Sterling

This past week Sterling has been a little weird on walks. He'll walk along nicely then just stop. I have to coax him to walk again, he'll take a few steps and then stop again.

Yesterday morning we were at the park we go to (off leash) and he was walking alittle slowly then stops, his back legs start trembling then he plops down. i got him up a minute or so later and he walked a few steps then stopped. I did coax him to the water (thinking overheating) and he gingerly went in but only ankle deep. He usually runs in and goes up to his belly - he loves the beach.

After a few minutes he came out - walking slowly - and his legs started trembling again and he plopped down on the sand. Now, I'm worried because this is not him.

I managed to get him to the car- walking with frequent stops. He did not want water or his treats.

I called the vet and said what had happened and brought him in. She took blood for various tests, his heart rate is good, blood sugar is normal, x-rays show organs are all normal - no enlargements, bones are excellent. She thinks maybe it was seizures (which can take various forms) but we need the results of the other tests.

She wants me to get a baseline pulse today and if it happens again to take his pulse then. Also to bring in a urine sample.

So, we can use some good thoughts. Also - Has anyone every heard of something like this? Could use some advice. Thanks

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Many many good thoughts for our friend. There are so many different types/forms of seizures it's difficult.

If I ever needed advice on seizures, I would go to Judy(JillysFullHouse)

What you're describing is what happened to my Gambler, but for him, it was a mini stroke(TIA) He had a few episodes.

Please, keep us posted and know that the PR will watch over wink.gif

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It doesn't sound like seizures. It sounds like he's weak and just too tired to walk. I would be thinking anemia or something along those lines. I assume you don't have the blood work back yet. If it comes back normal then I might look into seizures but right now it really sounds like something else is going on.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

It doesn't sound like seizures. It sounds like he's weak and just too tired to walk. I would be thinking anemia or something along those lines. I assume you don't have the blood work back yet. If it comes back normal then I might look into seizures but right now it really sounds like something else is going on.

I, too, agree, it doesn't sound like seizures. I agree with Judy on generilized weakness. I'd keep him quiet, and cool, and let him rest until the blood work comes back, and go from there. Anemia could not only cause weakness, but a fast, irregular pulse as well.

Also, how are the color of his gums? They should be pink and moist.

Sending prayers and hugs your way!

One of the tests we are waiting on is his red blood count.

I, too, agree, it doesn't sound like seizures. I agree with Judy on generilized weakness. I'd keep him quiet, and cool, and let him rest until the blood work comes back, and go from there. Anemia could not only cause weakness, but a fast, irregular pulse as well.

His gums are normal and he has "good capillary function" ( meaning when you press on them it goes white then back to pink.

Thank you for all the good thoughts. He's been good today.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Energy11

One of the tests we are waiting on is his red blood count.

His gums are normal and he has "good capillary function" ( meaning when you press on them it goes white then back to pink.

Thank you for all the good thoughts. He's been good today.

GOOD news on the pink, moist gums and normal cap refill. Hoping for good news on the blood work!

I agree with the others - doesn't sound like a seizure to me. However, I don't have ny suggestions about what it could be - stroke perhaps??

Sending lots of good thoughts and Power Ranger Hi Beemz to Sterling!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest snakes

My gut instinct it to agree with the others, however before FedX has his seizures when we are out walking he generally walks very slow and at some point he will just stop. His back legs will just not move, sometimes i can rub the rear end of his spine and he will walk a few feet more, sometimes we will do this 3-4 times in the span of 50ft. Sometimes he then recovers and nothing else happens, sometimes he then eventually stops and it progresses into his seizures which add in a craned neck, closed mouth (no panting), and trembling in the front upper elg muscles and his back legs droop down. Sometimes the back legs droop so he is sitting, he often is wobbly and has to either be supported or lean against me. This uslaly lasts about 2-3minutes and then he starts walking gingerly and soona fter walks around like nothing has happened, he is also fully aware the entire time and will repond if you move or say his name.

Good luck with your pup!

How's Sterling this morning?

He seems better but did 1 "slow down" on walks this AM. Didn't eat much for breakfast. Took a urine sample to the vet for testing. Now we wait till results are back.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

How's Sterling this morning?

He seems better but did 1 "slow down" on walks this AM. Didn't eat much for breakfast. Took a urine sample to the vet for testing. Now we wait till results are back.

Please keep us posted and tell him all the PR's are on high beams!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

The symptoms you describe don't just scream "seizure" to me, but your vet is very correct in saying that seizures can take all sorts of different forms. Some types of seizure are very subtle and not at all like the tonic clonic seizures most of us think of.

Is is possible that the heat is bothering Sterling? Piper really tires easily in the heat and humidity of summer and will just creep along toward the end of our walks--so much so that I generally don't take him on walks in really hot weather.

Sending both you and Sterling good thoughts.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh, how did I miss this? I saw something in the BDR, but didn't know what was wrong.

It's so upsetting when you don't know what you're dealing with. Impossible not to worry. I hope you get some positive answers, and that Sterling is feeling better. He's got all that lovely water to enjoy!

High beams on!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sterling blood tests came back - all is normal. Should get the urinalysis back today. That's good but doesn't explain what happened. I'll be talking to my vet later today.

Today he seems his old self.colgate.gif Appetite is good, walk was good, playing with his stuffies, etc.

Thank you again for all the good thoughts.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Sterling's urinalysis came back normal. He has been his regular old self the past 2 days so we will take a wait and watch atitude with him. My vet said she is going to do research - contact OSU and see if anything turns up.

It is a puzzle!

Thanks again for the support and good wishes.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Let's just hope it's never to be seen again. We need our PR healthy and strong smile.gif

And riding waves at the beach of course lol.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg