6000 Platelet Count

Guest susan4665

Guest susan4665

Zoey is 8 and just started reverse sneezing the other day and stopped eating then lost 80% of her energy. I took her to the vet to discuss this and teeth and her gums were bleeding. Blood work was done and platelet count was 6000 so no dental work will be performed. She is now on an antibiotic but the vet didn't really what was wrong just that we might want to do a bone marrow biopsy. The vet originally offered me the annual wellness plan for Zoey but then said I should do the annual plan as he wasn't sure if she would make it. She did eat last night... but we are very upset. I would rather the vet say she is dying then beat around the bush. Anyone else have such low platelet count and the dog responded? Or is it probably cancer? I just want the facts. FYI - tick tests were done and no other problems arose other than low platelet count.

Guest eaglflyt

Does she have fever? Has she been tested for tick borne diseases, including babesiosis (not included in common tick testing at vet's offices)? I think she may need IV platelets. She will need further testing to determine the exact cause. I wouldn't give up just yet if it were me. Hugs to all of you and your pup!

Guest susan4665

It was 6,000 not 60,000 as I saw the blood work report myself. They tested for ticks and no tick problem and NO fever. Red spots are starting to appear on chest, in ears, etc.

Guest kydie

I'm sure she had a complete CBC and diff,,, 6000 would think the vet did more labs, :unsure

what was the WBC that he put her on antibiotics,,, WBC please! :unsure

Edited by kydie

Guest kydie

I would guess the red spots appearing may be a clotting issue :blink: You know a platelet transfusion can be given :unsure

Edited by kydie

Guest susan4665

She spent the entire day at the vet yesterday and was sent home with antibiotics. The vet said without a bone marrow biopsy there wasn't more they could do for her. I'm hoping the antibiotics work or I will need to make a hard decision. :(

WBC was in normal range. Everything was fine but the platelet count.

Guest kydie

O.K. :blink: general labs are far less expensive than a bone marrow biopsy, think if it were me I would want some general labs first,,, Just me here :huh

You need to find a new vet. This is truly a crisis. The red spots you are seeing is called petechiae--she can no longer clot--in esseance she's bruising. The e-vet will most likely give her a high dose of a corticosteroid (dex sp). I can't stress to you enough that her condition right now is life threating. There IS treatment but, you need to get her over this crisis first.

Wanted to add that this might be immune mediated thrombocytopenia--it IS treatable

Edited by tbhounds

Guest kydie

I vote with tbhounds,,, was not brave enough to post it myself,,, SEE A DIFFERENT VET NOW, you don't want her to bleed to death in front of your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everyone who said e-vet now!

Not all Tick Born Diseases show up in the regular work ups. There are so many variants that sometimes treating a dog that is showing symptoms is the best course of action.

I would ask the vet to contact the OSU Greyhound Wellness Program for help too. Dr Couto is a hematologist as well as an oncologist.

To contact OSU:

greys@osu.edu

couto.1@osu.edu

The phone numbers for the GHWP are: (614) 247-6757 (614) 247-6757 (614) 247-8490 (614) 247-8490 They sometimes get very busy. If the situation is critical send an email but follow-up with a phone call and/or a phone call from your vet.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I checked, and the OP hasn't been on since 2:30, I took a rare action for me and emailed her. I asked her to read the posts and then go go an e-vet. Praying that Zoey will be okay.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChasesMum

oh lord! this is not good, not good at all. I hope you have taken her into the emerg vet. she will not make it if something isnt done.

lots of healing thoughts for Zoey! I hope to hear an update today! :o

it's times like this I think we should be paired up with a buddy to trade phone numbers with. I do so hope the OP has been able to see these messages and have her Zoey admitted to the eVet. Mostly posting just to keep the topic on top so it's easy to find for updates <insert worried emoticon here>

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

If anyone hears back, might ask where OP is located.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She sent me an email. Her vet has Zoey on antibiotics after being at the vet all day yesterday. She knows the spots and low platelet count are indeed life threatening but the vet said there isn't more to do if the antibiotics don't work. The vet suspects cancer. I did ask what antibiotics and for what reason. She also said that Zoey is eating again, so fingers crossed and prayers sent.

I reassured her that we are only concerned and are here to offer advice, not criticize. I did tell her that the GHWP is a free service at the cost of a phone call. They can offer another view point, or reassure her that the course of treatment her vet has chosen for Zoey is the right one.

Keeping Zoey in my prayers.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Simple cheap pred could save this dogs life! She needs another opinon asap! I understand that she wants to trust her vet but how in the world did he diagnose cancer via a low platelet count? If her retic count is normal than her bone marrow is making cells. Did the CBC show unclassified cells? Please urge her to seek help. Not trying to bully the OP but, I have been down this road with own girl- I know what I'm talking about. The OP should not take the opinon of one vet and throw in the towel so to speak.

Get her on DOXY now!!! Daisy had the same symptoms 4 years ago. It was immune mediated thrombocytopenia. Doxyclycline saved her life. She is bleeding through the skin basically..PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go to a different vet. Daisy is living a completely normal life now. Dr. Couto was involved with Daisy's vet in Wisconsin and all she needed was high doses of Doxy. Please keep us posted..

Susan, I hope Zoey is feeling better. Please understand that everyone here is trying to insure that Zoey gets a proper diagnosis. So many of us have lost dogs or have almost lost dogs to faulty diagnosis, that we would rather be safe than sorry. If you have an E-vet close by, print out this thread and take it with you. It's upsetting enough to have a sick dog let alone trying to remember all the correct questions to ask. Sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest susan4665

I am happy to report that Zoey is doing much better. She was immediately put on doxyclycline due to thrombocytopenia which the vet said she probably had going on. Zoey is eating great, no more reverse sneezing and red spots are gone! Her energy is up greatly but I'm being cautious. Her gum line is severely red so I'm still worried about that but that is also what prompted me to take her to the vet to begin with. I am fully aware that she has gum disease.

I appreciate everyone's concern as I care deeply for my grey as she's with me most of everyday with me working from home. I live in Phx and got Zoey from the Phx Greyhound Park about 4 years ago.

I'm a facts person and I do trust my vet. I have used him for years and stated either the meds will work or more testing would need to be done to determine she has something more serious which could cost me a small fortune. With Zoey's age and gum problems and unfortunately the economy, I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars. I've been around dogs all my life with my parents owning a small shelter so I have a good idea of what it might take to keep a dog alive. My biggest issue is not to let a dog suffer for a moment as I've seen this happen way too much in my life. If Zoey started to develop more spots I would've made a difficult decision this weekend but for now she's almost back to her normal self. I will see the vet this week for a follow up and do more blood work and proceed from there.

Thank you for your caring and understanding.