Hard Times

Guest Soso

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying special prayers for all of you. You all need strength to get through all of this. She is such a lucky girl to have such a wonderful, loving family.

june

Edited by june

I wonder if amicar would be appropriate here? I know it's used in amputations by OSU, but I'm pretty vague on what it's for - I thought something to do with bleeding, so not sure if it would be appropriate here or not, but since you mentioned bruising thought I'd throw it out there. Someone else will surely know better whether it's appropriate or you could check with Dr. Couto's team at OSU.

Sorry to hear it was a rough visit. Can they give her more pain meds? It sounds like she might need them. :( I would think being a little doped up would be a good thing for her given her anxiety.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She is home now. She wouldn't eat the bacon my wife brought this morning so I tried it again this evening and still wouldn't take it unless it sat in front of her for a few minutes. She was a handful at the vet: she pulled her IV out 3 times, chewed through one, and kept opening her kennel. She HATES being in a cage. She doesn't like confinement unless she can see out and even then still doesn't like it. As soon as I got her in the car she was calm as can be. She is very swollen and bruising all the way up to her front legs on her bare belly. Her demeanor is a million times better now than earlier. It will take time I know and pain control is very important.

Oh, she slipped on an un-rugged part of the wood floor.

Regarding amicar (aminocaproic acid):

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is reasonably accurate: The blood clots that greyhounds form are not as strong as other breeds. The amicar helps strengthen these clots resulting in less bleeding and bruising. OSU has discovered that even though the clotting factors (a test that is typically done before major surgeries) are OK on all blood tests, greyhounds tend to bleed more than other breeds. They did a study on clot strength and discovered that greyhounds clots just are not as strong. This study also showed that administration of aminocaproic acid for 5 days following surgery significantly reduced the bruising and also has basically eliminated any serious bleeding problems.

I hope I have remembered all this correctly. I heard this in a presentation by Dr. Couto's team at the greyhound wellness symposium at OSU a year ago.

Jane

Guest FullMetalFrank

So glad to hear she is home; and now hopefully the healing can begin! Sending more prayers for Sophie...

Glad to hear Sophie's home now ... and I definitely hope she's a better patient for you both than she seemed to be for the vet! Sounds like you've got a little fighter there, and that's a wonderful thing ...

gentle hugs for Sophie and you as you help her recover from surgery, and prayers that the doctors don't find any surprises in the tests that they're running.

Regarding amicar (aminocaproic acid):

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is reasonably accurate: The blood clots that greyhounds form are not as strong as other breeds. The amicar helps strengthen these clots resulting in less bleeding and bruising. OSU has discovered that even though the clotting factors (a test that is typically done before major surgeries) are OK on all blood tests, greyhounds tend to bleed more than other breeds. They did a study on clot strength and discovered that greyhounds clots just are not as strong. This study also showed that administration of aminocaproic acid for 5 days following surgery significantly reduced the bruising and also has basically eliminated any serious bleeding problems.

I hope I have remembered all this correctly. I heard this in a presentation by Dr. Couto's team at the greyhound wellness symposium at OSU a year ago.

Jane

I have heard of this also. My Sophie woke up this morning with blood all over her bed. The incision is good. I could only come up with the swelling caused her to start bleeding. I confirmed this theory with the vet and they said it will be like that for a few days. Her leg is really fat and very firm. Poor girl. We had a rough night last night but things should get better. Her bruising under her belly is way better this morning. I just worry about her gettinga UTI as she always does in these situations. I am having to keep her water intake down or she would drink a gallon an hour if I let her. Frequent trips outside are hard for both of us--she's down to 75lbs now. The vet said I could give her some aceprom to calm her down and she is still sleeping. More later.

Sending prayers that you and your wife and Sophie make it through this very rough period, and into an uneventful recovery. It's clear that you love her very much, and are doing what is best for your precious girl. You know her so well, and any decision made from love is the right one.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I don't think I would restrict her water access while she's recovering from surgery. Too many potential things going on that she needs adequate water for, including pain meds that can affect kidney function. If you can't do the frequent potty trips, there may be interim solutions to help - even setting up an indoor potty area with pee pads for the time being.

I hope she heals quickly. I would suggest asking the vet about ice or warm compresses for the swelling.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't think I would restrict her water access while she's recovering from surgery. Too many potential things going on that she needs adequate water for, including pain meds that can affect kidney function. If you can't do the frequent potty trips, there may be interim solutions to help - even setting up an indoor potty area with pee pads for the time being.

I hope she heals quickly. I would suggest asking the vet about ice or warm compresses for the swelling.

I'm only restricting a little bit. I'm keeping her to one bowl every 6-8 hrs. When she is anxious she will drink without stopping. She is still getting more than she should have but not excessive amounts. I went to work for a while today and after coming home, she is relaxed and awake. My wife sayas she's been just fine but a little ancy. I got home and brought her outside for a potty and left she is laying down in some light shade loving life. She is easily satisfied sometimes.

Sophie has broken her leg again just under the plate. This is the hardest thing I will ever have to do. Amputattion is not an option for her and surgery isn't either. The right thing is to let her go peacefully. The Dr. will be by in the morning to help her through. My 5 yr old understands but my 4 yr old doesn't. My wife and I are in pieces. Please keep us in your thoughts and help us through this time.

Guest Stripeyfan

I am so, so sorry. I was really hoping for a better outcome. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. grouphug.gif

Edited by Stripeyfan

Guest greytbookert

I'm so sorry! Letting them go is so hard but sometimes it is the kindest option.

We'll be thinking of you all!

I'm so very sorry. Gentle hugs to all your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Take comfort in knowing that your sweet Sophie is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

We all share your sorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds