My Joe Is Limping

I hope and pray it is nothing and that I am just being a very worried Mom. I have seen so many dogs come through OSU so you know what my mind immediately jumps to.

Joe came in from outside last Friday. He had scraped a 1/4 inch by 4 inch area on the back of his left front leg; from the paw to the pad at the wrist. Now Joe is a very accident prone boy. I am always doctoring one scrape or another. I noticed him limping but I assumed it was related to this latest scrape. Over the past week though, I realized that he was favoring the other front leg. Thinking back, It occured to me that he hasn't been his normal goofy, playful self for a few months. He is normally a very laid-back guy, so he always had just about 2 minutes of play in him every few days. I just assumed the heat of summer was getting to him. I also noticed him panting a bit more but it has been an unusually hot summer.

But this past week I started to put all these things together, along with him turning 7 in March. And I started to get very scared. I got an appointment for x-rays on Monday and will take them to OSU Monday afternoon if they are complete before the greyhound team leaves. I should have an answer by Tuesday.

At our annual greyhound picnic on June 12, he was fine and enjoyed running with everyone. He probably tweaked his right leg when he scraped his left leg last Friday. Because I am so involved with OSU, I am just overly obsessed with the thought that my own grey will come down with osteo. Right? Tell me I am right. Please!

Very worried Mom,

Jane

Guest bigorangedog

Take the xrays to ease your mind, but we are all hoping for a slight sprain, a pulled muscle, or some other temporary thing. I know just how you feel - I overanalyze everything mine do now after losing so many to osteo. Chances are still good that it's a injury. Thinking good thoughts here!!!

The x-rays will definitely ease your mind. Zeke is our "corn-dog" and has them on of his back feet at varying times. He seems to injure the opposite foot/leg when trying to favor the foot that hurts so we end up treating him for sprains, leg pulls, foot scrapes on his good back leg. Hopefully Joe will only have a sprain or muscle pull.

With all the news on osteo I think we are all quite frightened by any signs of limping. Its a natural reaction. Please keep us posted.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am so glad I'm not paranoid about OS (no offense intended to anyone who is!) because I would be a basket case with Greta if I were! I'm here to tell you, there are many more likely causes. Greta has a "bad shoulder" from racing, a misaligned lumbar vertebra, a worn-out knee, and is constantly pulling or straining one thing or another (her groin, for instance!) because she has no idea that she is almost 10 and her body just can't handle the fast maneuvers anymore.

Jane,

Hope it's nothing for Joe and that the x-rays show that. Unfortunately as you say, you have a lot of exposure to all the pups going to OSU and one's mind immediately turns to the worst. We'll be thinking of Joe and you with fingers and paws crossed!

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It really sounds more like what you were thinking the first place - heat and maybe he tweaked it in the yard. But, I understand you getting the x-rays to be safe - no harm in checking. Just don't give yourself a heart attack b/w now and Tuesday. ;) Sending some good thoughts Joe's way until then. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you everybody for helping me to not panic. It is so great that I can express my concern here and no-one says "Are you crazy!".

I am also blessed by having Dr. Couto so near.

We are going to have a quiet day cuddling in front of the TV. It is hot and rainy here, so no one really wants to go outside.

Thanks again.

Jane

I am so glad I'm not paranoid about OS (no offense intended to anyone who is!) because I would be a basket case with Greta if I were! I'm here to tell you, there are many more likely causes. Greta has a "bad shoulder" from racing, a misaligned lumbar vertebra, a worn-out knee, and is constantly pulling or straining one thing or another (her groin, for instance!) because she has no idea that she is almost 10 and her body just can't handle the fast maneuvers anymore.

No offense taken. I fully recognize that I am paranoid about osteo. With how involved I am with OSU and the pups who have to come there, it would be strange to me if I wasn't paranoid. That being said and even knowing I am paranoid, I still just have to get those x-rays.

Jane

Hang in there, and know we are with you. :grouphug

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.