Sunscreen Man

Forevermybabies

I am so sorry. I remember when you adopted him. Was't he from Geneva Lakes? f_yellow

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. I remember when you adopted him. Was't he from Geneva Lakes? f_yellow

Yes, we got him from Geneva Lakes in Sept. 2002. He was from the Plum Creek Kennels in WI.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. :f_red:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest greytloves

Adding my condolences. Hate to hear that he is gone. :(

Are you able to tell us what happened? The last I knew was a few weeks ago he was hurting but the vet thought he was just rusty. Did I miss something? I understand if you can't really talk about it, I just really hate to hear this.

Edited by greytloves

So sorry to hear about your boy, Tami. I was wondering how he was doing.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest WarmheartedPups

Oh Tami NO !! I am so very sorry. I haven't been on this summer...up at the Lake...and I just saw this. My gosh girl...this is too much.

Sunscreen Man was the first greyhound I ever touched...at the M & G in Richfield. I remember coming in to "check out" the Greyhounds....and there you were....with all three....all laying down...sound asleep.....but Sunscreen Man stole my heart....and he kept a piece...and always will. All three of your pups were so special....Tami...let me know if there is anything I can do.

You are in my thoughts...Linda

Well, as you know, he'd been having issues with his back end. I chose not to do the testing - which the dr estimated would cost $500 just to give me an idea of what was wrong. Anyway, Grey and I were packing up to go to the library and I heard crying. I thought it was the foster, but went to check on them and they were quiet and Sunscreen wasn't with them. He was upstairs. So I ran upstairs and he'd fallen apparently in the hallway (he had a small bleeding owie on his front leg) and he couldn't get up. One of his back legs was completely not working and he was crying out in pain. The leg was cold.

I carried him downstairs (at this point, I'll interject that I was carrying him down the stairs and Grey - in response to my telling him to put the other dogs in the cage to get them out of the way had put the gate across the bottom of the stairs. Long story short, he ended up yelling at me for yelling at him to get it OUT of there and I ended up yelling at him to stop yelling at me...it was not good) - anyway, I set SM on the couch, corralled the dogs and Grey got the door for me while I carried him out to the car.

We raced to the vet - about a mile away - (I had called and they said they'd squeeze us in). Ever notice how SLOW other people drive when you're trying to go fast? There was also road construction, so we had to go about a mile out of our way. Sunscreen Man was crying out the whole time.

We got him to the vet, and they put us in a room. We had to wait what seemed like a long time before the vet was free, and Poor SM was getting up, crying, falling over, crying, getting up...trying to get away from the pain and his non-functioning leg.

Long story short she gave him morphine - nothing. She gave him tramazol - nothing. She gave us options. She thought perhaps he had spinal cancer and something had crumbled. COuld have been many things. He was also hemorraging under his skin on his legs and chest, and as he laid there, blood started coming out of his mouth.

The options all were guesses and the only thing that seemed like a good idea was to let him go.

She gave him the pink liquid and within five seconds, he was gone. He just closed his eyes and that was it. She checked his heart and he was gone. She said, "He was definitely ready to go."

You always hope they will just go quietly in their sleep. I only know of one dog for whom that was the happy end. I wished that for Sunscreen, but it was not to be. So my beautiful left us. Last on in, last one out.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

{{{{{{{{{{Tami}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.