Ollie Not Right- Update 50

RobinM

Would Ollie be monitored there?

adding...of course someone is there 24 hours so they could keep an eye on him....as long as they will check on him.

I'd probably leave him there for a few hours and make sure he's gonna be ok.

Edited by greyhounds1234

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! My thoughts are with you. I'm sorry I'm not any help for anything else. But the great white north is chiming in with good, strong thoughts!

I find it weird that it could be this, that or the other. Wouldn't they be able to tell some of those things, like a collapsed esophagus? And would I want to leave my dog in there overnight? No, but I think I would. At least if something dire suddenly happened, there would be a quick response. I wouldn't want to risk the 35 minutes.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

:goodluck for Ollie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Hollys2hounds

I do not know how to advise you. and I wouldn't tell you what to do...

VERY DIFFERENT FROM OLLIE'S SITUATION, BUT., When Gunner had a bad case of big D. ...My very respected e-vet told me Gunner had to have an all kinds of expensive tests, that he should spend the night, and that we were looking at $2500. plus...

I opted for fluids under the skin, sent him home, and visit my vet in the am.

Metroniozole and fluids and Gunny was fine.

What is your gut telling you?

Can you wait til morning and see your vet first thing?

Can you call your regular vet for advice?

PS my vet said my e-vets are alarmists. Don't know about yours.

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Can Ollie and Rich stay put for an hour? That might be enough to reassure you that Ollie is stable enough to come home--or it might convince you and Rich and the e-vets that Ollie needs to stay put.

ETA: If the e-vet is recommending antibiotics that Ollie has never taken before, I'd definitely keep him at the e-vets until he's had the antibiotics and is past the point where he could have a bad reaction to them. You don't want anaphylactic shock and a 35-minute drive.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Rich is much calmer than I am. He and I spoke after he spoke to the vet. She feels that no matter what she would not do the esphogus rinse tonight. But if we are going to bring him to our vet tomorrow (which we are,) they are OK with us bringing him home with some clavomox incase it is an infection or even phumonia.

I will sleep on the floor with him and monitor him. If there is any change, I will bring him back. at this time of night, it's a 20-25 minute trip. Vet is ok with that.

I will take him in at 8am.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh, jeez....no wonder you're not sure what to do. Can only send LOTS of good thoughts to you and Ollie, and hope that your boy is okay.

ETA You were posting while I was posting. Sounds like a good plan.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

You know you probably aren't going to get any sleep! Ollie will probably just pass out when he gets home from all the excitement.

I'll be up for a few hours if you get bored.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

Repeating the idea I tacked on to my previous post (too easy to miss): Has Ollie had clavamox before? Similar antibiotics? You might want him to have his first dose under the e-vets nose and let them watch for trouble. If he's got breathing difficulties, you don't want anaphylactic shock on top of that.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sounds like you have a good Plan in place. We are sending prayers and good thoughts for Ollie.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Just got the text. $680.90 later. We have to bring him to our vet tomorrow. I was supposed to be at my daughters house at 9 to take her and the babys to the pediatrian.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

But it was money well spent. If there had been something critically wrong..it could have saved his life and money just becomes a thing after a while.

Hope your DH took the xrays with him so your regular vet can take a look at them.

But it was money well spent. If there had been something critically wrong..it could have saved his life and money just becomes a thing after a while.

Hope your DH took the xrays with him so your regular vet can take a look at them.

Oh, beleive me, I know that about the money, it's only money.

Yes, they gave him the film on disk. I emailed my vet. I am trying to reach my 19 year old son - maybe he can take my daughter tomorrow.

I've been in the midst of vet bills this week with more ocming so at this point, I'm a little numb to them.

Ollie home, subdued. Getting a ton of loving. Going to get down on floor with him and try to sleep. Thank you everyone for your kindness and support. He seems to be breathing a little easier.

Will update after we see our vet.

Guest KennelMom

Yikes! What a night!! I'm glad Ollie is home and resting comfortably...Hopefully your vet will be able to give him a clean bill of health today and his episode was a transient one-off type of deal.

Just seeing this, sorry Ollie, you and Rich are going through this. It's the worse thing when they don't come up with a diagnosis. E vets once xrayed Cody head to toe, fluids under the skin, $750 later, diagnosis, UTI. Hope your schedule can be worked out, it's hard to be pulled in two different directions.

Robin, that is scary. I hope Ollie is doing much better this morning. Ollie is just a gorgeous boy, he will come round.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Brought Ollie into our vet. The vet I really dislike was the only vet in.. of course. Not for any reason, other than, I just don't like her. I think she is 12 and seems so unsure of herself. But I know others who like her.. so it's me.

Anyway, I actually turned around when I heard she was in and then said to myself, she is a vet and probably knows a little bit more than I so I will bring him in.

His physical exam once again was normal. When she listens to his chest, there is a slight wheezing. She admitted him with IV fluids and wants to keep him overnight. I am not sure I will do that though. I need a good agruement why it's best to keep him there ALONE overnight when he can be monitored here by us. He will have been on IV fluids for 12 hours by 9 pm. I will call at 2 and see how he is.

I told her he is allergic to grains, chicken etc. I later asked are you going to give him anything by mouth? She said we will try to give him some soft canned food. I SAID NO YOU WON'T. HE EATS RAW. HE IS ALLERGIC TO GRAINS AND CHICKEN. We don't neeed a secondary problem. I guess it's stuff like that that PO off to no end.

I will see if they will offer him raw packaged that i can bring to them.

So, they took bloods so see if they can tell if it's pnumonia. My vet is on jury duty today. The other vet on vacation, the other one not in. Figures.

No one knows anything more than they did last night. I am so upset.