Sarcoma Tumor In Front Leg

Guest Chris0060

Guest Chris0060

I am new to this site so please forgive me if this topic has been posted before. I am the proudest owner of a 7.5 year old male light brindle, Dakota. On Monday, he went into surgery for a removal of a lump on his right leg. The biopsy came back yesterday, and i was told the tumor was a form of a sarcoma. I was told briefly of my options which include radiation ( $3,000), amputation, or just a wait and see approach. I am devastated, as Dakota is still a great runner and playful dog. This is my first greyhound who was made such an impact on everyone who has met him.

I am opposed to amputation at this point. I just cannot fathom seeing him with 3 legs. To me, this is not what he would want. Can anyone give me some feedback on this issue? Thank you!

Guest Chris0060

Read about Charlie

I hope Charlies_Dad doesn't mind that Im putting this here.. but I noticed a few days ago that GT has a very sweet 3-legged greyhound. Don't rule it out if it's what might save your pup.

Thank you for that link. Very touching!

Guest BlueCrab

I don't have any personal experience, but you have come to the right source here on GT. You say a "sarcoma" but don't elaborate on what cancer it is. I don't know how many other sarcomas it might be, but osteosarcoma is a viscious cancer that many folks on GT have experience with, as Greyhounds tend to have a higer incidence than other breeds. If there is another type of sarcoma that is less aggressive then I'll pray that's what it is. As I said, I don't know.

There are many factors in making a decision about whether to amputate or choose palliative care including the extent of the damage, how far the cancer has spread, your own finances, your ability to do after-care if you do amputate, etc.

If it's OS, not amputating doesn't give you a whole lot of options except for pain management and palliative care. Dogs with active OS who don't go the amputation route don't tend to stay with us very long, although recently there have been some outstanding posts from owners who have taken a holistic approach - Neylasmom for one has posted excellent information.

There are many, many owners who have taken the amputation route. Dogs adapt much more quickly than you'd think to having a missing limb. Owners probably take it harder than the dogs do. But OS, particularly in younger dogs, does tend to be very aggressive and I believe does tend to have a high tendency for recurrence even with amputation. I'm not trying to scare you, but to just be up-front with you about what you're facing.

Please take the time to really sit down and look thru the pages of Health and Medical posts to research the topic. It's an on-going topic, unfortunately. Hopefully some of the folks who have much more experience will join in on the discussion and will provide you with more help. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Edited by BlueCrab

I amputated my 12 yr old's right front leg. She was pain free after that. She became bright and happy again and it really only took 2 weeks. She ran and played and enjoyed life another 6 months before OS hit another leg.

Some don't even last as long, others last a very long time.

Sarcomas are very painful cancers. My vet told me that even if the don't go the radiation or chemo route after surgery, they are pain free.

While I questioned my decision up to the day she had surgery, by the time she was off pain meds 2 weeks later, I knew I made the right decision.

I will tell you though, I made the long trip to see Dr. Couto at OSU. He's THE greyhound oncologist.

Edited by MP_the4pack

Chris I am so sorry. I lost my first to OS (osteo sarcoma). I'd have to say that from the time I first noticed a limp to the time I set him free was almost a year. Only about 4 months with the official diagnosis though. Its a very personal decision (and unfortunatly a financial one) as to treatment. My best advice is lots of vanilla ice cream, marshmellows and love. For BOTH of you. Please stick with us through this journey. The folks here were an invalueble source of knowledge and comfort for me. I hope you will feel the same.

Holly

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I am new to this site so please forgive me if this topic has been posted before. I am the proudest owner of a 7.5 year old male light brindle, Dakota. On Monday, he went into surgery for a removal of a lump on his right leg. The biopsy came back yesterday, and i was told the tumor was a form of a sarcoma. I was told briefly of my options which include radiation ( $3,000), amputation, or just a wait and see approach. I am devastated, as Dakota is still a great runner and playful dog. This is my first greyhound who was made such an impact on everyone who has met him.

I am opposed to amputation at this point. I just cannot fathom seeing him with 3 legs. To me, this is not what he would want. Can anyone give me some feedback on this issue? Thank you!

A lot depends on the kind of sarcoma. I urge you to contact Dr. Couto or his team at OSU. They provide free email or phone consults to owners of retired racing greyhounds (or their vets). I will follow this message with complete information on how to contact them.

Since they tried to remove the lump, perhaps it is a form of soft tissue cancer. If so, Dr. Couto is having good success with an injectable type of chemo (5FU) that injects into the tumor site. This is about one fourth the cost of the multiple radiation treatments commonly used to treat this cancer. If they got clean margins there is a chance that he might not need treatment. I am assuming that they did not since they mentioned radiation or amputation. There is a special method of preparing the 5FU so be sure to have your vet consult with Dr. Couto if doing this.

If it is osteosarcoma (a bone cancer common in greyhounds), the situation is much bleaker. It is important with osteo to decide on your course of treatment quickly. Amputation/chemo is typically regarded as the only chance at beating this cancer. That being said, only a small percentage (10 to 20%) live past two years. 50% live 14 months. Without amputation and chemo the average is closer to 6 to 12 weeks. Most dogs do great on three legs (barring other orthopedic issues that would contradict an amputation). My Joe was getting around well on his own after 10 days and by 4 weeks he was his normal self, chasing squirrels in the yard. Dogs don't have the emotional attachment to their limbs like we do. They just know that their pain is gone and they can enjoy life again. That being said, amputation is a very major surgery and carries its own risks.

Feel free to call me if you like, my number is 614-523-0754

Jane

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team. The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate.

Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Guest Chris0060

Thank you to all who have replied, especially joejoesmom. In our discussion yesterday, the vet didn't mention Osteo Sarcoma. SHe was discussing it as a skin/nerve sheath issue. I am scheduled to get the stitches removed in 11 days, so I will be sure to get more specific information. For now, I will cherish every second with him. I will re-consider my thoughts on amputation too. The tumor was not bothering him at all, and his running and playfulness was not affected. I am glad I rushed this, after reading the sad-but-true details.

Why are greyhounds prone to this ailment? Is it from their upbringing on a track and diet?

Guest Chris0060

Ah Jane--you beat me to it :P Please follow joejoesmom and contact Ohio State. Would be a shame if you went the amputation route if the 5FU injection would do the trick. ;) Did the path report mention hemangiopericytoma??

I will follow up with my local vet who has always been helpful. I will get more specifics and will drive to Ohio from Connecticut If I had to, in order to get the best treatment for him. Amputation is my last alternative and I still haven't come to terms with it just yet. :(

Thank you to all who have replied, especially joejoesmom. In our discussion yesterday, the vet didn't mention Osteo Sarcoma. SHe was discussing it as a skin/nerve sheath issue. I am scheduled to get the stitches removed in 11 days, so I will be sure to get more specific information. For now, I will cherish every second with him. I will re-consider my thoughts on amputation too. The tumor was not bothering him at all, and his running and playfulness was not affected. I am glad I rushed this, after reading the sad-but-true details.

Why are greyhounds prone to this ailment? Is it from their upbringing on a track and diet?

Absolutely not. Genetics. Many Greyhound sires have THOUSANDS of offspring. It's harder to find two racing hounds who don't have some common relatives than to find two who do not. Greyhounds who have never been anywhere NEAR a track get it. I had the honor of hearing Dr. Couto speak for two hours on the topic.

FYI, he calls NGA Greyhounds "three legged dogs with a spare."

Look at your dog's front legs and chest. See how close together they are? If you remove the leg, the other leg only has to shift about an inch to provide proper balance. Greyhounds do just fine with three legs versus a broad dog like a Rottie who has to really move that remaining leg fairly far.

Sounds like you need more info. on the particular cancer before you can really make a decision. Good luck.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My little girl Ace just had a tumor removed from her rear leg. It was buried deep in the muscle and was some sort of nerve sheath tumor. Our vet didn't take margins because he didn't want to be cutting out part of her muscle only to have it come back benign. Unfortunately, it was malignant :( Some sort of sarcoma. He said if it comes back we'll have to get more aggressive with it. She had her stitches removed at Thanksgiving. The lab report said that if the cancer metastasizes, it is usually to the lungs. It also said that removing the tumor with clear margins is often very encouraging, so, I'm going to hang onto that for now...if she gets another tumor, I think we might try to remove with clear margins and leave it at that. If ANOTHER one shows up, we'll look into that chemo. Ace already takes a chemotherapy drug because she has chronic lymphocytic leukemia as well :(

Wishing you the best of luck. Having your vet talk to Dr. Couto will give you all of the possible options and you'll be able to go from there :grouphug

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Instead of waiting for your next visit to learn the specific type of cancer, another option is to call your vet's office for a refresher of the exact cancer name. The front office might be willing to clarify it verbally, scan/email, or FAX that page of medical notes written by your vet. Understandably, a shocking veterinary visit like this is tough to fully absorb. We can help more knowing that information. Our thoughts are with you and your Greyhound.

Ah Jane--you beat me to it :P Please follow joejoesmom and contact Ohio State. Would be a shame if you went the amputation route if the 5FU injection would do the trick. ;) Did the path report mention hemangiopericytoma??

I will follow up with my local vet who has always been helpful. I will get more specifics and will drive to Ohio from Connecticut If I had to, in order to get the best treatment for him. Amputation is my last alternative and I still haven't come to terms with it just yet. :(

I can give you directions :colgate I have made the trip from NJ many times and I would do it again in the heartbeat if needed! Please keep us posted!

Instead of waiting for your next visit to learn the specific type of cancer, another option is to call your vet's office for a refresher of the exact cancer name. The front office might be willing to clarify it verbally, scan/email, or FAX that page of medical notes written by your vet. Understandably, a shocking veterinary visit like this is tough to fully absorb. We can help more knowing that information. Our thoughts are with you and your Greyhound.

Absolutely. nod.gif That way, by the time Dakota has his stitches out, you'll have been able to contact Dr. Couto's team & hit the ground running with your treatment decision. Cause 7.5 is still a baby. And don't feel weird about contacting OSU - they're waiting for your call. Well not really lol.gif but they are extraordinary. beatinghearts.gif

And welcome to Greytalk. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Absolutely. nod.gif That way, by the time Dakota has his stitches out, you'll have been able to contact Dr. Couto's team & hit the ground running with your treatment decision. Cause 7.5 is still a baby. And don't feel weird about contacting OSU - they're waiting for your call. Well not really lol.gif but they are extraordinary. beatinghearts.gif

And welcome to Greytalk. smile.gif

Make that two who agree!:nod Do not wait. You are in control of Dakota's treatment options, but in order to make the best decision for you and him, you must have the pathology report in front of you and available to send to OSU. They are incredible! Dr. Couto is absolutely the best there is. :bow2

Welcome to GT! I am sorry it is under these circumstances, but you won't find a better resource for knowledge, understanding and compassion.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

If you are in the North East, New England Veterinary Oncology Group is amazing! (NEVOG for short) OSU obviously is the #1 choice, but getting there is not always practical. Auggie has been diagnosed with cancer, we are not sure what kind yet, but the information we got from NEVOG was 1000x's more than any vet in the area, and we got several opinions. I wish you luck and hope for the best outcome possible.

Also, as a side note, a close friend of mine had a four year osteo survivor named Katie - she also published a pamphlet called, "Cancer and Your Greyhound". Once you stop crying, it has a ton of info. Her e-mail is www.downdogyogastudio.com

A lot depends on the kind of sarcoma. I urge you to contact Dr. Couto or his team at OSU. They provide free email or phone consults to owners of retired racing greyhounds (or their vets). I will follow this message with complete information on how to contact them.

Since they tried to remove the lump, perhaps it is a form of soft tissue cancer. If so, Dr. Couto is having good success with an injectable type of chemo (5FU) that injects into the tumor site. This is about one fourth the cost of the multiple radiation treatments commonly used to treat this cancer. If they got clean margins there is a chance that he might not need treatment. I am assuming that they did not since they mentioned radiation or amputation. There is a special method of preparing the 5FU so be sure to have your vet consult with Dr. Couto if doing this.

If it is osteosarcoma (a bone cancer common in greyhounds), the situation is much bleaker. It is important with osteo to decide on your course of treatment quickly. Amputation/chemo is typically regarded as the only chance at beating this cancer. That being said, only a small percentage (10 to 20%) live past two years. 50% live 14 months. Without amputation and chemo the average is closer to 6 to 12 weeks. Most dogs do great on three legs (barring other orthopedic issues that would contradict an amputation). My Joe was getting around well on his own after 10 days and by 4 weeks he was his normal self, chasing squirrels in the yard. Dogs don't have the emotional attachment to their limbs like we do. They just know that their pain is gone and they can enjoy life again. That being said, amputation is a very major surgery and carries its own risks.

Feel free to call me if you like, my number is 614-523-0754

Jane

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team. The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate.

Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Ditto! If this is soft tissue, OSU has another option but you may need to find someone in your area willing to administer. My boy and another pup in my area had the same diagnosis. Not a death sentence, depending on grade of tumor, and there are options outside of radiation. Feel free to PM me. Where do you live?

Guest RICHandJUDE

Guest RICHandJUDE

My 7 year old greyhound was diagnosed with osteo on September 24. We had his back leg amputated on September 27. He has had no problems whatsoever and gets along just fine. He can run almost as fast as he could when he had 4 legs. Matter-of-fact, the other day he jumped two feet off the ground trying to get a squirrel going up a tree. (I have to slow him down so he doesn't injure one of his remaining legs) Believe me, I think we miss their leg more than they do.

Good Luck in whatever you decide. I would still go the amputation route if I had to do over again. (My greyhound is also getting chemo)

Our Charlie as referenced in the second reply was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. As others have stated, please find out the type of cancer Dakota has as treatments vary. Contact Dr. Coutu's team as Jane (Joejoesmom) provided and if you do not get a response immediately, keep trying as they are very busy. If you need to talk about our experience as we went the amputation and chemo route, please feel free to e-mail me at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com or you can call me at 613-525-5551. I can only say we chose amputation because it gets rid of the pain of Osteo, the chemo is help extend his life and hopefully reduce chances it's spread elsewhere in his body.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Chris I am also in CT. If I can be of any help, moral support, etc, please feel free to contact me. Also-I am not opposed to road trips and if you need to make the journey alone would be happy to co-pilot!! Its not a lot, but its what I can give you.....

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest bigorangedog

Hi there -

Don't have time to write a long reply right now, but I've had 2 dogs with leg amputations (at 9 yrs old and 11 yrs old), both due to osteosarcoma. Unfortunately, because the osteo was so aggressive, I only got 6 months with each of them. But they were 6 great months. They both did unbelievably well on 3 legs. Please check out the link in my signature for info on leg amputations. Feel free to contact me with Qs!

Jen

I just wanted to reinforce, if this is NOT Osteo but soft tissue, there is a chemo protocol, versus radiation, that involves four injections into the site, versus 3 weeks of radiation and the cost is around $900. If you are in CT, I know a vet in Rhode Island who offers this treatment. Dr. Couto at OSU GHWP is the one who developed this protocol and has been using it for 10 years. He no longer recommends radiation for this type of cancer. The vet in Rhode Island has been doing it for a couple years now and he started with one of my friends greyhounds who remains cancer free 2.5 years later. Please feel free to contact me with any questions once you find out more.