Ice Cream....

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Do any of you give your grey's human ice cream, like Edys or Breyers? Just wondering if it's safe for them or should I get Frosty Paws?

Thanks!

I have been known to give small amounts (quarter cup) with no problem. Only issue I can see is if dog was lactose intolerant -- you might be in for some gas and mooshy poop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can make your own. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to puree some raw liver, add it to unflavored yogurt and freeze it. I'm not sure of the ratio, though. If anyone else has ever made it, I hope perhaps they can provide the details?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We give Rocket ice cream most nights before bed. He often won't go to bed until he has it.

We only feed him vanilla, usuallly lowfat like the slow churn kind. He gets a little sliver of it in his dish and usually comes back for another. I would estimate the total that he gets at somewhere between 3 and 4 teaspoons. No harmful effects from it here, and we take it into account as part of his overall food / snack intake.

It's more of a ritual than anything. He does respond to the words "ice cream." Be careful how often you say it....:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest krystolla

Hack doesn't like Frosty Paws, even when the neighbor's dogs were kind enough to demonstrate proper doggy ice cream eating technique. He's very fond of human vanilla ice cream but I've never given him more than a tablespoon or so.

His favorite is home made doggy ice cream: mushed banana, yogurt and a dash of peanut butter. Super easy to make and healthier, I think, than any of the other options. I like to use it to "seal" the top of a kong toy filled with kibble. I guess I could fill the whole thing but I think that might be a bit too much treat in one sitting. :)

Guest avadogner

We do frosty paws or Dogsters here in our home but Ava has food allergies. Augie is getting his first one tomorrow after our walk so we'll see if he likes it too. Publix occasionally does the buy one get one free on the Dogsters and we stock up then.

Obviously it's not healthy food for anyone, but as long as your dog can tolerate it, I don't see a problem with giving it as a special treat. My dogs always get to lick the dish if someone is having ice cream at my house.

For Riley's 11th birthday I took the dogs to Coldstone and Riley got a kid's size peanut butter ice cream with graham crackers and marshmallows. I'm pretty sure he got brain freeze he was licking so much at a time :lol I got him a whole cone from McD's once after he had been at the vet all day, and he acted like the cone was poison :lol When he was dxed with osteo, I made quite a few special trips to Baskin Robbins just for him. :heart

I decided it would be tradition to take the dogs for ice cream on their birthdays in honor of Riley. So we went on Jabari's (IG) 11th birthday, but he's only 11 lbs and I overdid it :blush Poor guy had a tummy ache. Puzzle's 7th birthday is coming up in a few months but this time the iggies will only get a few spoonfuls!

Guest Sunset123

I've given frozen yogurt, but Arrisa doesn't really know the difference between that and plain yogurt that I mush some peanut butter and banana into and freeze. I'd rather give her that.

I have very fond memories of my whole family (when I was a kid--Mom, Dad, two brothers, me, and our four English Setters) walking to the ice cream parlor on Nantucket and getting cones. All four dogs would sit, drooling, knowing that all but one of us would be surrendering the bottom of the cone with some ice cream in it. They were SO cute! And we used to take the one we showed to McDonalds for a vanilla shake and plain burger after every dog show!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck