Great On Martingale, Stubborn In Harness.

Guest issy

So Enzo's always been stubborn on the lead - since day 1, if he wants to go another way, he statues. We purchased a harness and martingale at the same time, and have been using the martingale exclusively since we've had him - we are more in control and a gentle tug and coaxing is all it takes once he realizes that we're not headed toward the car.

Due to the rubbing of the martingale and his tag collar (which we don't keep too tight at all), he's lost his neck fur on the front and it breaks my heart as we are very gentle with him. I would like to switch to the harness for most of the time, but he's now attempting to statue and get his way as we have less control over him with the harness. If I have to walk a block, he's fighting me with a snails pace the entire way, sulking.

I would like to not have to entice him with treats all the time (not currently doing this). Is that what it's going to take? What causes this behavior? We've never let him "choose" where he wants to walk, except for his potty place (and sniffies, life is too short not to smell the roses aka telephone poles), and we always make sure that he's heeling at our side while we're walking with the martingale, which works great.

Any insight is helpful, and I'm always willing to train - how would I go about this? TIA :colgate

eta clarification

Edited by issy

Does he wear the martingale 24/7?

No. Exclusively for walks*

The martingale is the type with the lead attached, so it's not practical to wear all the time. He has a separate tag collar.

Just because it's rubbing the hair off, doesn't mean it's bothering him. Just like men who's socks have rubbed the hair off their legs. It doesn't bother them at all. Make sure the skin isn't at all irritated and if it's not, then I wouldn't worry about it. Is the martingale lined?

Just because it's rubbing the hair off, doesn't mean it's bothering him. Just like men who's socks have rubbed the hair off their legs. It doesn't bother them at all. Make sure the skin isn't at all irritated and if it's not, then I wouldn't worry about it. Is the martingale lined?

No, it's not lined. I have other reasons for wanting him to be able to be walked nicely on a harness so that we're both happy.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I would suggest ordering a satin lined martingale it will help with the hair loss a bit but i honestly wouldnt worry about it if it isnt bothering him.... just be aware the harness could rub off hair too.

Just get a lined martingale from any number of sellers in the Pet Merch, forum. And a lined tag collar.

Also, some dogs just have bald necks.

IMG_6024-1-1.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Okay, try using both the harness and the martingale at the same time. Attach the leash to the martingale and walk in the usual manner, ignoring the harness. Slowly transition to using just the harness.

When I walk my spooks, this is the set-up use:

5b64c05a.jpg

Personally, I hate harnesses and do not think they are safer or more secure for the dog. I would never use one for the primary method of walking. When one of our 'Tzu's was diagnosed with a neck issue, I had to buy him a harness. I hated using it and the dog never cared for it either. I twas much easier to carry him around, :lol :lol Of course, that is not practical with a greyhound. :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Okay, try using both the harness and the martingale at the same time. Attach the leash to the martingale and walk in the usual manner, ignoring the harness. Slowly transition to using just the harness.

5b64c05a.jpg

Personally, I hate harnesses and do not think they are safer or more secure for the dog. I would never use one for the primary method of walking. When one of our 'Tzu's was diagnosed with a neck issue, I had to buy him a harness. I hated using it and the dog never cared for it either. I twas much easier to carry him around, :lol :lol Of course, that is not practical with a greyhound. :lol :lol

This is wonderful, thank you. It's not an issue of safety/security, I really do have a reason for wanting to use the harness :blush . Enzo is a service dog in training, and will wear a harness. No worries, he won't have to work hard, just use a harness. Anyway. This is great :)

Enzo would like you to know that he thinks it's very practical, and all humans should be trained in greyhound-carrying. This is essential for getting in and out of bathtubs, getting rescued from the snow, and mystery paw problems that disappear as soon as you re-enter the house. :lol

Wiggles Wags & Whiskers makes a martingale-style harness. It's much nicer and works better than the standard harness.

Thanks, I'll check this out as well.

Exactly!

George's neck was totally bald where his collar hit when I got him. I tried every possible kind of collar. Nothing made any difference, and it clearly didn't bother him. When I started giving him fish oil in his meals, the fur grew in!

The bald spot is really more about classic delicate/dry Greyhound skin than anything the collar is doing to cause discomfort!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

Fish oil does make a big difference, and so does a good diet. Vixen used to rub fur where her tag collar sat, but no more!

I also use the padded Karen's Kollars for walking and that helps.

The only thing a harness has been good for around here is as a handle to help up an oldster or a handle to grab my shy girl. As far as walking, I stick with the martingale. Too easy to get out of a harness.

5b64c05a.jpg

similar to what I've used. Carrying is easier, though it really only works for the smaller hounds. I can still remember being at a large dog event and Cupid was spooked by the loud speaker (she went from calm to totally freaked, so there was no opportunity for conditioning) and I just scooped her up and carried her over to a different area. You do look a bit funny carrying a 50# dog, but it drew a lot of attention to greyhounds. :lol

Also, hair-wise, consider letting him go collarless inside the house -- maybe just overnight if you're worried about him getting loose during the day. Especially if your tag collar is wider and/or not lined. It gives the hair some time without being rubbed.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Only wearing a collar for walks will not rub the hair off his neck unless your walking a significant number of hours a day.

I use a harness ocassionlly for mine and they act like they don't have a leash on - it's just a matter of what they're used to. I would use two leashes for a while, one on the collar and one on the harness, and gradually transition to using only the leash on the harness.

BTW - I wouldn't use a regular dog harness ever again. We got these when first Cash and now Dude needed a support assistance harness and I really love them. It's probably more like a service harness as well.

Ruffwear Web Master Harness

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have to walk my poodle right now in an Easy Walk harness. I hate the damn thing but the dog is much more relaxed in it than walking in a collar so I'm sticking with it until we get him walking calmly on lead 100% of the time.

If your dog is going to wear a harness as a service dog why aren't you training him in the type of harness he will have to wear?

If your dog is going to wear a harness as a service dog why aren't you training him in the type of harness he will have to wear?

Because there is no "uniform" that a service dog has to wear, it totally depends on what they're doing. Most of the time when you see a dog with a service vest/harness on, it's only because people are more likely to recognize the dog as a service dog that way, and thus will not harass the person with the disability. Enzo could easily wear the exact harness I'm using with a patch added to it that says "service dog." Unless of course the dog is a guide dog and has the special mobility harness, but the vast majority of service dogs are not this type of service dog.

Only wearing a collar for walks will not rub the hair off his neck unless your walking a significant number of hours a day.

I use a harness ocassionlly for mine and they act like they don't have a leash on - it's just a matter of what they're used to. I would use two leashes for a while, one on the collar and one on the harness, and gradually transition to using only the leash on the harness.

BTW - I wouldn't use a regular dog harness ever again. We got these when first Cash and now Dude needed a support assistance harness and I really love them. It's probably more like a service harness as well.

Ruffwear Web Master Harness

Thank you :)

ETA WOW I really love that harness! Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by issy

the velvet lined w.w.w. harness has worn the hair off of felix, velvet lined buckle collars do the same,rolled leather does it, cotton lined martingales wear his hair off,fishtale greyhound collar was rubbing, the edge of his coat has worn off hair from walking(and it has a polar fleece lining), it all grows back eventually. right now he is wearing a lazer cut silk lined martingale from makenzibelts.com. she guaranteed that it wouldn't wear off his hair and his neck is not naked, he wears it everyday . it's a matter of trial and error.

i think it bothers us more than the dog.