Missing Ear Tips

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Aaron, my brindlebaby was missing both of the tips of his ears (also most of his tail, but I know the reason for that). Now that I've been fostering, I've noticed that most of my fosters are missing at least one ear tip. Does anyone know why this would be? I'm guessing it would have happened when they were puppies???

Is this fairly common for all dogs (Aaron was my first dog and I've only had greys) or just greys?

Enquiring minds want to know (at least mine does).

Phyllis and Miriam and foster Mojo (and Aaron, gone but still loved)

Isn't that interesting. And here I am, whenever anyone posts a picture where I can see the ear tips are missing, I wonder the same thing. And strangely enough, in real life, it's something I see very rarely whereas you see it a lot.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

It seems to me there are more greys (or at least as many) with at least some little split or nick in one or more ear tips than not. My understanding is also that it's likely from puppyhood (since older greys are always muzzled for turnout, especially).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest zombrie

Ace had a good chunk out of his ear. It was from another dog biting it. Those tissue paper thin ears rip like nothin'! Like others said, most likely from when they were puppies

Here is Ace and his ear with a chunk missing!

IMG_6678-1.jpg

Edited by zombrie

Cody was missing sizeable chunks from both ears! Since they're kept together as a litter till they're about a year old, and they're crazy wild to boot, I imagine a lot of them are missing ear chunks!! Since most other dogs are put with people at 8 weeks and probably have tougher ears, you don't see it so much with other breeds, I'd imagine...

Here's a pic of Cody, with chunks missing - just gave her more personality!

SomeoneSayTreat.jpg

CodyCuteWToyDec04.jpg

Cody2.jpg

(Look at the difference in her face from the last pic - the week I got her, age 4, to the 2nd pic, several weeks before she died at age 12...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest PhillyPups

Puppy teeth are sharp, there is a reason they are called landsharks. Also a lot of the scars are from puppy chomping. Also it is easy for an adult dog to grab the tip of an ear even in a muzzle. I always thought they added character. :beatheart

Tip's ears have little nicks out of the tips. I know a couple of them are from him shaking his head and his ear tips hitting the hardware on a collar. Freaked me out when it happened. We were at the dog park and it was winter. Tip starts shaking his head, and all of a sudden there's blood splattering on the snow! Took me a couple minutes to figure out what was had happened.

Puppies are horrible ear biters! It seems the thing they go for most, probably because as puppies their ears tend to flop around and are right at mouth level. My boys Pistol, Bullitt and Sammie are still horrible ear biters. They are littermates and that puppy behavior has followed them because they have been together since puppy hood. The first they they do when they start to play with each other is go for the ears.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My Lulu is the only greyhound I've had with all of her ears! I have always been told that most of the time it's from when they were pups! One of the GUR's that I met, one of the dogs chomped a piece of another dogs ear through his muzzle, so I guess that happens a lot too.

Guest DoofBert

YOu know.,.. all members of the Pokeynose black have all ears in tact......including SIr D,our bridge boy.

But yes, I've heard that puppy play time is rough!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

everyone at my house had all of the ears and no pieces missing but vegas decided to snack on D.C while i wasnt home and took off the tip of her ear while he was muzzled. I have had 3 foster puppies under 4 months old this year and yes puppies LOVE to grab ears im still amazed they didnt remove anything off of each other or my hounds... crazy little buggers :lol

you should see the scars on vegas' leg from chili when she teething, and he just sat there and let her do it too.

Chili also has the tips of her ears missing from the cold out side. She will stick her head in the snow and freeze the tips, then shake her head causing them to split and bleed (we call it happy ear).

And in case your wondering, she loves the snow and cold, and will not wear anything to protect her ears from the cold.

Guest KennelMom

Sometimes ears can take a beating during hauls...dogs are often loaded two per crate and ear tips fit through muzzles. Injuries also happen as puppies when they get free reign 24/7 with each other.

Echo lost the tip of her ear when Peanut bit it off last year! One misplaced warning snap....one ear that was in the wrong place at the wrong time....

4327494837_673ca00971_o.jpg

(I still have the tip of the ear...found it later that night. It dried out perfectly)

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Sometimes ears can take a beating during hauls...dogs are often loaded two per crate and ear tips fit through muzzles. Injuries also happen as puppies when they get free reign 24/7 with each other.

Echo lost the tip of her ear when Peanut bit it off last year! One misplaced warning snap....one ear that was in the wrong place at the wrong time....

4327494837_673ca00971_o.jpg

(I still have the tip of the ear...found it later that night. It dried out perfectly)

Ears bleed a lot too...At least your found the part of the ear i never did, im assuming he ate it. :puke

Guest mbfilby

I've seen an ooops litter of landsharks grow and mature together. It's tiresome just to watch. They almost never stop rough-housing. If they arn't chewing on each other, they are tearing something apart. Although the absolute cutest ever, I clearly understand that we could never live though raising a grey pup. WAY too much energy ..and teeth.. for us..

Interesting ... We've had no greys here with bits missing from their ears, and I can only remember seeing it once or twice - and pups are kept in sibling groups till they start race training just the same over here. :dunno

Perhaps American greys have more delicate earsies! :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Giselle

In a dog fight, ears are the FIRST thing to go. That's why, way back when, cropped ears DID have a purpose. Today, that purpose doesn't exist anymore and is illegal, so ... :) But that's why our pups have "experienced" ears! Imagine living with a bunch of other dogs in close quarters your entire life. You're bound to get a few nicks and bumps.

Lila is missing an ear tip. That must take just enough weight off it so it can stand up. The other ear can't do that unless it gets an assist from the wind. :P

040.jpg

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).