Mama Cat

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

I don't know her name, just called her Mama Cat. A pretty little solid black kitty. She was my next door neighbor's cat, the one who attacked Larry in October when she thought he got too close to her kittens. I was angry with her then because Larry never recovered from that attack and was gone a week and a half later. When I learned her story, I shifted my anger to my neighbor for being an irresponsible owner.

Until May of 2010, Mama Cat was an unfixed totally indoor cat; she was never let outside. The day my neighbor's oldest daughter came home from the hospital with her newborn, Mama Cat was tossed outside, never to be let back in. Not surprisingly, she very quickly became pregnant and had two kittens. My neighbor had been strongly urged to have Mama Cat fixed, even before she was tossed outside; when she came up pregnant, my neighbor was very surprised. Still, she wasn't let back in; and she lived, was fed, and raised her kittens under the open carport of their home. Everyday I would see her and her two fuzzy grey kittens under that carport, and lots of days I would see Mama Cat in my yard. The oldest daughter, her boyfriend, and their baby moved out about three weeks ago, but Mama Cat was not let back in the house.

Tonight, when my neighbor and her youngest daughter drove their car under the carport, they accidentally ran over Mama Cat. It wasn't an instant death, so I know she must have suffered. The daughter came to my house crying, and Seth went over & buried her for them.

In my mind, she will forever be linked with Larry because of that fateful day their paths crossed. I was very angry at the time, because Larry was in his yard, but she was just doing what any good Mama does. I'm sorry she died the way she did. And now two kittens are sitting under that carport tonight all alone, and the whole thing just makes me sad.

Goodbye, Mama Cat. I know this isn't how your story should have gone.

Edited by Adrianne

Guest racergirl435

Oh how sad! I'd be calling the local animal shelter or maybe asking someone in your rescue group if they could take the kittens. If you're anywhere near Buffalo, NY let me know.

I remember the story with Larry and the cat. I am sad about Larry and am sad that Mama Cat did not have her own people and died alone and suffered. Can you take the kitties to a shelter and maybe they can have a happy loving home with someone that will adopt them? For a while we had cats coming into our back yard and our dogs were chasing them and it makes me so mad that people are irresponsible and don't take care of them pets. Godspeed Mama Cat and may the wind always be at your back.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

How sad. Why do so many people have the misconception that cats cannot get along with infants? I feel very badly for the kittens. Is there some way you can arrange

for them to go to a cat rescue group?

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Adrianne

I remember the story with Larry and the cat. I am sad about Larry and am sad that Mama Cat did not have her own people and died alone and suffered. Can you take the kitties to a shelter and maybe they can have a happy loving home with someone that will adopt them? For a while we had cats coming into our back yard and our dogs were chasing them and it makes me so mad that people are irresponsible and don't take care of them pets. Godspeed Mama Cat and may the wind always be at your back.

Technically, she had her own people. My neighbor and her daughter still wanted her; they just didn't want her inside. I would love to scoop up the kittens and take them someplace, but my neighbor says she & her daughter love them. Of course, they said they loved Mama Cat and couldn't bear to part with her. Sigh....it's just a sad situation, and I really have no legal ground to just go over and take the kittens.

ETA: after they were born, my neighbor wanted to give away the kittens, but her 15 year old daughter said she wanted to keep them. Who do you think got her way? And now that Mama Cat is gone, there's no way the 15 year old will agree to let the kittens go.

Edited by Adrianne

If they want the kittens, are they going to bring them inside? I fear they'll end up like their mama if they don't. I will never understand how people can treat pets like

disposable trash.

Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

Guest Adrianne

If they want the kittens, are they going to bring them inside? I fear they'll end up like their mama if they don't. I will never understand how people can treat pets like

disposable trash.

I hope they will take them inside, but I have reason to believe they won't.

Godspeed Mama Cat . :f_white

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

disposable trash.

I hope they will take them inside, but I have reason to believe they won't.

You're probably right that they won't be inside kitties. Technically though, if she threw the cat out and the kittens have never been inside her house, aren't they

considered strays? A little food put out at your house just might lure them over to you ;)

Guest jettcricket

Oh...that is so heartbreaking. There's things I'd like to say about her owners, but out of respect for her, I'll bite my lip.

RIP Momma.....and watch over your babies.

Guest racergirl435

Adrianne, I would still call the local animal shelter and report the kittens as abandoned. Just putting food out for them and expecting them to be able to fend for themselves is not right. Maybe a visit from an animal control/shelter person will snap the mother into action. Honestly, if it were me I'd scoop those babies up and bring them home. Cats do not belong outside. At least not in a city or suburb environment.

RIP Mama Cat. You deserved better. :f_red

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Those kittens need vet care (shots and so forth). And the owners need to have the kittens neutered or spayed--before there are even more kittens neglected under the house or being hit by cars coming and going.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest 4dogscrazy

Well...you will have many more kitties unless they are both boys :( I would put a nice smelly can of food in my yard in a box, then woops look who turned up in my yard shelter lady...they must be lost...but look how cute they are since they are little, someone will adopt them...I can't keep them myself I have a big dog that's not cat safe...I don't have any idea where they came from...never saw them before today...

Well...you will have many more kitties unless they are both boys :( I would put a nice smelly can of food in my yard in a box, then woops look who turned up in my yard shelter lady...they must be lost...but look how cute they are since they are little, someone will adopt them...I can't keep them myself I have a big dog that's not cat safe...I don't have any idea where they came from...never saw them before today...

:nod