Gender Preference From Your Hounds?

Guest NeroAmber

It depends on the dog. Some form strong bonds with males and some with females. In our home I am the primary care giver because I'm home all day. If my dogs need anything, they always come to me. That doesn't mean that they don't all go nuts when dad comes home because they absolutely do!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've only had females in my little house due to size reasons, I've gone with females. My newest foster Holly was raised and trained by a female and before I took her in she pretty much stayed with the ladies at the M&Gs. When I took her in for about two days she was leery of me. But after a couple of days she has latched to me like no other foster had. I go to bed at night and by the time I wake up in the morning Holly has gotten on the bed and somehow pushed Tessa off the spare pillow and made herself at home. Usually she will have her head on my shoulder or at least a paw on my arm.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest happygrey

While I feel that Tatam is definitely well bonded to me (and I'm with the dogs more than anyone else in the household) he absolutely LOVES men. If we meet a man on a walk and stop to chat, he'll be glued to him within minutes. And he really loves my husband.

Bentley loves me best, :lol then my husband and daughter. He's friendly to everyone we meet on walks & such and doesn't seem to prefer one gender over the other.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

im not sure if the dogs gender has anything to do with it, im the main care giver and ear scritchie giver and daddy plays with them but the older two hounds Vgas (male) and D.C (female) are my doggies for sure they picked me. The youngest Chili (female ) is so a daddys girl it isnt even funny, if daddy is there and i ask her to come over she looks at him to see if it is ok with him and then comes over.

I'm the sole caregiver, but when my s/o is in town...both will seek him out to be petted, but they are completely "my dogs" even when he is around. Claire clearly is not real fond of men who are strangers, she's more of a girl's girl. Carl has no preference and loves to be adored by by either men or women.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest DoofBert

Bacchus is my hubby's dog.. truly a man's dog.

Tessa shows no difference between men or women -- she's more concerned about who will give her the most attention.

Bert is my boy. nuf said.

Tania and Li'l Em -- more my dogs than hubby's.....but will cuddle with the daddieman on the couch.

I would say that it holds true here. My boys are the lovey type, all three of them. My girls are cuddly too, but they aren't attached to my hip like the boys are. Ace is a grandpa's girl, for sure though :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Since it's just me here with my crew (3 males, 2 females) it's hard to say. Stel is probably the most aloof of the five but when she's in the mood, she's my most attention craving hound. Lizzie LOVES men...I know she loves me but when there's a man around, she forgets all about me! My boys are pretty loyal....doesn't matter who is around, male or female, they pretty much stick with me.

I love all of mine equally, but I have a soft spot for boys....especially the BIG boys. I think Lewis is responsible for that. I've got it in my head that when the time comes to adopt again, it'll be a sweet little female but I know if I saw a big, goofy boy, he'd be the one I'd bring home.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest LindsaySF

We've had right around thirty hounds and I think it's an individual thing - individual to the hounds and the people.

Some hounds, esp coming off the track, seem to have a natural affinity for either men or women...sometimes I think that is dependent on their trainer at the track (either good or bad...some dogs LOVE their trainer/s, some dogs have a neutral experience with them and others will have not liked their trainer/s). Though, women generally have a softer energy and presence and are softer spoken, which I think gives them an advantage with dogs who are timid, insecure or otherwise unsure - which describes many dogs as they come off the track and assimilate into pet life.

This. :nod

I've only ever had female sighthounds and there has actually been an even balance between them gravitating towards male or female people. One hated men with beards, another was unhappy with older women, one was just the nicest dog ever to everyone, another was one of those aloof 'I'm a dog not a furbaby' creatures and didn't really take to anyone particularly well. My present one started as a spooky girl who wasn't sure that men were safe, but younger women got tail wags and everything; I guess the kennel maids were the only people who'd ever been kind to her.

So every dog is different really and much will depend upon the dynamics of your household.

I have heard from so so so many FEMALE Greyhound owners say in great great detail how their male Greyhounds just LOVE LOVE LOVE them obsessively over their husbands. Over anybody, but especially over the husbands. Many women just pour this stuff out.

That said......

Well let me tell you that my girls (and my former girls) are truly MOMMY"S girls!!! My Bella is my shadow over my husband. They love him very much, but mommy is number one. Now my former boy just loved me too, but my girls seemed to bond closer to me. And I have known Greyhound girls that just LOVE DADDYS over mommys too!!