Newly Diagnosed With Os, And Very Red Leg

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

I'm wondering if any of you have seen this in OS dogs. My sister's grey Zoe was diagnosed on Monday with OS in her R rear leg. Today Susan emailed me this pic and asked if Matty had this happen after she was diagnosed with osteo - she did not.

She emailed this pic to her PT vet back in MD (she's visiting our folks in RI right now) and her PT vet didn't think this looked typical of OS, but more like a mast cell. Susan has also emailed the xrays and this pic to Dr. Couto. Has anyone seen this in their OS hounds? It's slightly swollen but Zoe's foot isn't swollen at all.

Thank you. I'm so sad for them :(

Zoeleg.jpg

It didn't happen to either of mine--both left rear, one femur, other tibia. :dunno

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest MnMDogs

Did her vet say it was osteo or a bone tumor? Wonder if it's hemangiosarcoma rather than OS? Please keep us posted to what Dr Couto's thoughts are. Sorry this is happening.

I'm a little confused about what actually happened now. She had to take her to an eVet in RI, and I'm pretty sure she said that the vet said osteo. Although, now that you mention it, I wonder if she was told tumor. We're so hypersensitive to OS, that that was my first thought and I know that she was pretty overwhelmed when she got the news. But I do think she said the vet told her OS...I'll ask her tomorrow.

Guest MnMDogs

I didn't even think of the fracture possibility :( If that were the case, wouldn't there be more swelling? She also mentioned that she thought it was related to her being hot, so I thought maybe it was coming and going. I need to get more details I guess!

I did have a deerhound with Osteo, and around the joint (rear ankle) it was quite red and hot, but not as widespread as your photo. I think it's somewhat normal for increased blood flow around disease or injury, it's the body's way of responding. However, Gary also turns very red on his hind legs when he's hot...and it goes away when he's cooled down...it looks very similar to this.

Let us know when you find out!

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

Guest azlorenz

I didn't even think of the fracture possibility :( If that were the case, wouldn't there be more swelling? She also mentioned that she thought it was related to her being hot, so I thought maybe it was coming and going. I need to get more details I guess!

This looks similar to Flash's leg around his Osteo diagnosis (7/14/2010). He had a fracture.

Edited by azlorenz

Guest DoofBert

My Sir D was diagnosed with chrondosarcoma back in 2007. His leg looked very similar. We initially thought he had osteo but further tests revealed the cancer was in the joint AND the bone.

Hugs,

Jayne

I am sorry to hear about Zoe. Charlie did not have a red leg when he was diagnosed but like others say, perhaps it's a fracture?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest ChasesMum

my Chase had a red leg that started swelling, it continued to get worse over the next week, and though she was cleared for osteo, she does have lymphoma.

so sorry to hear about your sis' dog.

On occasion Sutra's shoulder is a bit reddish like that, right where the tumor is. It doesn't usually spread down his leg like that though.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--