Tremors Post Amputation

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

James is post op day 5 and doing great. We just started noticing these tremors when he is awake. It reminds me of when there is a thunderstorm and he pants and shakes for a few seconds then stops then repeats. There is no panting. He does it while laying down and standing up. When he falls asleep they stop. They aren't constant but frequent when awake. We at first thought he was cold so he is sleeping on a fleece blanket on his bed, the fireplace is on and now a space heater.

Then we thought infection. His suture line looks great, no oozing, no swelling. He is comfortable and with no fever (he is roaching while I type). Is this a common post amputation thing? We haven't weaned his pain meds. The only thing different is we are done with his Amacar.

Thanks!

they do experience a lot of stress during this adjustment period. My Polli would start shaking with incredibly heavy panting and sometimes she would just scream out. It was a tough period and this is when I wondered ** did I do to her. 10mg of valium helped Polli to take the edge off her anxiety and after this hurdle was over, I knew exactly what I had done FOR her and it was wonderful, while it lasted.

If you think it's anxiety, ask your vet for something.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am glad to hear James is doing well! We noticed similar trembling behavior in Lucy, so I think it's normal. I think there are a lot of nerve signals getting confused those first couple of weeks. Gabapentin helped Lucy a lot - it helps control nerve pain. You might want to ask your vet about it if you think he's having that kind of pain. Good luck, keep us posted.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Dude had some of this too. I think it's a combo of some nerve pain and his body re-working it's signals and finally getting the stress of the surgery out. Ask your vet if they are long or severe or don't resolve in a few days.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't recall whether we experienced this with Charlie or not. I agree Gabapentin is a good drug to be providing as like others have

said, it's a traumatic injury and the body is trying to heal itself. The Amicar I do not believe is related to this and an infection is

usually evident with swelling and redness.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest dancewkathylee

Don't know about dogs, but, humans have phantom pain following amputation. Could be the same. Good luck with it. Thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Guest bigorangedog

Could be a side effect from the narcotic pain meds (Fentanyl patch or Tramadol). They can cause anxiety. I would see about reducing those and adding Gabapentin to make up the difference. Also, try some Valium as others have suggested.

I'm sorry I missed this about James, but glad to hear he is doing well.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I noticed that certain parts of Callie's back legs would twitch (like an exagerated heartbeat) when she was in the hospital. I noticed while she was getting discharged and asked and the tech gave me some explanation about the muscles, forgot exactly what she said, but it made sense at the time.

Callie has always shivered, not constant, but just like a person would do if they suddenly got a chill. After his body going through the trauma of the surgery and with the anesthesia and narcotics, maybe that is just part of the body's recovery process.

:bighug to you and James!

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I remember someone in the osteo thread mentioning that it may just be the dog trying to move the leg he doesn't realize he no longer has.

I do think Gabapentin is a good suggestion regardless, generally very limited side effects, especially at lower doses unlike the narcotics and anti-inflammatories.

Glad to hear he is recovering well so far.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest juliagulia630

I spoke to our orthopedist today and she recommended lowering James' tramadol and adding gabapentin. I know Gabapentin takes a few days to really kick in but I swear the tremors have stopped! We lowered his tramadol to 25mg. He is just so sensitive to this med! Thanks for the advice, I knew what to ask for when I called OSU.

James seems to think there is no need for activity restrictions including walks. He is taking longer and longer to potty. Almost like he is saying, "just a little further down the driveway, mom." Then when he does potty, he keeps walking away from the house! These dogs.... :lol

I spoke to our orthopedist today and she recommended lowering James' tramadol and adding gabapentin. I know Gabapentin takes a few days to really kick in but I swear the tremors have stopped! We lowered his tramadol to 25mg. He is just so sensitive to this med! Thanks for the advice, I knew what to ask for when I called OSU.

James seems to think there is no need for activity restrictions including walks. He is taking longer and longer to potty. Almost like he is saying, "just a little further down the driveway, mom." Then when he does potty, he keeps walking away from the house! These dogs.... :lol

Gabapentin should only take 8-12 hours to kick in. I saw results with Neyla pretty immediately.

So glad to hear James is in such good spirits.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I spoke to our orthopedist today and she recommended lowering James' tramadol and adding gabapentin. I know Gabapentin takes a few days to really kick in but I swear the tremors have stopped! ...

That would not surprise me at all. In my experience it can take up to 2 hours for gabapentin to kick in. It can also start to wear off after just 6 hours. However, the effects start well before 2 hours & can last up to 10 hours. The prior applies to experience with nerve pain. Not sure where the few days comes from, perhaps in relation to seizure treatment? Anyway, my bet is your observations are correct.

James seems to think there is no need for activity restrictions including walks.

YEAH!!! :yay Way to go, James! :bounce1