A Couple Of Puppy Questions

Guest Tenderhearts

Guest Tenderhearts

Okay, it's been over 12 years since I had a very young puppy. Shiloh was given to me at 6 weeks of age, and she's 12 1/2 now, so I'm pretty rusty.

First of all, I've been feeding Ku'a 3 times a day, whereas the adult dogs get fed twice a day. She gets the third meal late evening. She is 10 weeks old now (born March 15th). How long should I continue to feed her 3 times a day?

Now on to the housebreaking issues. :blink:

She is crated at night beside the bed and will sleep anywhere from 6-8 hours before she lets me know she has to go outside.

During the day, it's been a battle to keep her from pottying indoors. The mother dogs and pups were put outside in a pen 24/7 once the pups were about 3 weeks old, so it seems she thinks she can wet where ever, whenever. :(

Amber's two dogs come over during the day, and now Miss Dot has started wetting in the house, and I take all the dogs out at least every hour. Amber says there are no accidents at home with Miss Dot.

I try to watch Ku'a if she's not napping just to catch her if it looks like she's going to wet on the floor, but I'm not always successful. I know as soon as she wakes up from a nap, I'd better get her outside right then and there!

I have school work to do, and I can't watch her every single moment of the day.

As I said, it's not from lack of going outside. I think every hour is sufficient for the entire crew. :rolleyes:

Any suggestion or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated before I lose what little mind I have left! :lol

Guest Swifthounds

First of all, I've been feeding Ku'a 3 times a day, whereas the adult dogs get fed twice a day. She gets the third meal late evening. She is 10 weeks old now (born March 15th). How long should I continue to feed her 3 times a day?

Unless she's a larger breed pup (and therefor has a larger stomach) I would be feeding a 10 week old pup 4 times a day. IF that's not feasible, you can probably make due with 3 meals.

Now on to the housebreaking issues. :blink:

She is crated at night beside the bed and will sleep anywhere from 6-8 hours before she lets me know she has to go outside.

A pup this age can probably go 6 hours while crated and sleeping. If the pup can go for 8 hours, that's very good.

During the day, it's been a battle to keep her from pottying indoors. The mother dogs and pups were put outside in a pen 24/7 once the pups were about 3 weeks old, so it seems she thinks she can wet where ever, whenever. :(

Amber's two dogs come over during the day, and now Miss Dot has started wetting in the house, and I take all the dogs out at least every hour. Amber says there are no accidents at home with Miss Dot.

I try to watch Ku'a if she's not napping just to catch her if it looks like she's going to wet on the floor, but I'm not always successful. I know as soon as she wakes up from a nap, I'd better get her outside right then and there!

I have school work to do, and I can't watch her every single moment of the day.

Her accidents inside have less to do with thinking she can go wherever, whenever, because they were reared outdoors early on than they do with her not yet understanding that she should hold her bladder. The general rule for how long a pup can hold its bladder is age in months or age in months, plus one. If she's not active and roaming around, she can probably hold her bladder 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. She will need to go out anytime she has awoken from a nap, been physically active, and before and after meals.

In order for her to understand that she should hold her bladder, you need to be physically present to catch and interrupt her if she has an accident, to notice signs that she might have to go (sniffing, pacing, etc.), and you need to reward her for pottying outdoors. This means she should be either in a crate, or with you at all times. If she has the opportunity to pee without you present, she will not learn that she should hold her bladder. Canine learning is really quite simple: when your pup performs a behavior that is followed by a consequence the pup considers pleasant, useful or desirable, the pup is likely to repeat the behavior in hopes of attaining the favorable consequence/reward again. If a certain behavior is never followed by any consequence the pup considers favorable (and certainly if the behavior yields unpleasant consequences), that behavior eventually dies out.

If you praise and treat the instant the pup finishes her business on a walk or a visit to the yard, the pup understands that going potty on leash with you present or when you are outside might yield a pleasant consequence, and thus may be worth repeating. If the pup goes potty outside and no one notices--nothing more special happens than when the pup has an “accident” on the rug -- the pup will NOT learn to prefer going outside to going on the rug. Thus, during the potty training process, you’ll see the best progress possible if every single potty is caught and given feedback.

You'll also want to thoroughly clean each and every potty accident with an enzymatic cleaner as well.

If you catch the pup in the act of pottying in the wrong place, try to interrupt the pup without scaring it and rush her to the right place where you will wait patiently to see if she will finish, so you can reward potty in the desired place.

I CONTINUE TO FEED A LARGE DOG 3 MEALS A DAY FOR A LONG, LONG TIME. AS THEY APPROACH 6 MONTHS AND GROWTH SPURTS CHANGE, NOT DAILY AS YOU ARE PRESENTLY WITNESSING, THEN I WILL TRY 2 MEALS. BUT DO REMEMBER FELIX NEEDING A MID-DAY MEAL AT 9MONTHS THRU 1.5 YEARS(I STOPPED WHEN HE REACHED 63LBS- HE NOW WEIGHS 79). I WENT WITH HIS NEED. HE DID GET INTO THE HABBIT OF GOING OUT AS SOON AS HE FINISHED EATING, SO THAT WAS NOT A PROBLEM HOUSE BREAKING WISE.

Now on to the housebreaking issues.

She is crated at night beside the bed and will sleep anywhere from 6-8 hours before she lets me know she has to go outside.EXCELLENT, WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK? HER SLEEP TIME WILL INCREASE IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS

During the day, it's been a battle to keep her from pottying indoors. The mother dogs and pups were put outside in a pen 24/7 once the pups were about 3 weeks old, so it seems she thinks she can wet where ever, whenever. SHE IS STILL YOUNG AND HAS NOT FINISHED ALL OF HER TEETHING. I DO NOT TRY TO HOUSE BREAK A DOG UNTIL THEY HAVE ALL OF THEIR ADULT TEETH, THEN IT'S FAST AND SUCCESSFUL.SO, RIGHT NOW JUST IGNORE IT. WHEN YOU START WORKING ON IT, YOU WILL FINISH ALL THE HOUSE BREAKING WITHIN A WEEK. SHE CAN BE EASILY TRAINTED TO JINGLE BELLS ATTACHED TO THE DOOR KNOB SO YOU WILL KNOW SHE NEEDS TO GO OUT. REMEMBER PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE AND FOOD TREATS.

MOST LIKELY EXCITMENT.

I try to watch Ku'a if she's not napping just to catch her if it looks like she's going to wet on the floor, but I'm not always successful. I know as soon as she wakes up from a nap, I'd better get her outside right then and there!LIMIT HER FREEDOM, EITHER THE KTCHEN OR AN EXPEN(HA-HA- FELIX CLIMBED OUT OF HIS AT 8.5 WEEKS). CHECK OUT PREMIRE'S THE ULTIMATE PUPPY KIT, GOOD HINTS(ESPECIALLY ON HOUSE BREAKING). I WOULD TRY TO KEEP HER ON LEAD WITH YOU IN THE HOUSE. THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS THEY SUGGEST AND IT WORKS.

I have school work to do, and I can't watch her every single moment of the day. EXERCISE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND, NEXT BEST IN THE CRATE(ONE IN THE BEDROOM, ONE IN THE MOST ACTIVE ROOM IN THE HOUSE) AND LEASH. GET HER TIRED, GIVE HER KONGS, FROZEN MARROW BONES, STUFF HOOFS AND FREEZE THEM, TOYS. TEACH HER HOW TO PLAY AND AMUSE HERSELF. FELIX IS NOW 3 AND RUNS AROUND PLAYING W/ HIS TOYS SINCE HE LEARNED THAT IS WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN BORED.

As I said, it's not from lack of going outside. I think every hour is sufficient for the entire crew. SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO START LEARNING HOW TO RETRIEVE A BALL. GET HER INVOLVED IN LOTS OF GAMES, THAT TUCKERS THEM OUT.SHE SHOULD BE DEVELOPING HER RUNNING LEGS AND ZOOMIES WILL START AND INCREASE. AROUND 12 WEEKS FELIX STARTED CATCHING LOW FLYING BIRDS! ALSO OBEDIENCE WORK, STARTING AFTER HER RABIES VAC. IS FUN AND EXHAUSTING. THE FOCUS AND PRACTICE REALLY KNOCKS THEM OUT.

Any suggestion or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated before I lose what little mind I have left!

EXERCISE, WALKS LEARING HOW TO HOLD A TOY. IT TAKES TIME BUT YOUR PUP WILL LEARN TO FOCUS ON YOU. I REMEMBER WALKS AT THAT AGE WERE A PANIC. I WAS EITHER BEING BIT OR FELIX WOULD CONK-OUT AFTER 20 MINUTES. I WOULD HAVE TO CARRY HIM BACK! LEARNING HOW TO AMUSE HERSELF DURING DOWN TIME IS MOST HELPFUL. I STARTED BY HOLDING A BONE OR SOMETHING TO CHEW AND TEACHING HIM TO CHEW AND KNOCK IT AROUND. HE DID LEARN TO DO IT HIMSELF. PLAY IS A WONDERFUL TOOL, ONCE YOU START THEM THERE IS NO STOPPING. SO GET SOME STUFFIES, SQUEAKY TOYS- I FOUND SOME STUFFED RUBBER TOYS THAT SEEM TO LAST AND GO FOR IT. OUR HOUSE LOOKED LIKE A DAY CARE CENTER.

ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN, NATURE'S MIRACLE IS A GOD SEND. BUY LOTS OF PAPER TOWELS AND REMEMBER 16-20 WEEKS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

OUR SCHEDULE STARTED AT 5:30 WITH POTTY, PLAY, FOOD, PLAY, NAP. AND THEN WENT ON ALL DAY AND NIGHT LONG. I GUESS THAT IS WHY I TURNED DOWN THE LAST PUPPY THAT WAS AVAILABE AND ENDED UP ADOPTING A 2.5 YEAR OLD. ONCE EVER 12-15 YEARS IS ENOUGH FOR ME. P.M. ME IF YOU NEED SUPPORT DURING THESE TRYING TIMES. IT'S WORTH IT!

Edited by cleptogrey

At 10 weeks, you're not going to get any real control, you're just going to get lucky. As others have said, outside before and after feeding, as soon as she wakes up from a nap, after a play session, after anything exciting has happened, and @ every 1.5 hours in between unless she's totally asleep. A small ex-pen lined with newspaper or other disposable material, that you can move around to where you are, is your best revenge to limit accidents throughout the house.

Feeding 3-4 times a day. Usually you can tell pretty quickly if that's enough or not -- you don't want a tummy rubbing on the ground but if you've got ribs appearing, it's not enough.

Don't forget puppy worming schedule! They almost always have roundworms at least, and you need to get after those buggers every couple weeks.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

10 weeks is still very young. Nessa was still having accidents at that age. I would suggest either using the crate during the day for a few hours at a time so she'll learn to hold it or keeping her in a confined space with you to keep an eye on her.

With Nessa it was really more a matter of us realizing she really did have to pee again even if we had just been outside. We were harder to train than she was.

I fed her 3 times a day until she no longer seemed to want the mid day meal. I think it was around 4 months but can't remember now. At about 4 months I used a tug-a-jug filled with kibble. She would work on the jug when she was hungry and it kept her busy and out of trouble.

Guest mcsheltie

A puppy will pee about 15 minutes after it drinks. So if you put her outside as soon as she wakes up, she will pee. And then will normally get a drink. You bring her back inside and think you are good for an hour... nope, she will pee again in about 15 minutes.

Don't deprive a puppy of water, but instead use it as a tool to further housebreaking.

When you catch them going in the house do not yell, clap your hands or do anything to frighten them into stopping. That will only teach them that going in front of you is a bad thing and they will learn to go off in other rooms to potty. Instead just calmly pick them up and take them outside.

I agree about either crating or keeping them on a leash with you. Every time they go in the house it reinforces that behavior. Peeing in an x-pen inside reinforces that behavior.

When I am seriously working to house train a puppy they go outside every twenty minutes. It is a PITA, but it is only for a short period of time. And well worth the effort. I set two timers because I know myself. I will see twenty minutes has passed and I think... as soon as I am done with this task I will let the puppy out. As I head toward the door I see the puppy peeing on the floor. If I had taken her out when the timer went off it wouldn't have happened.

Edited by mcsheltie

i found my "ultimate puppy" kit from premire. would you like it? it was given to me when i adopted felix. even though i have house broken and trained 4 dogs it was greyt to have around i see what's new in house breaking and basic training. by the time i get another puppy i will be close to 70 and i am sure everything will be revised anyway!

I'd make sure she was in a pen near you--not the crate--if possible.

I'd also take her out ON A LEASH and make a big deal when she tinkles. Don't just send her out the door. She needs to learn she's out there for a reason!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Tenderhearts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have no idea how big this pup is going to get since mother dog is only about 35 pounds and daddy dog is of unknown origin.

She is praised lavishly outside as soon as she does her business, and I reward with treats.

If I do catch her in the act, I immediately pick her up and take her outside. She's praised as soon as she finishes.

I also realize I am very lucky that she holds it that long at night.

I have a 6' doorway across that leads from the kitchen to the living room, so I'm going to put up a sheet of plywood to keep the dogs contained to the kitchen/my computer room.

She and Miss Dot play hard enough to wear each other out, and Miss Bug is often in the mix too. When we go outside, the dogs usually run, including Ku'a. She likes to fetch sticks in the yard. :)

She is even starting to sit briefly for a treat indoors, which I think is pretty spectacular for that young. She watches the other dogs closely.

I just snapped these pictures outside for your viewing pleasure. Miss Dot started a hole earlier, and Ku'a thought it was worth further digging/investigation. :lol

It's pretty muddy because we got walloped with over 2" of rain during the night (and I left my car window down all night). :eek :eek

052610kuadigging2.jpg

052610kuadigging.jpg

052610kualeaf.jpg

OMG she's cute.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

A puppy will pee about 15 minutes after it drinks. So if you put her outside as soon as she wakes up, she will pee. And then will normally get a drink. You bring her back inside and think you are good for an hour... nope, she will pee again in about 15 minutes.

Wow that was a lightbulb moment for me! You are exactly right about the getting a drink right after peeing. :colgate

OMG she's cute.

Thanks! I think she is too! She's going through a tremendous growth spurt right now where she is all legs. Before, she was kind of low to the ground and bow-legged. That is not the case anymore. I give her a couple of weeks max before she is able to jump on the sofa when other dogs are up there. She's trying really hard, and is getting closer every day! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tenderhearts

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know the housebreaking is going fabulous, thanks to the collective wisdom here!

Ku'a is 12 weeks of age now, and there are very few accidents. Paying attention to her slogging down a bunch of water after going out for potty break has made a huge difference. The few accidents she does have are because I get caught up in school work and forget.

She's sleeping through the night now in her crate with no potty breaks, and sits on command! She still gets lavish praise for doing her thing outside, and I will continue that.

More pics to come soon!