Senior Kibble Suggestions

Although sweet Maggie would poop in my shoe if she heard me calling her a "senior" - she's 7 and it's a reality. She gets 3 cups of TOTW Prairie daily. I've noticed that the 2#s that she allows herself to gain as "winter weight" has crept onto her bones a bit early. Of course, the ridiculously hot weather has curbed her crazy yard racing quite a bit. And occassionally a day would be so hot, we'd skip a long walk. So exercise has not been normal. But the high protein content of TOTW is another consideration.

So - I'm thinking I want to change her kibble. I don't want her to gain another pound that could adversely affect her health down the road. But here's the catch - it has to make a really yummy gravy. :chow Maggie insists on very warm water (about 2 cups) mixed with her kibble and it needs to be so tasty it makes her purr (like TOTW does). Any ideas? Oh - and of course it needs to be a good quality food.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest Energy11

I have all seniors, ages 8-10. I mix Canidae Platinum (which is a light senior food) with Chicken Soup lite. I also add canned Chicken Soup Senior, pumpkin, green beans and/or spinach, and plain yogurt. They do very well on this!

I DO like the combination of the Canidae Platinum and Chicken Soup Lite, though. I now get both through a program called Petflow.com, which has free delivery for life if you sign up for their auto delivery plan.

Good Luck!

There's no reason to change her kibble -- just feed her a bit less of it. Some folks substitute green beans and/or spinach for the amount of kibble reduced; I generally don't -- my dogs don't seem to miss a reduction of 1/4 to 1/3 cup per feeding.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There's no reason to change her kibble -- just feed her a bit less of it. Some folks substitute green beans and/or spinach for the amount of kibble reduced; I generally don't -- my dogs don't seem to miss a reduction of 1/4 to 1/3 cup per feeding.

ditto.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

For Chloe who tends to pack the weight on because of her thryoid, I take out 1/2 cup a day so instead of the 3 cups she gets 2.5 and I substitute with cut carrots. She LOVES them and her weight is where it should be.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Carl & Claire are both 7, but I wouldn't consider changing their food because of their age. They certainly don't "seem" like seniors. If one of them looks like they are putting on weight I just cut back on their kibble for a few days.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest PhillyPups

I also use reduce by 1/4 cup theory. Having just seen Maggie last Saturday she does not look "obese" just a "little" padded. I think cutting 1/4 cup per meal should do the trick.

Maggie go poo in her shoe. :lol

ditto to what Batmom,RobinM and Holly said. :):):)

Agree.

I have never changed a dogs food because the passed some arbitrary "senior" threshold. But if you are just looking for a lower fat, less calorie food Poodle really seems to really like the Wellness Core reduced fat that I have him on and I like the ingredients way better than the Natural Balance Ultra Light I tried before (which he also liked).

I've got him on the Wellness due to diabetes and pancreatitis, but if you are just looking for a lighter food than TOTW it seems to be a good one, came highly recommended on a diabetes forum and is Poodlum approved. ;) The aforementioned green bean diet also works great.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

OK - I can cut out 1/4 - 1/3 cup a day. But no one has mentioned the issue of higher protein in TOTW. I thought I had read something about kidney issues over a long period of time. Is this truly not an issue I need to worry about? I would love to keep her on TOTW - she loves it and has nice poos.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

High protein can be an issue for dogs who already have significant kidney disfunction. It isn't an issue in healthy dogs, and it doesn't wear out the kidneys. Actually, seniors are likely to need more high quality protein than younger dogs rather than less. I wouldn't consider 7 a senior, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

They actually make dog gravy!

I think most larger pet stores carry a variety of them--or you could always MAKE some I suppose.

George is going to be 8 on Thursday. He gets a brisk 45 minute walk every morning, and he only gets 2 cups of food per day.

Oh, and Milk Bones!

Don't forget to mentally calculate how many treats you give her during the day when considering how much she eats. That's why I only feed George a cup of kibble at each meal--because he gets treats throughout the day (as rewards for various behaviors).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck