Gender Preference From Your Hounds?

Guest NeroAmber

Guest NeroAmber

Ok, so I just read this;

A sweeping generalisation perhaps, but one that has been noticed within multiple greyhound households particularly. If the main carer is going to be a woman, it is most often the greyhound boys who form the deepest bond to her. If the main carer is a man, it tends to be the greyhound girls that form the deepest bond with him.

from here;

http://www.greyhoundlifeline.co.uk/main/boygirl.html

And it got me wondering- how true is this of your households? It rings true for us, Amber is a complete daddy's girl, and Nero is my stripey shadow. So how true if that for anyone else?

And what about any other odd observations about gender preference within the pack? For instance, for those of you with enough hounds to notice a trend- do the girls stick together and the boys stick together, do they mix evenly?

Just curious about other peoples experiences, I think it's interesting :)

I think it's more of an individual thing than a gender thing, personally. Echo(f) and Diego(m, non-grey) like to stay close to me(f) and know where I am all the time. Dazzle(m) really doesn't care either way.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I am a guy and have a male and female. Just from my experience, my male loves me and insists on snuggling as close as he can when it's bed time. HOWEVER if anyone new is over (mainly female) you can't tear him off of them. My female follows me from room to room and even checks on me when I take my shower (I have to keep the shower door cracked so she can make sure I am not drowning or sneaking out the invisible door that is in there). She will also sniff anyone new in the house then will come to me for loving...she is the outgoing/smart one too! From day 1 she has always been the "loyal one".

Now here's another curious thing. I'm a middle aged woman, and in all my years of dog loving, I've only owned one female. She lived to 14 & was a wonderful girl, and I loved her dearly, but every other dog in my life has been male. Why is that I wonder? I sometimes wonder if I'm drawn to the boys because I think they need taken care of more. Curious, no?

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest twhitehouse

We have two girls so I'm not sure we can truly test this theory. However, I am the "primary care giver", I guess, and while I know both girls love me, Lexi is usually the one glued to my side. She'll jump into bed with me if DBF gets up before me. Tess usually follows her daddy around.

Over the last, almost 13 yrs., we have had a total of 11 greys. Eight (8) girls and three (3) boys. I am the primary care giver. The girls always seem to bond with me, even when we have a foster. Wanting to be where ever I am. Even following me to the bathroom. The guys seem to bond with the wife. Our guys have always been the big mom's boys, 80+ lbs. While they enjoy the pets from me it's mom they want to be close to. As far as how they are in the pack. They all hang together, twice we have had a pack that consisted of 4 girls and one boy.

I am a single female and I have 1 male hound. He is totally my dog, but otherwise prefers men. I'm a pet sitter and I tend to bond quicker and stronger to the male dogs I watch, although there are many exceptions. I also prefer my own dogs to be male because they are mellower and bigger mommas boys.

mmmm...things seem to flip around here. when emily was alive, she was MY gal and felix was dh's dog. after she passed felix attached himself to me, even though dh was home- a displaced worker. then when annie joined the family she bonded w/ first felix then dh, big time. go know...felix is at my side, annie is usually w/ joe unless i have the treats! the dogs feel secure enough to bond with who ever has the food!stomachs seem to rule in our house :eek

Interesting. I don't think the generalization holds true - at least in our household.

Dude - male, TOTAL Daddy's boy. I mean total

Copper - male, shows no preference

Toni - female, shows no preference (except for our neighbor Herm who is her favorite person in the whole world)

Cash - female, Is my dog, but I'm the one who takes care of my spooky girl more

Both males LOVE LOVE LOVE little girls. Little boys? Meh. Though they will both readily accept pets and attention from both adult genders. Toni loves everyone, male and female, young and old. Cash doesn't even acknowledge the existence of people other than me and DH - though oddly enough, she will run to the fence when Herm walks by instead of running away. She even took a treat from him once.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well, in my lifetime, we've had exactly TWO female dogs. My mother has always been the primary care giver (old fashioned traditional household; Dad went to work and Mom took care of home and hearth!) of all creatures, great and small. I would have to say that the first female was devoted to Mom, the one they have now thinks the sun rises and sets with my father--and poor Dad is senile now, and barely notices her--and yet she keeps a sentry position by his bed night and day.

All of the other dogs thought my father was their supreme exhalted leader!

I've only had male dogs myself.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I find I have an easier time connecting to male dogs. I can't even think of any female dogs I have actually had a great friendship with.

I, however, have never had a pet dog in my life before. I am basing this on relationships with friends'/family's pets and the dogs at the shelters. I have noticed all the dogs I have connected with enough at the shelter to really want to adopt them have been male. And I give everyone a fair chance, I don't seek out males specifically.

Cats, on the other hand, I connect with both genders. It's dogs who I tend to prefer males.

Guest Jubilee251

Molly loves us both, but sometimes she can be a real daddy's girl.

Jet seems to be just a slight bit more comfortable with women (me). He's growled at Husband a few times when being petted, so clearly he was a bit more threatened and uncomfortable with that. But he has never had a problem with me staring lovingly into his face, or stroking his neck up close.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I generally would say I bond with males more, but it's really not true. Some of the tightest bonds I have had have been with female hounds (Sophia, Monet, foster Bliss, foster Echo- who was only here two weeks or something!). I prefer female Golden Retrievers, as long as they are not dog aggressive, they are a bit saner and smarter than their male counterparts.

Guest NeroAmber

Interesting answers- I never thought of it as a gender thing before, even when I read the 'do your hounds follow you everywhere' thread, I answered thinking of the individual hound, not whether they were male or female...

I agree with you, Swifthounds, There is a lot to be said for the power of suggestion from the statement, but like you said I think gender still plays a role, as DesiRayMom says; "I sometimes wonder if I'm drawn to the boys because I think they need taken care of more. Curious, no?" I think there's a lot in what you say there- probably the 'reasoning out' of why and how humans form relationships impacts more than we usually think...For instance, I said I'd never call myself 'mum' to my hounds, because I didn't birth them :lol But here I am, 6 months down the line, and I call myself their mum, and I call them both baby :blush

I'm drawn to the boys -- as big as they come -- the bigger they are the mellower and sweeter they are. I've yet to meet a 90 pound boy that wasn't a total suck up. The girls are more catlike to me -- they'll get to you in their own time for the most part.

:lol :lol just as soon as I post that here comes the girlhound and lays her head in my lap. Her ears must have been burning.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My Riley LOVED men. For the first few yrs it was just me and him, and we always had a great relationship, but when I started dating someone, a whole new part of his personality came out. His world revolved around my ex. And it wasn't just my ex, whenever my father or brother or male friends came over he would get SO excited. He just really loved men for some reason. It was adorable, though I admit to being a little bit jealous at times. :blush

My iggies (both males) both feel more comfortable around women, though they aren't too fond of anyone they don't know. It's too early to say with Legs, but so far he is happy to see everyone.

Personally, I prefer boy dogs, and have only ever had males. I'm not opposed to someday having a female, but males are so sweet and goofy, I love them :wub: :wub: :wub:

Guest PhillyPups

In my home (3 broods & 2 males) they would be SOL cause I am it. I am their all, and we are all bonded together.

I think it depends on the hounds personality. I do believe the bigger the male, the goofier, more gentle they are.

DonnieDude and Gremlin are my shadows, whereverI go, there they are. :lol

DonJuan does not like me to be out of his sight, AnnaBanana always has her eye on me and Moe prefers her cave (undersocialized, but learning the ropes) - I am working with her. Which one do I feel closest with? Depends on the moment. :P

As far as the pack dynamics, DonnieDude and AnnaBanana are very bonded, DonJuan will share a couch with anyone already up there, Moe looks to them all for companionship, Gremlin lives life on her own terms. :lol

I think trying to lump them by gender is as futile as my always getting dolls when I was younger despite my saying all I wanted was a football uniform. :rofl

Edited by PhillyPups

We currently have 4 grey girls (our 3 + a foster). DH and I share in the care.

Celeste - Very independent, but loves everyone she meets which is why she is our "official" meet-and-greet dog.

Darcy - Total mama's girl.

Bonny - Total daddy's girl.

Foster Fay - Started out as a daddy's girl (primarily cared for by a man for 7 years). Since being in our home for the past 3+ months, she's become very fond of me.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Swifthounds

I agree with you, Swifthounds, There is a lot to be said for the power of suggestion from the statement, but like you said I think gender still plays a role, as DesiRayMom says; "I sometimes wonder if I'm drawn to the boys because I think they need taken care of more. Curious, no?" I think there's a lot in what you say there- probably the 'reasoning out' of why and how humans form relationships impacts more than we usually think...For instance, I said I'd never call myself 'mum' to my hounds, because I didn't birth them :lol But here I am, 6 months down the line, and I call myself their mum, and I call them both baby :blush

:nod

Guest KennelMom

We've had right around thirty hounds and I think it's an individual thing - individual to the hounds and the people.

DH and I are pretty equal care-givers...sometimes it's 50/50 and sometimes it's more me, less him...We have had mostly girls and there are some girls that are, without question, his girls (Harmony and Diva come to mind). And there are girls that are, without a doubt, mine (Tater, Peanut, Haley, Hanna come to mind). Same for the boys. I can think of some that are/were "mine" and some that are/were glued to him. We've also had plenty of, what I call, independent contractors that loved (or disliked) everyone equally.

Some hounds, esp coming off the track, seem to have a natural affinity for either men or women...sometimes I think that is dependent on their trainer at the track (either good or bad...some dogs LOVE their trainer/s, some dogs have a neutral experience with them and others will have not liked their trainer/s). Though, women generally have a softer energy and presence and are softer spoken, which I think gives them an advantage with dogs who are timid, insecure or otherwise unsure - which describes many dogs as they come off the track and assimilate into pet life.

Edited by KennelMom

Both of mine are female, along with me too! :P I prefer female dogs. In my experience they have a few more wheels turning up above, which could make them harder to train... ;) But I love the independent. Neither of my girls are huge cuddlers but if the mood strikes they will both curl up on the bed with me.

Last night I was reading the new CG with sunshine curled up in front of me. I was using her to prob up the magazine and Rainy was laying behind me with her nose touching my back. They both just wanted to be near their momma. :)

ETA one thing I've had noticed that it takes a long time for them to accept other into "our" family circle. DBF was all excited last night because Sunshine was raising her head for him while he was petting her, but she sure still gave him the hairy eyeball when he leaned over to kiss me. :lol It's been 3 months of daily appearances with him!

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Zuni had a preference for females when she first came home. But after ~4 years with me, my male roommates, and my mostly male friends she seems to no longer have a preference. A tangent point, she loves anyone with facial hair, I think because her foster papa had a beard.

Edited by Pepperjack