Missing Ear Tips

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Same here Jayne. On hound # 6 and have never had any ear parts missing. :dunno

Yup, same here, hound #8 all with intact ears.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I went through all of my shots of Kevin and I can't find one that shows his notched ear but he has one for sure. That, and a split tongue and a body full of scars. The ear is probably the result of puppyhood, the tongue from those protruding snags of his and the scars??? He thinks he's all big and bad and is a bed stealing brat...that would be my guess!!! My other four have perfectly intact ears (as did Angel Lewis). Hmmmm...what does that say for "The Kev"?

Edited by fourofem

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I just help transport a pup named Earless - can't remember his racing name - and he was truly earless. He was missing his complete ear!

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Only angel Icarus was missing a piece of ear out of our crew.

DSC00031.jpg

I spoke to his breeder/owner shortly after he came home in 2004 and heard about how he lost the ear piece in a puppy brawl.

Thanks to that missing piece, his ear almost always stood up. It alleviated just enough weight. :lol:wub:

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

My Diana has a slice in her ear - and I have seen a couple fosters that had obviously old bungies on their ears - nothing serious. Sounds like the OP just lucked into a lot of ear-bit puppies. :)

I agree with everyone else - probably just puppy-play or occasional adult dog rough-housing. Ears are sensitive - bleed like mad - and don't always heal back to "normal".

No great greyhound ear conspiracy though. :lol

Guest mbfilby

Our our two, Mickey has a horrible scar on one ear. From the look of the scar, the ear was torn about 1/4 way off just above the head. Not sure how they saved it, or if the scar just grew along with her. Cy is fine..

Guest gurehaundo

My two boys, Ace and Jac, have missing pieces of their left ears. Tenn was a coyote-hunting hound from Wyoming and has no missing ear pieces.

Here are both boys:

DSC_0067_2.jpg

Ace's ear is weird. I can tell that some of it is missing, but it's also folded backward. His ear looks like a human ear. It's kind of bizarre! Here's Ace:

DSC_0064.jpg

Here is Jac (don't worry about the scratch on his face, it's already healed!):

DSC_0002_2.jpg

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Here's Aaron's missing tip. Both ears were missing tips, but the left one never would stand up so it was harder to get a pic of it.

GreyHounds020.jpg

Here's a foster with only a little bit off.

001.jpg

And here's my current foster (soon to be a failure). He has a sort of loose piece on his left ear and a missing tip on the right. (He doesn't like having his picture taken - he'll have to get over that. :colgate )

011.jpg

We must get the ones with puppy war stories to tell. Just a note - Miri has huge bat ears and no missing tips. Guess nobody messed with her when she was a pup.

Phyllis and Miriam and foster Mojo (and Aaron, gone but still loved)

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie isn't missing a part of hr ear, but there is a big rip about halfway down one, so it doesn't stand up. When you hold it straight you can see the split. I think it makes her look so cute, having one floppy ear. And when she walks excitedly, one ear goes straight up and one bounces along :blush

P1000275.jpg

Guest Shermanator

Puppies are horrible ear biters! It seems the thing they go for most, probably because as puppies their ears tend to flop around and are right at mouth level. My boys Pistol, Bullitt and Sammie are still horrible ear biters. They are littermates and that puppy behavior has followed them because they have been together since puppy hood. The first they they do when they start to play with each other is go for the ears.

:) My bridge boy Sherman was a HORRIBLE ear grabber. He'd run through the bark park at top speed, catch up to another dog who is running, grab their ear mid-run, stop and roll the dog. :blush We had a hard time breaking him of that when he was young. Such a mouthy boy!

• 2 months later...

Isn't this something?!

Kasey is missing a "flap" on his right ear, and he has little slices on the tops. Ryder's are perfect. Actually Ryder doesn't have a scratch on him anywhere. Kasey clearly has boo boos EVERYWHERE, including a huge scar on his left side.

kaseycoat.jpg

P1000724.jpg

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

This is the adoption photo of Sam I fell in love with eight and a half years ago:

2915067092_235a23d143.jpg

Once, after he'd been harassing Oreo, she whipped around and grabbed him by the ear. Sam froze, a panicked look of Not again! flashed across his face, and he screamed (the greyhound equivalent of yelling Uncle!?). Oreo let go and didn't leave a mark on him. But when she grabbed him like that, I realized how easily a greyhound could suffer that kind of damage. (Sam also arrived here with horrific scars that meander across his chest. And no racing record. But having seen him run into walls, punch out my living room window with his foot, and head-butt running companions in a field, the question isn't "How did he get marked up?" It's "How has he avoided killing himself?")

4752967349_9209bf2dba.jpg

You can see that Jacey is missing just the tip of her right ear, but the other ear has some damage along the side. This is from an encounter she had at the local adoption kennels when she first arrived here. Both the dogs were muzzled, but Jacey managed to feed her ears into the holes of the other dog's muzzle. She rattled the nerves of the kennel walkers that night because, although neither ear suffered much damage, she bled profusely. These days, Jacey's ears are just a bit odd: often, they lie one ear forward, one ear back. And sometimes, when she's interested in something, both ears tip to the same side.

4752967887_353a98383d.jpg

And another look at Sam's ears. I just love that he's always so interested in what's going on. (In these photos, he and Jacey were waiting for the vet to come into the exam room.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest lala22

i think Ziggy had a tear in one of his ears. I love playing and touching his ears, but when i run my fingers across this raised line on one, he'll pull back from me. He won't let me get a good look at it.