6000 Platelet Count

Guest susan4665

Guest azlorenz

I am happy to report that Zoey is doing much better. She was immediately put on doxyclycline due to thrombocytopenia which the vet said she probably had going on. Zoey is eating great, no more reverse sneezing and red spots are gone! Her energy is up greatly but I'm being cautious. Her gum line is severely red so I'm still worried about that but that is also what prompted me to take her to the vet to begin with. I am fully aware that she has gum disease.

I appreciate everyone's concern as I care deeply for my grey as she's with me most of everyday with me working from home. I live in Phx and got Zoey from the Phx Greyhound Park about 4 years ago.

I'm a facts person and I do trust my vet. I have used him for years and stated either the meds will work or more testing would need to be done to determine she has something more serious which could cost me a small fortune. With Zoey's age and gum problems and unfortunately the economy, I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars. I've been around dogs all my life with my parents owning a small shelter so I have a good idea of what it might take to keep a dog alive. My biggest issue is not to let a dog suffer for a moment as I've seen this happen way too much in my life. If Zoey started to develop more spots I would've made a difficult decision this weekend but for now she's almost back to her normal self. I will see the vet this week for a follow up and do more blood work and proceed from there.

Thank you for your caring and understanding.

Thank goodness she is feeling better. If there is anything I can do, even if just be an ear to bend, let me know. I'm in Mesa and currently a member of the Osteosarcoma club we have going here.

Edited by azlorenz

Guest susan4665

I'm sad to report that Zoey did not make it. She felt better but then started to limp 2 days ago, seizure and vomit. This morning she wouldn't leave my side and kept placing her head in my lap as if to tell me something. I could see she was so uncomfortable so I let her go peacefully today.

I did end up taking her to another vet a greyhound friend recommended for a 2nd opinion and he said that the reason she was limping was her right rear paw was starting swell from blood and that she was at the end. I'm so sad right now I can barely stand it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

flowers_red.gifrungrey.gifflowers_red.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead