Beth Won Musical Hoops

Just a silly little brag because I know greyhound folks will appreciate it.... Today was the last day of a fairly informal training class Beth and I have been doing, called Puppy Paws Around Town -- a mixture of exposing dogs to different environments (very easy for us as I take Beth all over anyway) and doing some intermediate training exercises/games. We did a game of Musical Hoops -- a bunch of hula hoops were laid out on the ground and we circled around, when the music stopped you had to get your dog in a sit-stay inside a hoop.

We had five dogs, and Beth won! She really is an excellent sitter, at least when high-value treats are in the offing. :rolleyes: Admittedly she's older than the other dogs there and has been through more training classes . . . and I confess my competitive side came out and we stuck closer to the hoops than some other people so I didn't get caught hoopless! But it means something to me when my greyhound can win a sitting game. :colgate

(The other dogs were a Boxer/GSD mix, a Lab, a Schnauzer, and a Shih-tzu.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest cwholsin

That is just awesome! Go Beth!! We've been able to teach Hermes to sit, and he's taken to automatically sitting when we take out a toy or something he really wants :lol

Congreytulations to Beth and you!

Of all the different methods to teach greyhounds to sit, which worked best with Beth?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I noticed Beth sits spontaneously when she's on a hill facing downward. How I finally taught her to sit after struggling for some weeks when we were in a beginner class was to go out on leash and position her on a slope, and then ask for the sit with the standard motion (treat moving backwards over her head). She got it very quickly then, and within a day or two had generalized to doing it on flat ground, indoors, etc. This method worked for at least one other person on GT after I recommended it!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad