Taste Of The Wild

Guest chaucersmom

Guest chaucersmom

I am considering a switch to Taste of the Wild, or another grain free kibble. Chaucer is currently on a sensitive stomach formula, as almost every other food now gives him horrible gas and soft to diarrhea type stools. Which TOTW formula is closest to a sensitive stomach formula? Or are they all good for a sensitive stomach, being that they are grain free?

Thanks!

You will receive varying opinions here and it probably depends on any sensitivities your pup has. We had Rocket on the High Prairie for a long time, and reached a point where he had the Big D on it. We switched him to their new Lamb formula and he is doing very well on it.

Others here swear by Pacific Stream for sensitive tummys, so you may have to experiment some. If you contact TOTW customer service through their website and request samples, they will send sample bags for you to try. Their customer service is very good, and you may even want to explain the issue and get their recommendation as well.

Good luck and welcome to GT.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Adrianne

I love the pacific stream formula (it's salmon based). My boy had diarrhea and horrible gas for over a year and 8-9 foods until we switched to it. We haven't had a problem since unless someone sneaks him something from his banned list. :angryfire

Another Pacific Stream user here. I switched Chevy two or three weeks ago and have seen great improvement. But if he gets even a bite of something he's not supposed to have, I know it just by his poops.

Pacific Stream here too. Mine are all raw fed at night, but to save time and money, I switched to TOTW for the morning feed. The girls get it every day, Fletcher (IBD) can tolerate it a couple of times a week. I tried, I think the Prairie one, but they did better on Pacific Stream. This is the only kibble Fletcher can eat at all.

I would recommend the Pacific Stream. My pups do really well on it. A long time ago I fed Ace and Fritz the ProPlan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs. It was salmon-based and they did well on it for a while, and then it seemed like ProPlan changed some of their formulas a little bit, and the prices went sky high. After that I tried a few other things before settling on the TOTW. You really can't beat the price for such a high quality grain-free food. I recommend it to anyone who asks! :thumbs-up

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

We had the best luck with High Prairie. We switched to Pacific Stream and 3 dogs got red, irritated, itchy skin so it was back to High Prairie and all is well. Seems to agree with all 18. For the pups that didn't get itchy skin, they did just as well on PS as they do on HP. And some folks might prefer the lower protein level of the PS.

Guest SueG201

I switched my girls over to TOTW pacific salmon a few weeks ago, and my 12 yr old is eating with gusto again, coats are shiny and soft. I do find the poops to be a little bigger

Bella has had trouble with poultry and food that are too rich.. Had her on the California Natural Lamb, did well on it but not great. Over the summer switched her to TOTW lamb formula (Sierra Mountain), both my dogs love it and are doing great on it. NO semi firm poops and they look very healthy. FYI the lamb formula was lower in calories than the CN, initially Bella lost a little weight until I adjusted the amount I fed.

Linda, Keeva and Bella

I do a rotation diet with the dogs. I usually use TOTW Pacific Stream because of the salmon (they have dry skin and the fish oil seems to help), the Fromm's gourmet four star diet (pick a different protein source every time with that one), and Professional's Choice. I don't seem to have a problem with sensitive stomachs, eye watering gas, the big D, or finicky eaters. Luck me.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Guest chaucersmom

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The sensitive-stomach formula he's on now is salmon based, so I think I'm going with PS!! Things were definitely not this difficult when he was a young one! We're pushing 12 in the Spring! When he was 2 he could eat ANYTHING, LITERALLY, and I didn't have to worry, unless it was raisins or chocolate! LOL...

THANKS AGAIN! We'll see how it goes!

• 3 months later...

I've used all of the TOTW formulas and have the best luck with the Pacific Stream (salmon) and the Sierra Mountain (lamb) because two of my three dogs have problems (allergy flare ups) with chicken and the High Prairie and Wetlands both have chicken in them.

I know this is controversial, but some dogs (like some people) benefit from digestive enzymes as they age since digestion, like other bodily processes get less efficient with age. And some dogs (just like some people) develop allergies to things that never bothered them when they were younger as all of our immune systems tend to become less efficient with age.

I had a weimaraner that I raised from a pup. I always laughed and said she had "a cast iron stomach". Then around the age of 9 she started having some digestive issues. She had also started to scratch a lot and her coat lost some of its shine. Adding digestive enzymes and probiotics were very helpful for her.

My second greyhound always seemed to have gastric and digestive issues no matter what food I fed and I went through a bunch of them in the first year after I adopted him. He never had a consistently firm stool until I added digestive enzymes to his food & gave him supplemental probiotics for about a month. I was able to discontinue the probiotics after a while, but any time he had to have medication (especially antibiotics) the diarrhea would come back if I didn't give him probiotics to build the "good bacteria" back up in his digestive tract. I'm not saying this is a cure all for all dogs, but in my 30 years being owned by dogs I've found it's often very helpful for older dogs and/or dogs with an otherwise compromised immune system.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Where would one find digestive enzymes?

There are quite a few formulated specifically for dogs who eat a cooked or kibble diet (raw food supplies it's own enzymes). My link

Prozyme is a reasonable price and I've had good luck with it. Most pet stores, catalogs and websites carry it. If you Google canine digestive enzyme supplements you'll get a lot of different brands varying in price. Prozyme is available most places and isn't very expensive. Nutrigest is another brand that comes highly recommended by my vet. It's more expensive, but really good for difficult cases. Hope this helps. :colgate

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

They have a new flavor that my guys love - Roasted Lamb. They are all doing very well on it in lieu of the Pacific Coast Salmon they were on before with no problems. Like to switch it around for variety. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.