Arthritis

Guest 2dogs4cats

Guest 2dogs4cats

Hi all! My baby is 14 and just recently having arthritis issues. She is on 1500 mg of Glucosamine, but I think she may need something additional. Pain pills typically give tummy trouble and since she also has kidney disease, I don't want to mess with her appetite. Are there any natural concoctions that work for pain? I have seen many things on the internet, like TriRelief and DGP, but so difficult to figure out what would really work. Anyone with good experience with something? Ella and I are all ears! :) Thanks!

I tried three bottles of the DGP but it did not work for my pups. Springtimeinc.com sells joint factors and longevity. The longevity is working for my pups. Sometimes you can get it on sale 2 for 1. If you get the longevity start slow maybe just a sprinkling and work up to 1 scoop per 40 lbs. My two now get a scoop in the a.m. and a scoop in the p.m. I would also send an email to Claudia at the greyhoundgang.com. She has got some great advice and products.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Accupuncture did wonders for our senior grey during her last two years. We lost her at 14 1/2 but she started having pain issues from arthritis at 12. We used a combination of accupuncture, natural supplements and daily pain med ( 1/2 dose of metacam in our case) to help her. It was actually CHF in the end that made life too difficult for her, not the arthritis as we were able to control that pretty well over the years. I worked with a holistic DVM to put a program together for her. I'm using the same vet for my 10 year old greyhound who is starting to have pain from degenerative disc disease. We're using accupuncture and supplements for him and haven't needed any pain meds yet.

I like fish body oil & MSM. Both are anti-inflammatory, which will be good for the arthritis & her kidneys.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

First & foremost is Omega 3 fish oil. Also helpful is vitamin B-complex, like a B-50. My old man seemed greatly helped by Fortified B-complex injections, basically B-12 injections. I just used the livestock version & injected it sub-Q. Moderate amounts of lower impact exercise can be very beneficial.

Swimming is fantastic, though difficult in Winter if you do not have access to an indoor pool. We got lucky to find underwater treadmill sessions at a very reasonable price. A couple visits a week really made a difference. Results weren't instant & if I let him do a little too much in a particular session he would be a bit stiffer the next day. Over time the results were quite obvious & beneficial.

All the above was done with his vet's blessing.

How are your girl's teeth & gums? When I adopted my guy at age 10 he was already arthritic but nothing major. He also needed a dental & that situation rapidly got worse as we tackled a couple other medical issues. Once he had his dental he started running more & acting much less achy. We were amazed. And I was saddened as he had shown no outward signs of mouth discomfort yet clearly they had been contributing to his problems. Just thought it worth a mention.

Best of luck to your girl. At age 14 arthritis is expected. Clearly you've been giving her very good care to get to this age before it becoming a real issue. Hope you find a good solution.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly doesn't have arthritis but he does have IBD, and Omega 3 Fish Oil has really helped with the inflammation from that. We give 3000mg daily, although it's best to start with 1 capsule per day and raise the dose slowly to prevent diarrhea. Even on a low dose we noticed an almost instant improvement. I hope you can find an answer soon.

At the other end of the spectrum, we seem to be getting good results with injecting Adequan subcutaneously each week. This is after two years of acupuncture and trying rimadyl, glucosamine, and MSM. He's still getting the acupuncture/chiropractic every two weeks as it seems to help him in some general way too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

As well as supplements you might like to consider a Bioflow (magnetic) collar. I got one of these recently for Doc, who is nine and a half and was beginning to show first symptoms of arthritis - galloping less, reluctant to go up my steep staircase, licking his wrists. I had been sceptical to say the least but because other dogowners said they worked I decided to give it a go before trying extra supplements (he gets fish oil already). I reckoned I had nothing to lose as if it doesn't work you can send it back to Bioflow after 90 days and get your money back. It does seem to have helped, a month on he has stopped licking his wrists and is back to galloping around the park, and up the stairs!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

At the other end of the spectrum, we seem to be getting good results with injecting Adequan subcutaneously each week. This is after two years of acupuncture and trying rimadyl, glucosamine, and MSM. He's still getting the acupuncture/chiropractic every two weeks as it seems to help him in some general way too.

Oh, good one!

Yes! I forgot we did Adequan injections with Lucy as well. That was the first step I took with her besides the glucosamine actually and she responded really well to them. I've also used Adequan in horses with good results.

Sid is being helped by swimming - he does have some arthritis in his hip, but it is mainly for the cramps he gets along his spine.

I second the votes for swimming/hydrotherapy and also for acupuncture. Acupuncture helped Jack and also Jim.

Be aware that 'natural concoctions' can actually be worse for your dog than prescription meds. I'm thinking particularly of supplements like Devil's Claw (Harpagophytum procumbens) which is often recommended as a 'safe' alternative to NSAIDs. It isn't necessarily true that 'natural' means 'safer'. For instance, Devil's Claw can cause changes in blood pressure and blood sugar (which might be dangerous for animals with heart problems or diabetes) and it increases your dog's chance of a peptic ulcer just as surely as NSAIDs do. It can also change the way in which prescribed drugs are processed by the liver - increasing the speed of metabolism of some, reducing the speed of metabolism of others, and therefore possibly increasing the likelihood of side effects which you hadn't seen before.

Just sayin' .. be careful, and check with the vet!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest 2dogs4cats

Well, I will definitely start with the fish oil and the vet gave her Tramadol. I said I would give that a shot in the meantime. Interesting Docsdoctor about the magnetic collar. I have never heard of that, but what the heck, nothing to lose.

I know in my heart she is getting closer to the Bridge. It does make me sad. She is my first perfect Grey that paved the way for the other 2 that came to me after her.

FWIW, we had a dog with kidney disease from a young age, who developed arthritis in her later years. This was long ago, before all the fancy newer NSAIDs. She took butazolidin (an old, rather nasty anti-inflammatory) for years, with no additional kidney impairment and no nasty side effects. The point of my story being, depending on her arthritis and kidney impairment and on how she responds to Tramadol, might be worth talking to your vet about which anti-inflammatory would be least bad to try. Hugs and best luck with your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, I will definitely start with the fish oil and the vet gave her Tramadol. I said I would give that a shot in the meantime. Interesting Docsdoctor about the magnetic collar. I have never heard of that, but what the heck, nothing to lose.

I know in my heart she is getting closer to the Bridge. It does make me sad. She is my first perfect Grey that paved the way for the other 2 that came to me after her.

I was going to suggest Tramadol. Safe for the kidneys and tummy and it has a huge dosage range so, you can alter the dosage to her needs.

.... Interesting Docsdoctor about the magnetic collar. I have never heard of that, but what the heck, nothing to lose.

A gentle :kiss2 to your sweet girl.

The Bioflow collars are made here in the UK - I bought Doc's collar from this supplier ecomagnets.com. It does offer international shipping but at a price! Maybe you can find a US supplier/ maker offering the same money-back deal? I hope you can, and that it makes her more comfortable.

PS Because the collar they supply is a bit hideous I've taken the magnet off Doc's and sewn it inside his regular house collar, using a bit of black cloth.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

This month, Greyhound Gang's featured essay is Achy, Breaky Joints. It details a myriad of options - all natural - to help hounds have longer, healthier lives.

With the hundreds of hounds passing through our doors, we've tried a lot of things. And they've all worked on some level, and with some hounds. Every hound and their condition is individual, so trying different things is good to do. They are not expensive.

some quick thoughts, in case you don't have time to go to Greyhound Gang and read all the info there.

- Glucosamine HCL, at 1500 mg a day, combined with MSM, Chondroitin and Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C in Ester C form) are staples.

- Inflammation causes issues - using MSM, Yucca Intensive, Boswellia, Bromelian, Salmon Oil - can all help.

- Acupuncture is FABULOUS.

- Slick floors become dangerous.

- If using NSAIDs do support the liverwith natural products

Our booklet, currently on sale for $1.80 with free shipping, When I am Older, details much more. As does the link to the Achy, Breaky Joints article.

There is a lot you can still do, though 14 is a wonderful age. I recommend starting preventive care around 7 or so, though it does depend on the hound, their background, and condition.

Happy to answer any questions, just email me.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest 2dogs4cats

This month, Greyhound Gang's featured essay is Achy, Breaky Joints. It details a myriad of options - all natural - to help hounds have longer, healthier lives.

With the hundreds of hounds passing through our doors, we've tried a lot of things. And they've all worked on some level, and with some hounds. Every hound and their condition is individual, so trying different things is good to do. They are not expensive.

some quick thoughts, in case you don't have time to go to Greyhound Gang and read all the info there.

- Glucosamine HCL, at 1500 mg a day, combined with MSM, Chondroitin and Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C in Ester C form) are staples.

- Inflammation causes issues - using MSM, Yucca Intensive, Boswellia, Bromelian, Salmon Oil - can all help.

- Acupuncture is FABULOUS.

- Slick floors become dangerous.

- If using NSAIDs do support the liverwith natural products

Our booklet, currently on sale for $1.80 with free shipping, When I am Older, details much more. As does the link to the Achy, Breaky Joints article.

There is a lot you can still do, though 14 is a wonderful age. I recommend starting preventive care around 7 or so, though it does depend on the hound, their background, and condition.

Happy to answer any questions, just email me.

Thank you for this information. It is helpful. She is on quite a few supplements right now and am trying to get her up to full dosages slowly. I don't want any tummy issues. I have also been trying Tramadol, but it doesn't seem to agree with her. I have also ordered Arthrisoothe to see if that helps. I have heard of the Yucca and may have to give that a try as well. I probably should have started supplements earlier, but I guess she has been so healthy that the vet just didn't think it necessary. I am not sure. My bridge dog lived to 13 and he never had arthritis issues, so this is new to me.

Guest 2dogs4cats

I have added MSM and Salmon Oil along with her Glucosamine and this combo seems to be helping. Tramadol makes her restless, and panty. I would like to try the Yucca. Does anyone give Yucca along with the above supplements? I am not sure if they can all work together or you should just stick with one or the other??

Yucca-

Is it ok for dogs with kidney disease?

Does it upset the tummy?

Is it ok for long term use?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Have used Arthrisoothe Gold with good results. It did not appear to have any detrimental effects on my CRF boy. It contains yucca & most of the other recommended supplements. Can't remember what the formula difference is between Arthrisoothe & Arthrisoothe Gold but enough for me to choose the Gold formula. It was pricey but in the long run better for us than administering the various ingredients ail together from individual forms. For two dogs this seemed less prone to GI upset. Something to consider when using multiple supplements especially dogs with CRF are the added ingredients used as filler in capsules or binding agents in pills. Some of these like some minerals,, thinking particularly of magnesium which seems so common, are ones difficult for aging kidneys to filter. The amount in one or two supplements is negligible but it can start to add up when we are administering multiple pills &/or capsules multiple times a day. And I do wonder if that can also be a contributing factor to GI upset.

Just some thoughts that have gone through my head over the years with various dogs.

Guest 2dogs4cats

Have used Arthrisoothe Gold with good results. It did not appear to have any detrimental effects on my CRF boy. It contains yucca & most of the other recommended supplements. Can't remember what the formula difference is between Arthrisoothe & Arthrisoothe Gold but enough for me to choose the Gold formula. It was pricey but in the long run better for us than administering the various ingredients ail together from individual forms. For two dogs this seemed less prone to GI upset. Something to consider when using multiple supplements especially dogs with CRF are the added ingredients used as filler in capsules or binding agents in pills. Some of these like some minerals,, thinking particularly of magnesium which seems so common, are ones difficult for aging kidneys to filter. The amount in one or two supplements is negligible but it can start to add up when we are administering multiple pills &/or capsules multiple times a day. And I do wonder if that can also be a contributing factor to GI upset.

Just some thoughts that have gone through my head over the years with various dogs.

Good point about all the capsules. I did order the Arthrisoothe (can't remember if it was gold or not), but haven't gotten it yet. I didn't realize it had Yucca in it. Is it ok to give the Arthrisoothe and Salmon Oil together?

I have also inquired about laser treatments, but I want to see how she does on the supplements first. I think it can take some time before the supplements have full effect and the doc wasn't sure if the laser would help.

You can use yucca with everything you've mentioned except any NSAID (tramadol is OK). It's a natural sort of steroid which is why it's helpful for pain & inflammation but it can have some effects on the kidneys. However any NSAID will have even more of an effect. In my reading on herbs, it's thought that a whole herbal compound will have some protective properties to go along with any damaging ones. Similar to how eating whole foods is a better way to get vitamins & minerals than taking pills. So I would weigh that against her pain. I used it in the past long term but there were no kidney issues at the time. It should definitely be taken with food.

Have you seen this linky on arthritis? You might find some other things to try. Best wishes for your sweet Ella.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 2dogs4cats

After this post, I added a topic regarding hind end weakness and kidney disease. Ella did not have arthritis. She had hind end weakness secondary to the CRF. I have been giving calcium carbonate and Vitamin D since the end of Februray and she has consistently improved and now (almost one month later), she is almost 100% back to standing and walking normally. I see a lot of posts about arthritis and hind end weakness, so I just wanted to update this thread. I think the immediate "go to" diagnosis the vet will give for an older dog is arthritis, but sometimes it may be something else.

Have a great day everyone! Spring is almost here in Chi-town.

Guest Swifthounds

I think the immediate "go to" diagnosis the vet will give for an older dog is arthritis, but sometimes it may be something else.

It does seem to be the "go to" diagnosis for anything skeletal these days. That said, greyhounds frequently have arthritic changes that can be repaired/improved with supplements to support bones/ joints/connective tissues long before anything is visible on imaging - as early as age three. It's one reason why I've chosen to supplement earlier rather than later. It's where vets are satisfied that it's arthritis and pursue no other avenues that things get dicey - especially when supplementation doesn't lead to significant improvement.

I'm glad you kept pursuing it. I'm sure the update will be helpful for others with similar issues.