Warning - Save A Greys's Life - Toxicology Scare For Our Grey

Guest JENWIT2NS

Guest JENWIT2NS

This post is dedicated to inform others to help SAVE A LIFE !

Recently, we rescued our third grey. Many of you guys would remember her. Her name is Platty, she was looking for a home for some time now and even have read some posts about her on greytalk trying to get her a loving home . Finally, she is home. But I would have no idea of the potential toxic lethal dose of my proventil inhaler was going to be 6 weeks after her arrival to our family.

On my night stand, platty was in a "chewy" mood and decided that the my inhaler was going to be a good choice as a chew toy. WE heard a sssssssssss coming out of the bedroom, and quickly realized that she punctured my BRAND NEW inhaler. Ingesting a potentially lethal dose of albuterol.

My first thought was, boy this cant be good. Did it go in her mouth? Did it go in the air? Well, Within 10 minutes, she became very out of breath, panting, and her heart was BANGING out of her chest. I ran to the lap top and googled, albuterol and dogs and read that this is a dangerous thing! I frantically grabbed the keys to the car and was out the door in a FLASH with her. The vet was 10 minutes away and in that amount of time, she became very lethargic and you can see in the dark of night her heart banging her chest wall. She also threw up.

As we entered the Vet, they quickly triaged her and took her straight to the back because her heart was at a alarming rate of 180 bpm as opposed to normal 90-100. They explained to me that this was very serious, but our quick response could be on her side! Thank God, we were home! I shutter to think if we were not. In the waiting room, the silence was deafening. My heart was going that fast and the CRIPPLING fear that this is going to be bad.

She was put on propranol (few doses thru the night) to slow her heart, and to get her IV fluids for the potassium levels to raise. Her levels were a 2.0 which is considered very very dangerous as we were told. She was admitted obviously, with monitoring via ekg, (which was shown she was having pcv 's - I dont know if this is correct spelling, its pretty much a erythmia as i understand.)

For the entire night and day (not that i slept a wink) was in disbelief and sadness that I did this to her. My worst fears that she would have a complication not make it thru the night. I still have trouble replaying the event in my head in sadness and panic. I had NO idea that she would have gone for this! As a friend said, LESSON LEARNED. I will not be leaving my inhaler next to my bed, it will be put away.

She is home safe and sound and last night had bday party for both platty (6) and sophie (10) (posted pics called family) WE are more than lucky to have her back at home. We thank GOD for putting us in the right place and time, and Thank GOD for creating vet's ... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Be Prepared

Keep the telephone number of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center—(888) 426-4435—as well as that of your local veterinarian, in a prominent location. We had to pay 65 fee but worth every penny in a jam.

ASTHMA INHALER WARNING

Its imperative to seek medical attention quickly in the event an accident does occur.

Its life or death.

Jennifer

Wow, how scary! I'm so glad that everybody is ok now. Thanks for the warning.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline is wonderful and is a lifesaver. I had to use it several times with Loca. Definitely worth every penny.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

That is a very frightening ordeal! I am thankful Platty is okay after all that. All 'drugs' should be kept well away from pups. It's so easy to forget and leave something laying around not thinking twice. Then it happens and now you are racing for your pups life. Thank you for the warning, hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

OMG!

Being a retired paramedic, I totally understand all of this, and WOW! Yes, she was in a very dangerous situation, but THANK GOD YOU reacted quickly!

Your quick actions, realizing what this drug could and WAS doing to her, most likely, saved her life!

Thank you for posting this, because this drug is VERY dangerous. It is "related" to adrelaline and an OD could kill a dog, child, OR adult!

I am VERY Glad she is home safely. Please send her a hug for me, AND one for you, too!

Guest JENWIT2NS

Jenn ,

What a terrible scare. So very glad your sweet girl Platty is ok. And, I hope to see you on a walk sometime soon.

Nancy and the Gang

Nancy, see you Saturday hopefully? Sending Love !!

Jester has been posting about a similar experience for years. She's made me very aware of putting my inhalers in a drawer instead of on the nightstand.

http://forum.greytal..._1#entry4383475

We should see if we could have this pinned by MOD?

Guest Swifthounds

Inhalers are a huge danger. I don't use them, but my mother does. All inhalers are kept inside drawers (night stand, and a kitchen drawer on the first floor) inside a small latching metal box as a safety measure.

Also, a reminder for women, be careful where you place your purse. Purses make a fun toy, given all the noisy items inside. My mom also carries a rescue inhaler in her purse, which is secured in a wooden bench seat.

That is so Very Scary! Thanks so Much for posting this, I am not sure how I missed the other post but I am on a albuterol inhaler. I keep one in my purse and the other one in my headboard. Aladdin loves to get in my purse if I forget and don't put it up high. You bet I am going to make sure I put my purse up high for now on and I am going to put the inhaler in a zipper part of the purse and the other one in the medicine cabinet. I am so happy your baby is going to be OK.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest JENWIT2NS

That is so Very Scary! Thanks so Much for posting this, I am not sure how I missed the other post but I am on a albuterol inhaler. I keep one in my purse and the other one in my headboard. Aladdin loves to get in my purse if I forget and don't put it up high. You bet I am going to make sure I put my purse up high for now on and I am going to put the inhaler in a zipper part of the purse and the other one in the medicine cabinet. I am so happy your baby is going to be OK.

Yes at least we are aware now. Its tough, speaking for myself, i use my inhaler, soooo much. its second nature to me to have one all the time, its hard to break a old habit, but this recent scare is a great motivator!!!! I feel like a terrible mommy. I wish there was a cure for Asthma and Other medical issues that require all this medication, but unfortunatley not. I have babied proof just about all i can think of in the house now.

Jenn

Frightening story! As a side note - since so many of our houndies go on Rimadyl....if you have a cat, be sure to keep the Rimadyl out of reach. Extremely dangerous for our kitties. I spent a very long weekend a few years ago w/a kitty in the hospital having his kidney's flushed.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

When I got the email from Jen regarding Platty, I cried and cried. I was so upset it happened and so relieved she was OK. I KNOW how much this girl means to her and to everyone in the GAA family.

I can't wait to see you guys this weekend.

Thanks for posting this.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PhillyPups

If you have an exporing shopping kinda hound, which it sounds like she is CHILD PROOF/DOG PROOF your home - everything out of reach/away.

You were very lucky this time.

Guest TBSFlame

I use those tubs with locking handles. I have them around the house to put stuff in I don't want to put away right away. My hounds will steal my shoes off my feet so I put them in the tubs and protect them. :) I have one beside the bed where DH can put his things. I have a friend that lost her hound b/c of getting into pills on the counter. It is very sad. A lot of dogs are nosey (I have several) and like to explore and get into things they shouldn't.

Guest Bang_o_rama

Houndies have powerful jaws! Considering that Bang, trying to open a door, put deep dents in a steel door knob with her teeth, an inhaler has NO chance.

~D~

Guest Swifthounds

Houndies have powerful jaws! Considering that Bang, trying to open a door, put deep dents in a steel door knob with her teeth, an inhaler has NO chance.

~D~

Oh yeah. When people marvel at the raw bones my crew powers through, I remind them of my first hound, whom I lost to kidney failure. That was before I knew better, so I followed the vet advice to feed a canned Rx diet. Dasher demonstrated definitively that he was still hungry by "serving" himself by taking several cans and putting 4 nice puncture holes in each...

Guest JENWIT2NS

~D~

Oh yeah. When people marvel at the raw bones my crew powers through, I remind them of my first hound, whom I lost to kidney failure. That was before I knew better, so I followed the vet advice to feed a canned Rx diet. Dasher demonstrated definitively that he was still hungry by "serving" himself by taking several cans and putting 4 nice puncture holes in each...

That is hysterical!

• 2 years later...
Guest erinmully

We just had this happen with our grey Hudson tonight-punctured an inhaler while I was cooking dinner. We immediately took him to UPenn emergency vet, and he is staying overnight with fluids and an EKG monitor. Really scary situation that escalated pretty quickly, but glad he is in good hands. I had no idea this could be such a serious issue! Now we know not to leave our inhalers anywhere Hudson can reach!