeping this one going everybody... maybe it should become a sticky and moved to the Greyt Information archive.

Here's the rub... The wife and I both work downtown via public transportation. It's about 40-50 minutes door to door. So once we are at work we are staying there until we come home. Fortunately SWMBO's retired uncle who loves dogs (but doesn't have one) lives close by and has volunteered to let the hound out for a midday potty break so to minimize the chance of accidents. Part of the time spent off would be getting the pooch acclimated to him.

This whole not being home for 9-10 hours on a regular day is what has me worried. I plan to treat the time off as a mini vacation with the wife, we are gonna go do stuff for us while the dog has alone training. My thinking is that the hound won't have to go iron bladder cold turkey. Or is it a bad thing to steadily work the dog into the daily routine, increasing the time spent away/alone each day. as well as working on the pee holding muscles.