Utis, Incontinence And Irritation, Oh My.

Guest summernights

Guest summernights

Gem's been having some ongoing issues with urinary tract infections. She has a juvenile/recessed vulva, so she gets infections more often as a result. Recently, she's had an infection that's taken a while to kick. The vet gave us a sulfa-based antibiotic, which seemed to take care of the infection while she was on it, but as soon as she was off the antibiotic the infection came back...and she started licking her hind end far more than normal - to the point of waking me up in the night and soaking whatever she happened to be laying on. The vet put her on cipro while we waited for urinalysis and culture results to come back. The culture came back with some growth for enterococcus, which is apparently a common fecal bacteria. She was switched to amoxicillin, as it will take care of that bacteria whereas the cipro won't. At the vet's suggestion, I put an e-collar on Gem to keep her from licking while I'm at work/asleep or otherwise unable to keep an eye on her.

Gem just finished the amoxicillin on Sunday and the infection seems to be gone...but now she's having incontinence issues, leaking while asleep. The incontinence is new, aside from a few rare instances in the past. It's never a HUGE amount, but it's anywhere from a drop or two to a fair puddle.

Since all this has been going on, I've had to start confining her in the kitchen during the day and have had to keep her off the couches and my bed so she won't leak or lick and create huge, smelly stains (I don't care about dog hair or mud or whatnot, but I have to draw the line at urine). I hate having to do this because I know she loves to spend her day lounging on my bed or one of the couches...plus I don't get to wake up to Gem hopping on my bed and cuddling with me after my husband leaves for work.

I guess the point of this is to see if GTers have any suggestions on what to do or where to start with resolving these issues. My vet is awesome, but the only thing they've come up with is treat the infections as the occur. They are very receptive to suggestions that I make, but right now, I've got nothing.

Some background info: Gem is almost 11 (which pretty much throws the idea of having episioplasty surgery right out the window), and relatively healthy - the UTIs/incontinence are really her only issues. The vet has checked and there are no bladder tumors or anything that has come up in the many urinalyses that have been done to indicate anything other than urinary tract infections. She eats Canidae dry food (two cups twice a day, with any leftovers for grazing), often with a spoon of plain yogurt or a squirt of salmon oil on top, and gets a cranberry extract pill every morning to try and ward off UTIs. After each walk, I use a plain unscented baby wipe on her vulva, which was recommended by my adoption group. She's at a good weight, around 60 pounds, and that's remained relatively stable since I've had her (usually goes down a couple pounds in the winter, and up a couple pounds in the summer, I've noticed). She gets walked about four times a day - 6:30 AM, 1:30 PM, 5:15 PM and somewhere between 10:30 PM and 1 AM, depending on when I go to bed, and usually a bit more on weekends.

Gem and I would appreciate suggestions! Thanks.

Poor Gem, and poor you! This isn't something I have had to deal with, but other dog owners tell me good things about propalin syrup for clearing up incontinence problems in 'leaky' bitches. I believe it's not an uncommon problem, especially if they've been spayed. Have a chat with your vet about this, I imagine it would be prescription-only, as in the UK.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Why is surgery "out the window"?? If she's healthy otherwise then surgery should be an option. Also, it sounds like your girl has spay incontinence- rather common in older spayed girlies. There is medications that will resolve/control the condition such as proin and DES -- there may be herbal supplements that may help too.

Just in case: My angel Zema had high blood pressure and so could not have Proin/DES. What worked for her was changing her diet to very low salt, homeprepped. End of leaks, fussing, and constant licking.

I'm not one to believe diet solves all ills, but it did in her case. We tried everything, and that was all that was left. I started out pretending she had a food allergy and giving her very limited ingredients -- beef with eggshell (for calcium) and a little sweet potato and pureed peas (vitamins and fiber) added; homemade salt-free, oil-free potato chips and purchased freeze-dried beef for treats. Gradually was able to add a few more things, including a multivitamin/mineral supplement. IIRC it took only a few days in the beginning to notice that the problem was ... gone.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest summernights

tbhounds: I'm exceedingly leery about putting Gem under anesthesia at her age, healthy or not. She had a rough time coming out of anesthesia when her teeth were cleaned almost two years ago, so I'm just really paranoid.

racergirl435: My concern with a diaper is that it would lead to more infections by keeping the damp urine so close to her vulva....it may be a needless concern, so I'll check with my vet.

batmom: a homemade or raw diet is something that's been floating in the back of my mind to try!

Thanks for the ideas...would love more if anyone has them! :)

I vaguely recall someone posting a while ago about giving their dog milk and that seemed to help. I must admit, I have not searched for the thread, though.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I don't know about medication or diets, but along with that I would use something topical to take the burn away. If you ever had a bladder infection, you know how awful it feels -- possibly Desitin or something that you would use on a baby. You could use a diaper that you change regularly to keep her from licking and to keep your floor and sofa clean. Just a thought. Don't laugh at me, but I did use Vagisil on my first grey who lost control of her back legs and couldn't get up off of her bed. Worked like a charm.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I went through this with Misty and cleaning her after she pees and using the Desitin Creamy helped keep her comfortable and helped keep away a lot of the bacteria.

She at times would still lick and the Desitin wouldn't hurt her, and using the creamy made it more difficult for her to lick off.

I wouldn't use a diaper because that's just asking for more bacteria

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We are going through the same thing with Daisy right now. She only "leaks" occasionally if she drinks too much at one time. She does lick herself and I have found that if I put Derma Vet Ointment (Rx from Vet) on the vulva area it makes a huge difference. She gets very irritated and has actual sores on her vulvar area. This stuff clears her up right away. I would stay away from the wipes as they might irritate her..Good luck and keep us posted.

Rascal used to have a lot of 'girl problems', too. A couple of years ago--and she is 11.5 now--the vet suggested the surgery. I didn't want to do that, and asked to try something else topically, some type of ointment. The vet agreed, and prescribed Animax ointment. We had to apply it twice daily--the vet showed us how to pull back that overlying skin to get the ointment where it needed to be. It really worked for her, and she's not had any trouble since.

Prior to that she was treated for a UTI. She never had incontinence issues with it, so I can't address that part of your problem. But the ointment really gave her a lot of relief.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Rascal used to have a lot of 'girl problems', too. A couple of years ago--and she is 11.5 now--the vet suggested the surgery. I didn't want to do that, and asked to try something else topically, some type of ointment. The vet agreed, and prescribed Animax ointment. We had to apply it twice daily--the vet showed us how to pull back that overlying skin to get the ointment where it needed to be. It really worked for her, and she's not had any trouble since.

Prior to that she was treated for a UTI. She never had incontinence issues with it, so I can't address that part of your problem. But the ointment really gave her a lot of relief.

The Derma Vet ointment is Animax in the generic form. I compared ingredients and it's the same. Rascalsmom is so right that you have to pull back the skin and get the ointment on the vulvar area. She may just be so irritated from licking that she is leaking....Anyway, the ointment is the absolute BEST!!!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Obviously the most important part is getting the UTI cleared up. Once that is 100% clear, you'll need to focus on keeping her vulva clean so it doesn't become irritated and cause more UTIs.

Usually the UTI is caused by licking which is caused by irritation which is caused by urine pooling (and licking.) I really like the Douxo-Chlorhexadine 3% PS Pads which you can order online or get from a vet. (They are currently on back order from the manufacturer but ask your vet about an alternative.) Use them 1-2 times a day to gently clean the area and kill off any bacteria living there. If the area is really irritated right now you can put some Desitin creamy on the area after cleanin until it calms down. If she has a very recessed vulva, you may need to wipe her gently after every time she urinates, if so just use sensitive baby wipes.

Once the UTI and irritation clear up I bet the incontinence disappears. If not, you might need to talk to your vet about some Proin!