Say Hello To Ike From Michigan

Guest duckbilled

Guest duckbilled

I have made a few posts at GT over the last year but have never gotten around to posting photos. We adopted Ike (racing name Witty Abe) on June 23, 2008 when he was 5 1/2 years old. He raced in Alabama until 2006 but no one knows where he was from 2006-2008. He is a graduate of 2nd Chance at Life (http://www.giveasecondchance.com/) and we adopted him through GreytHounds of Eastern Michigan (http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/). He has a odd notch in his tongue. We think he was sleeping in his crate at the track, his tongue slipped through the grates and the dog below bit it. It is a theory but we will never know the true story.

He is my first dog and my wife's second. She always wanted a greyhound but we originally were looking for a whippet puppy. After thinking about the time required with a puppy and the cost associated with getting one, we decided to adopt a greyhound once we found out that they really did not need a lot of space.

I never thought I could become so attached to a dog. He displays all of the qualities of a typical greyhound. He is sweet, quiet and lazy. He wakes up at noon, poops, eats and goes back to sleep. If he gets playful in the late afternoon, he will run a few laps in the yard.

The two cutest aspects to Ike are that he loves his toys and his ears are really expressive. He never destroys his toys. In fact, he still has the first toy we bought him on day one. He just sleeps with them and carries them from room to room. His ears stand up like a donkey's when he is interested in something. Sometimes he just raises one ear.

When he barks, it means three things:

1. He has to poop and you need to get off the computer in the basement to let him out.

2. He is hungry and you need to get off the computer in the basement and feed him.

3. He is tired of sitting in the basement watching you on the computer and wants to go upstairs and sit on the couch.

He loves to have the base of his tail scratched and he follows you from room to room when he is not sleeping.

Pics:

15.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by duckbilled

Hello Ike! He's adorable!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Hello Ike...I think your human dad has hidden you from us for way too long.

He is absolutely adorable and I love your description of him. I hope you will be sharing lots of Ike stories with us. :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LovesDoggies

He is beyond adorable, especially in that last photo with his stuffy! :wub: My first greyhound had a cut in her tongue. They thought it might have been from when she was a puppy, eating from the same bowl as the others.

Guest kelli123

Ike is really cute, I also am from Michigan and have adopted 4 babys from Greythounds (GEM). How cool is that? Where do you live in michigan ?

Guest JillinMichigan

Welcome to Greytalk! I love the pictures so much! I have two SCAL graduates myself, Birch & Elysia. I wanted you to know that earlier this year, I fostered Ike's half-brother from another father, Bohemian Pilfer, who we renamed Snoopy. The retired guy from Allen Park who adopted him kept his name as Snoopy. You can see Snoopy's picture on the link in my signature. I have to go back and relearn how to post pictures - lol!

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and Welcome from Philly :wave

Looking forward to more pictures of handsome Ike. :beatheart

I read he put you under the magical mystical spell of the greyhound - your life as you knew it will never be the same. :lol

Guest Bean_Scotch

Welcome to GreyTalk! I volunteer for Allies for Greyhounds of West Michigan and we adopted out Witty Andrew. He too was a graduate of the SCAL Prison Program.

Hi :welcome also from Michigan from Doc & Rainy !! :ghplaybow:gh_bow We are up in Gladwin County - where are you? Nice to meet you & Ike! We like IKE :nod

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

1.jpg

:beatheart Ike :beatheart

What a gorgeous boy you are!! And a total sweetheart, too! Your parents hit the jackpot with you, and sounds like you hit the jackpot with them, too! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Oh my, he is so handsome. You are all very lucky indeed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest duckbilled

Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome.

I think the SCAL program did a lot for him along with his month in a foster home. We have had very few problems with him. From day one, he was housebroken and able to do stairs. He doesn't counter surf or jump on guests. Of course, if you leave a sandwich unattended on the coffee table, it is history. Nonetheless, he is very well mannered except for the fact that he greets humans the same way he greets other dogs, if you know what I mean. Oh, and his gas can peel the paint off the walls.

We do want another hound in the future but we need to get a bigger couch first. We will move the old one in to the basement so he will always have a place to sit. He actually has a nice place already - a large overstuffed chair with an ottoman but it must not be up to his standards.

We are from Oak Park just outside of Detroit in Oakland County. I wish GEM did more events in our area but they seem to be more active in Wayne and Washtenaw. I also wish they were more involved with local vets. The closest one they recommend is about 1/2 hour away. I called REGAP for recommendations but they didn't return my call. Oddly, he hates riding in the car so we really want one that is within 10 mins from our house. We have a decent vet with great hours but I constantly have to remind them that greys are not the same as other dogs.

It is nice to see that some here have met his relatives. Snoopy looks just like Ike. It seems like Jimbo Scotty has some dominant cow dog genes? He actually has a litter mate named Witty Ike. We didn't know that when we adopted him. I think his new name annoyed him at first. He must have been thinking, I'm Abe, not Ike - that's my idiot brother."

I would love to know where he was between 2006 and 2008. GH Data says he was retired to his forever home by the Mobile Greyhound Adoption Center so my guess is he was adopted and returned for some reason - his gas was probably the culprit.

Thanks again. We have a lot more pictures. These were just a few of our favorites.