Marx Had A Dental...poor Boy

Poor Marx had his dental on Tuesday, he ended up loosing 8 teeth!!!! It's been a rough 2 days for him. He will be on soft food for 3 weeks and not allowed to play with his stuffies. I feel so bad for him, he keeps looking for his two favorite stuffies :( He is on pain meds and antibiotics. We are trying to keep him comfortable without babying him but it's hard.

I do have a question, is it common for a pup to have to potty so much after having a dental. He had one in the past and I don't remember this being an issue. He is going potty, not straining, but just needing to go quite frequently.

Please send Marx healing prayers.

Praying for all the missing greys!

Oh, poor Marx! Give him some scritchies for me!! Love that dog! :wub:

Personally, I would get him on probiotics ASAP. We had huge problems with Sid after a course of Clindamycin after a dental, which led to blood, straining, x-rays (he was given 'Greenies' type chews for his teeth by the vet) and eventually to months of probiotics and expensive diet food and gradually weaning him back onto a normal diet. He's fine now, but he had colitis for a while, poor guy. And yes, it just started with frequent, soft poop which became bloody diarrhoea. Poor guy only went in for one tiny broken incisor to be removed and the antibiotic completely wiped out his gut flora.

Putting Marx on probiotics now might save him all that, and can't hurt - except your wallet, but they're not that pricey.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

He may still be super hydrated-- I would imagine he was given iv fluids during his procedure and in recovery. He might also be drinking more because of the meds he's taking. I would give it the weekend- if he doesn't seem to be urinating normally by Monday I would give the vet a ring.

I was wondering how marx was doing....hope he feeling better soon.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Wow 8 icky teeth gone and he will be a much healthier dog. Cosmo lost 8 teeth on his last dental. I can't help you with the potty issue, are you talking about urination?

Feel better Marx!!!!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Poor Marxie-my-love... lots of scritches & hugs from me too!

And I agree with Judy - get him on probiotics NOW!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Poor Marx! Abby (13 1/2) had a dental yesterday and she is a mess too! She only lost 4 teeth. They pumped her so full of fluids she has been peeing non-stop. A little of the big D this morning, too. I just hate the few days after a dental. Abby had a small growth from "under her tail" removed also so she is very sad!

Marx is probably just getting rid of the effects of surgery.

He may still be super hydrated-- I would imagine he was given iv fluids during his procedure and in recovery. He might also be drinking more because of the meds he's taking. I would give it the weekend- if he doesn't seem to be urinating normally by Monday I would give the vet a ring.

I can't help you with the potty issue, are you talking about urination?

Yeah - if it's just pee you're talking about, all the fluids they give them while they're under will be having an effect. In a few days he'll be back to normal if it's that. Maybe the last time he wasn't under so long and didn't have so much fluid?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If he's just peeing, I agree with others that it's probably from the IV fluids he was given during the procedure, which is a good thing. If the "soft food" he is being fed is of the canned variety, remember that canned food is loaded with "moisture" which will add to his hydration level. If you don't think there has been enough of an improvement by tomorrow, I would give the Vet a call.

I agree with others about protecting his tummy while on the antibiotics.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead