Where Do You Feed Raw?

I started feeding Sparks chicken quarters 3 days ago. I put a towel down on his dog bed and he's been good about eating it there. He did want to eat in the bedroom the 2nd day but I had seen him walking around with it in his mouth so put him back in the living room.

Where do you feed your pups?

I don't care that it's messy but it is kinda gross (the blood) that is all over the towel :lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Tokolos

I feed Sprinkles out on the back porch or in the yard. Please note that this is great now, but I have no idea what my plan will be when the weather gets really cold and snowy.

At first I did it in my tiny yard, but that was a pain (we don't use it regularly, no easy access), and no good in the winter. Now I do it in Beth's crate, with a large towel spread over the business end of things.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Lovey_Hounds

we we feed in the kitchen, they are good at not going anywhere with thier food because they think one of the other dogs will take whats left in the bowl.

Ollie is the only one of my 5 on a totally raw duck and beef diet. He eats at his bowl in the kitchen.

DSC_3055.jpg

DSC_3054.jpg

DSC_3052.jpg

He is such a good boy!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We feed in their crates - this is easy to do since I only have two dogs. Actually that's the only thing we use the crates for anymore, but it's just so easy. I can give them their food, close the doors, and go wash my hands and stuff. They're within earshot in case there are any issues (crates are in the spare bedroom) but not eating each other's food. My mixed breed would steal the grey's food given the chance and he would totally let her! ;)

At first I cleaned their crates with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution (didn't want them eating soap detergent with their next meal) but my mixed breed is very meticulous about licking every drop after they eat, in both crates, so I just let her do that now and only clean them once in a while.

Guest greyhound9797

I feed Piper outside but I live in Florida so I am able to do it year round. If your situation is different, you can feed in the garage, in a crate, in the kitchen (or anywhere you have tile or linoleum floors) and put down either a towel or a vinyl shower curtain or place mat. Some dogs like to carry their food to another place but with a bit of time and patience, you can train them to stay in one spot.

Sandra in FL

Giving your hounds frozen or partially frozen raw food will cut down on some of the mess. However, some hounds are sensitive to cold foods; mine are not. They do tend to transport the food items, and, while I'm sure I can train them not to, it's not a big deal with me.

We are now living in a teeny tiny studio apt so the girls are eating in a little cove/room place right off the kitchen. I baby gate them in and run the ccarpet steam cleaner everyone now and then. I live by myself have have a healthy immune system so I'm not stressing about the germs.

------

Jessica

I live in Maryland and have all kinds of weather. Anyway, 95% of the time, I feed them outside on the patio, with their bowls about 6 feet apart from each other. I do supervise. Dante savors his food and takes forever to eat. Depending on what they are having, they stay with their bowls, or if it is a particularly boney meal - pork necks, which they love - they will carry it to different places in the yard to lie down and gnaw.

At those mealtimes where eating outside isn't doable - rain, high winds or just way to cold (they do eat outside most meals in the winter, too, with the exception of last winter), I place towels in various areas in the house and they eat on those. They do stay in one place for that. I trained them to stay there. Food trumps not as nice weather, so they don't have an issue with it, unless it is really raining.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I bring up their "turkey neck" (really raw food blankets) and amid their enthusiastic bouncing and helping, Joshy's goes in the den over his bed. Jilly's goes in the living room. They stay on their blankets and then up go the blankets.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Monty eats his out on the back cement slab, on leash (we have no fenced in yard). That's his summertime location. If it is raining, storming, or miserable cold (or too much snow for us to clear from the slab) he gets fed in the kitchen on the linoleum floor. Much easier to clean up linoleum with a spray bottle with vinegar than constantly be washing towels! He never lies down, and since I run interference between him and the other pets (who all clamor for his goodies) he doesn't feel the need to wander off with it.

ETA:

Since you're local, have you gone to the website Raws for Paws? They have really good deals on huge amounts of food. We've gotten turkey necks, chicken necks (for the cats) and the chicken giblets. If you can manage to get there for the pickups on Wednesday afternoons, it is sooo much cheaper than buying from grocers! Of course, you also need a big freezer or to share the load with someone with a big freezer. [Yep, I'm one of those crazies that got a freezer specifically for the dogs! Of course, that also meant we could buy 1/4 organic grass-fed steer and store it for ourselves, so we all win there!]

Edited by Fruitycake

Monty eats his out on the back cement slab, on leash (we have no fenced in yard). That's his summertime location. If it is raining, storming, or miserable cold (or too much snow for us to clear from the slab) he gets fed in the kitchen on the linoleum floor. Much easier to clean up linoleum with a spray bottle with vinegar than constantly be washing towels! He never lies down, and since I run interference between him and the other pets (who all clamor for his goodies) he doesn't feel the need to wander off with it.

ETA:

Since you're local, have you gone to the website Raws for Paws? They have really good deals on huge amounts of food. We've gotten turkey necks, chicken necks (for the cats) and the chicken giblets. If you can manage to get there for the pickups on Wednesday afternoons, it is sooo much cheaper than buying from grocers! Of course, you also need a big freezer or to share the load with someone with a big freezer. [Yep, I'm one of those crazies that got a freezer specifically for the dogs! Of course, that also meant we could buy 1/4 organic grass-fed steer and store it for ourselves, so we all win there!]

Yes, I am going to order from them next. I needed to make sure Sparks would eat raw before I invested in 40 lbs :lol

And I have 3 fridge freezers and 1 chest freezer :huh

:rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, I feed the pups their chicken quarters outside even in the winter unless it is way too cold then it is in the kitchen. They get a boneless meal of meat in the morning in their bowls in the kitchen. Sometimes in the summer, the wasps can get bad so they may get fed chicken quarters inside in the summer but not often.

I wish I was close to a place like Raws for Paws. I order cases of beef & pork heart from a Meat store here but the last time he got small cases (10 and 23 lbs vs 50 & 60 lbs). I also get some venison from friends when they clean out their freezers in the fall.

ETA: I have 2 upright freezers and a small refrigerator for the dogs!

Edited by DragonLady

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Guest Swifthounds

I generally feed outdoors, except when traveling and staying in hotels. We do sometimes feed the IGs in their crates or in one of the greyhound sized crates for convenience. When they've had to be fed indoors(random lightening storms, etc.), I usually split them between the kitchen and their room and feed on towels. They do stay on their allotted towels or spots in the yard and they know better than to steal from one another, lest that end their meal for the evening.

I too put an old towel on the crate pad and feed them in their crates, I feed it frozen though, less messy. I used to let Spud eat out in the yard, but he would go in the grass that has been covered with wheat straw and swallow some of the straw, hacking it up later.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I was worried about feeding the chicken quarters frozen. They won't hurt their teeth on the frozen bones?

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I was worried about feeding the chicken quarters frozen. They won't hurt their teeth on the frozen bones?

No, and am always amazed how fast they can eat them, frozen and all.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Good to know since I wasn't sure I'd be able to thaw out meat every day (bad memory on my part and I know I'll forget to pull it out of the freezer)

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest memadeit

Towels on the kitchen floor - they each have their own "area" :)

same here. my o ne grey refuses to eat without his towel on the floor for him to stand on.

Guest WhiteWave

Inside in the kitchen and mop afterwards or outside depending on the weather. We've had a lot of rain lately so of course that means inside!

But food doesn't last long. I tried to take some pics and they all turned out blurry b/c my Gatorhound moves too fast!

Chicken neck

Chickenneck.jpg

Coming for the chicken

Givemechicken.jpg

Chicken quarter

Flyingchicken.jpg

As you can tell, it doesn't get a chance to hit the ground! :)

Guest FullMetalFrank

They have a large supply of old towels, and we feed Frank and Chelsa on their towels in the living room. They are very good about keeping the food on the towels. We also feed partially frozen, and in the summer they love the nice, cool, "chicken pops!" Our new girl, Miss RubyJewels, gets hers in the gameroom also on a towel, and amazingly she just seemed to know that the food stays on the towels; she's a hoot to watch as she carefully puts it back on the towel if she pushes it off the edge. Once my game room remodel is done (soon, yeah!!!) I will set it up for feeding all of them in there.