Top 10 Surgically Removed Items

Burpdog

According to Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), the nation's oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance, here are the Top 10 items that are surgically removed from pets:

Top 10 Surgically Removed Items

1. Socks

2. Underwear

3. Pantyhose

4. Rocks

5. Balls

6. Chew Toys

7. Corn Cobs

8. Bones

9. Hair Ties/Ribbons

10. Sticks

The cost of treatment for this type of problem can be expensive. It ranges from $800.00 to $1,740.00 depending on the severity of the illness and extensiveness of the surgery. This is a lot of money, but the surgery is necessary to save the pet's life.

This is taken from Dr. Jon's email newsletter

If I remember right, vets consider cow hooves as rocks.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I watched one of my girls eat a sock so fast I wasn't sure that I had really saw what I thought I did.

Thank God, two days later she threw it up.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

YIKES

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest zombrie

My uncle's lab just had surgery a couple weeks ago. They removed a ball of socks. But what led them to go to the ER? The dog was starting to throw up but couldn't, so my uncle opened his mouth and grabbed on to something, and he pulled out an entire, perfect, unchewed LEASH that had been missing since August :eek

Guest Swifthounds

I wonder why batteries aren't on that list. Very common unfortunately.

If treatment involves surgery, I would say those estimates are on the low side.

Guest ChasesMum

nearly 6 years ago Chase ate part of a silicone funnel and blocked 6 WEEKS later! and yeah... about $1600 in ER/diagnostic/surgical fees.

silly puppers!! gotta watchem all.the.time.

Guest Javasmom

... he pulled out an entire, perfect, unchewed LEASH that had been missing since August :eek

:eek OMG!

I feel like a got away with something then because Java ate some interesting things but never needed surgery. He ate the kids crayons, that had to be to most fun thing he ever ate. Picking up his poo for the next couple of days was a riot. He also got a corn cob once. I was SOOOO upset, it was my DBF's that he left out and Java got it. :angry: Thankfully it was small and Java chewed it up very well, the vet did not find anything on xray at all. <_<

Our sweet Scarlett was notorious for eating what she shouldn't. Luckily she never required surgery. You could leave anything out with our boy, Icabod, who was part of the family before Scarlett. We learned that not all dogs were like Icabod. One Christmas I was actually able to string popcorn without it crumbling. I got a couple strings completed and put them on one of the living room chairs and we went out. When we got home, they were gone so we rushed her to the e-vet. They were able to get her to throw up one string and the other???? The worst thing she ate was a green hair scunchy. We didn't know she ate it, she just threw up something green in the living room, I just thought it was grass until I realized it was winter and there was no grass. After that, we did our best to block her from things that could hurt her. We put a baby gate between the dining room and kitchen leaving just enough room for the cats to duck under. We thought that would keep her out until we saw her doing a "commando crawl" :blink: under the gate.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest BlueCrab

Our bridge boy Duke was notorious for stealing and eating anything that wasn't under lock and key. He quickly trained us that we couldn't bring groceries in, leave them, and go out to the car for the next bag. Things would be stolen and devoured in an instant. He mastered opening up cases of soda, stealing cans and puncturing them open in the living room. He also mastered stealing tall cans of cat food out of the bag, opening them (by chewing off the top of the can) and cleaning all the food out - all while we were out in the driveway bringing in the next bag. Lightning fast. When he passed (heart failure - not tummy related), we pondered having him opened up to see what was in his tummy. We pictured old license plates and half a surfboard - like the shark shows you see on TV.

When I was housesitting many, many years ago for a labrador breeder, DH brought a pizza over for dinner. There was one "house dog" and all the rest were in their crates in various parts of the house. During dinner, house dog briefly disappeared and we heard a soft noise from the kitchen. He had gotten onto the counter, opened the pizza box, removed the pizza while leaving the box untouched, and was devouring the entire pizza in one gulp - like those big snakes you see in the Amazon where they unhinge their jaws and eat a goat. We were afraid to reach in to grab it and watched in horrow - and awe - as the entire thing went down in about two gulps. :blink: I later told my friend, the owner, and she said he did it all the time - magically would remove food from boxes on the counter while leaving the box untouched and devour the food without leaving a trace. Nice of her to warn me. ;)

When I worked for a vet in Florida, some clients brought a little dog in who they thought had an obstruction. First, my boss gave the dog something to see if he would throw anything up. And he did---28 cents! Up came 2 dimes, 1 nickle, and 3 pennies. Didn't require any surgery. :colgate

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest MonsterMomma

Or, if your hound is like my Manny, you could be dealing with surgical removal of an impaled object...in his case a 16" stick into his chest cavity. The vet stopped billing us at $20K out of pity. And yes, he survived.

Or, if your hound is like my Manny, you could be dealing with surgical removal of an impaled object...in his case a 16" stick into his chest cavity. The vet stopped billing us at $20K out of pity. And yes, he survived.

I don't think I'll ever forget reading about this harrowing episode. It truly is miraculous that he is alive.

Guest MonsterMomma

I don't think I'll ever forget reading about this harrowing episode. It truly is miraculous that he is alive.

Not only alive, but thriving! He's back to his original weight (94lbs), resumed all activities, and is twice as affectionate as he was before.

Guest Nuthatch

This thread makes me appreciate how lucky I am.

Today, Sable managed to open a storage drum without damaging it and eat a fair portion of our wild bird food store. Half a small bag of mixed seed 5 fat balls – but not the nets nor the plastic bag. She is sat in her crate now looking very sad for herself as she is farting like a trooper and pooping pure, undigested bird seed every half hour – this looks very, very sore.

Guest PiagetsMom

Yep, our vet keeps containers in the exam rooms of things that he's surgically removed from his patients.......obviously some pups will eat just about anything !:blink:

This thread makes me appreciate how lucky I am.

Today, Sable managed to open a storage drum without damaging it and eat a fair portion of our wild bird food store. Half a small bag of mixed seed 5 fat balls – but not the nets nor the plastic bag. She is sat in her crate now looking very sad for herself as she is farting like a trooper and pooping pure, undigested bird seed every half hour – this looks very, very sore.

Poor baby!!!!! Give the poor child a very gentle pat on her poor sore bum for me!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Not long after we got Declan, he got into the trash (step-on lid) and ate 2 corn cobs. (Charlotte never got into anything, so we didn't think to worry about anything.) The next day, they came out the other end (mostly) whole, which made for *very* interesting poop. I've always been thankful that he didn't end up with abrasions or hemorrhoids :ohno . We now weight down the trash lid with our pet first aid bag.

Edited by greypop

Guest greybookends

I have been fortunate to have dogs that while they might chew ANYTHING they don't ingest them. I did however have a child that would put anything in her mouth so much so that I had the poison control number pasted on my phone! <_<

When Treasure ate the three pounds of onions and an avocado, everybody at the vet's office was shocked that she did it! Not because of what she ate, but because she wasn't a lab! :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.