Beware Of Current Rabies Vaccine...

Something fishy appears to be going on with recent rabies vaccine. I have observed an unusually large number of dogs have had adverse reactions-including my Minny. I alerted my sister-her dog is due- and she discussed it with her vet in MD. The vet told her that Fort Dodge had put "something new"huh2.gif in their vaccine and that they had quit using it as it was making too many dogs sick. Now when I reported Minny's adverse reaction I discovered that Fort Dodge had been purchased by Pfitzer? Well it was a Pfitzer vaccine that Minny reacted so violently too. That's all I know.wacko.gif But where there is smoke there is fire so its probably a good idea to discuss EXACTLY what vaccine your dog will be getting and its recent history with your vet if you're due a vaccination. There has to be a reason for such a noticable increase in adverse reactions. I admit I don't trust them and suspect something is rotten in Denmark. dunno.gif Only recently a west nile vaccine for horses had to be recalled because it was killing horses! On a related topic Whole Dog Journal is supposed to have a good article this month on the over vaccination issue. Oh and be sure and wait a little while before you leave after their vaccination so that they will be able to get the required emergency treatment if they have a reaction to it.smile.gif

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up. Wendy is going for her vaccinations, fecal and annual check-up next week.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

What types of adverse reactions do you see?

I am curious, because my current foster came to our group as a well-adjusted, happy dog; but when he came back to the kennel after his vetting (neuter, dental, & vaccinations including Pfizer rabies), he was a fearful, submissive dog (didn’t want to leave his crate, submissive peeing, etc.). I found a few references to this sort of reaction to rabies vaccines, but not much detail.

I’m assuming you are referring more to more critical medical complications, but I wondered whether the vaccine could possibly explain my foster’s situation, too.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest gurehaundo

My brother's French Bulldog just had a bad reaction to the Rabies vaccine. I'll have to ask him again what her reaction was. Hmm... Interesting.

Guest zoolaine

My older dogs are scheduled to have their 3 year rabies vaccine in a couple of weeks. I have already decided not to give them the DHPP vaccine due to worry over over vaccinating and bad reactions.

Guest Swifthounds

All vaccine makers have "hot batches" but Ft. Dodge seems to have had more than their fair share. Many vets in my area won't use the Ft. Dodge rabies vaccines anymore.

What types of adverse reactions do you see?

I am curious, because my current foster came to our group as a well-adjusted, happy dog; but when he came back to the kennel after his vetting (neuter, dental, & vaccinations including Pfizer rabies), he was a fearful, submissive dog (didn't want to leave his crate, submissive peeing, etc.). I found a few references to this sort of reaction to rabies vaccines, but not much detail.

I'm assuming you are referring more to more critical medical complications, but I wondered whether the vaccine could possibly explain my foster's situation, too.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/256854-allergic-rxn-to-rabies-shot/page__p__4588539&?do=findComment&comment=4588539

This is what happenned to Minny. His was the sudden allergic reaction. He began to be paralyzed on the side the shot was on and started going down. I have heard of reaction(s) like you describe with your foster. So sad. Maybe with time his body will overcome it and he can get happy again. What is sad also is that so often any relevant info is attempted to be hid by the parties involved to protect financial interests and the poor trusting dogs pay for it. I am praying that Minny doesn't suffer any lasting effects but I have observed new neurological tick that I believe is a result of the shot. He won't ever get another rabies shot. Just hope he recovers fully from this last one.

OMG. How frightening. I think Sagan is due to get another rabies shot this Fall, so thanks so much for the head's up, I''ll talk to my vet.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest hollypriestley

a friend recommened finding a holostic vet that may be able to help .... we had a GH years ago that had a horrible reaction and after 3 days in emergency care we were ready to agree to have him put down -- before putting him down again I suggested a reaction to his yearly vaccination so we tried a shot of cortisone and it saved his life

• 3 weeks later...

Maverick has to get a rabies shot tomorrow morning. I called the vet and they use the Pfizer vaccine. I thought Ft. Dodge was the one with problems, but now I am confused. Should I worry about this? Thanks.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

We haven't had any problems here. I haven't found any indication of problems searching FDA.gov, etc. Fort Dodge did recall some serial numbers of a rabies vaccine several years ago, but that was related to efficacy, not adverse reactions.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I request Merial vaccines for rabies. They have been in production for over 20 years and have a good safety record.

Especially important for cats. Merial's Purevax is the only non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine. Rabies vax is known to cause fibro sarcoma in cats.