Lump On Dixie's Thigh

Tonight I just noticed a lump on Dixie's left thigh. It's about the size of a pea. I don't think Dixie has been licking that area, as licking dogs drive me crazy and I haven't had to tell Dixie to stop licking in a while. It is movable. Don't think the lump has been there long. First thing Monday morning I will be calling our vet. Spoke with Anne (sil is a vet) on the phone and she asked that I email her some pictures and I have also have them posted below. Obviously she can't tell me anything over the phone (and I hated calling her since she literally had her last radiation treatment today), but wanted to take a look at the pictures. Of course the first thought in her mind was mast cell tumor.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020-1.jpg

Please keep Dixie in your thoughts.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I would have it aspirated--- histicytomas are usually found on limbs or faces of young dogs--I know Dixies older. We have seen a lot of hemangipericytomas lately right in that area. If it's the fore mentioned or a MCT your vet should be able to identify those cells via a fna. Keep us posted.

Edited to add ---woo-hoo Anne-- glad she's done with her treatments-it's been a long haul for her.

Edited by tbhounds

Hope it turns out to be a "benign thingy" of some sort.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dixie has an appointment for 11:20 this morning. Luckily we are not int the snow storm/blizzard band since the wind is a blowing up here.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Good news! The lump is not cancerous. We are just going to watch it. If she messes with it too much, we will have it removed when she goes in for her dental. She has turned into a piglet though. She now weighs 72 pounds. I am not sure how she is gaining weight because she is Miss Finicky Pants. All I figure is the amount of snow in the yard and she has no place to run. Or maybe.....is she actually out there catching mice???? She's not telling and she has requested lasagna for dinner for the trouble I put her through today.

Annette

I hesitated to answer at first, but, Paul had a similar growth in almost the same spot on his leg. He was scheduled to have it removed also, while having a dental but the doctors left NGAP two days before he was scheduled. So, everything was postponed. He started licking the area, so I put a healing cream on it, and in a few days it dried up and fell off. He had a bald circle in the area, though the hair has grown back now. The new doctor said that she thought it might have been a follicle cyst.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

He started licking the area, so I put a healing cream on it, and in a few days it dried up and fell off. He had a bald circle in the area, though the hair has grown back now. The new doctor said that she thought it might have been a follicle cyst.

What kind of healing cream was it? Did he not try to lick off the cream?

Thanks,

Annette