Grain Free

Guest Greytluv

If he was maintaining his weight with 4 cups/day on the grainy stuff, will he need more of the grain-free food to keep the pounds on?

Good question. I do feed a food with corn in it has meat and meat meal in the first five and it has worked well for us when other higher dollar foods didn't.

On one hand it might take more of a food with less meat protein and on the other you are basically trading one starch (corn) for two others (sweet potatoes and potatoes).

I'd feed the Kirkland foods if there was a Costco closer than 20 miles from me.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'd love to hear anyone's updates as to how their dogs are doing on this food. Grace is shedding like mad this season and I suspect it has to do with her diet so I'm thinking of switching to Nature's Domain.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I'd love to hear anyone's updates as to how their dogs are doing on this food. Grace is shedding like mad this season and I suspect it has to do with her diet so I'm thinking of switching to Nature's Domain.

All my girls have been on this now for about 3 months and they love it. I was getting low and mixed some of the older stuff with the Nature's Domain, and the little poop-heads ate around the old stuff and only ate the ND.. :lol Right now only 2 Costcos in the Phoenix area carry it and I will need to make a half drive next week to get more. I usually pick up at least 2 bags, so that is 70lbs and even with 4 greyhounds those 2 bags last me well into 2-3 months.

They don;t eat as much and the "excess" has been firmer then before. I free-feed and they just nibble when they are hungry but it seems to satisfy them so they dopn't eat near as much as the old food.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I am in Indiana. Maybe if enough people on the east coast express an interest, they will start selling it there.

Where in Indiana...indy? DO they have it here?

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

We're on our third bag of the Nature's Domain from Costco. (It's available at the Costco in Louisville, KY.)

We'd been feeding another Diamond product for about a year -- the 4Health Large Breed from Tractor Supply -- with good results. Brought in a new dog with dry, flaky skin and lots of scratching. We fostered him for a week or so when he arrived from the track. We didn't notice any scratching during his first week with us. Poor little thing, his placement didn't work out and he came back to us. Mike and I are going to adopt him because we expect to lose 2 of our 3 dogs in the very near future (one has bone cancer, the other is 12 and not thriving). Plus, this dog is a littermate of our Abby.

To get back to the Nature's Domain, Mojo came back to us scratching, itching and flaking all over the place. He also came back with three prescriptions intended to address his flaking and itching. I wondered if the problem might be an allergic reaction and decided to try a grain-free food for a while to see if that helped. With four dogs, a 40# bag doesn't last too awfully long around here but he's off all the meds, no scratching and no more flaking! I really think the grains in his former kibble may have been the issue. I'm giving the credit to Nature's Domain.

PLUS, they really seem to like the Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food formula.

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

I love Nature's Domain and today when I was buying food, I saw that there is now a Turkey and Potato Nature's Domain (Red bag). I bought one and we will give that a try. It's always a good idea to rotate protein sources anyway (given tolerance to all of them). Great price for what you get.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest LindsaySF

I just started switching Aidan, Clancy, Cody, Honey, and Teagan to Nature's Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato. My local Costco (Waterbury CT) carries just this formula. I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

I suspect Clancy is allergic to chicken (chronic ear infections). He's been on Kirkland Lamb & Rice for a few years now, but there is still chicken fat in that food. I'm hoping grain-free and totally chicken-free will agree with him. Aidan could probably eat anything and do well. Cody always has perfect poops, but he suffers from dry skin occasionally, so we'll see if this helps at all.

I'm keeping Rogan and Sophie on TOTW (Sophie has seizures, and Rogan possible IBS). Lily is still on Prairie Chicken & Rice, she can eat anything and have perfect poops, but this is what her foster mom was feeding her, and I like the small kibble size, so we'll stay on it.

How are everyone else's dogs doing? I have high hopes for this food. At $20 cheaper per bag than TOTW, my wallet is excited too. :)

~Lindsay~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zoolaine
:yay My Costco finally stated carrying it! I bought 2 bags of it and so far everyone loves it. It is so nice to be able to feed everyone the same kibble (Luna is on a home cooked Kidney diet)

Guest Diadado

Are the pieces as small as the Kirkland food or bigger?

Bigger. They are round, flat discs.

Thanks. I might give it a try. I'd switched him from Kirkland to ProPlan because he eats fast and was swallowing some of it whole and ProPlan is round, flat discs which he has to chew. Now I'm seeing that ProPlan isn't rated very well plus he needs to put on a little bit of weight (racing weight was 70 and he was 62.5 at the vet a month ago) and going from 3 to 4 cups over the last month I haven't seen much difference. It also sounds like it'll be good for a foster I just got in. Will have to pick up a bag tomorrow and try it.

Guest mountain4greys

I finally got to see Natures Domain at Costco today. I think the next time at Costco, I'm going to try it. Didn't want to this time, since we're heading to Dewey. Don't want anything to happen with their food there. There is no Costco close to the beach.

I called Costco and they don't carry it in any of the Connecticut stores or Springfield, MA. :weep

I'm going to put it in the suggestion box next time I go.

Saw it today in the Waterbury CT store!!!

Of course we had JUST bought our regular bag of Diamond Natural......

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest TBSFlame

Gee is on grain free also as she seems to have allergies to most everything else. We have to use TOTW. I'm waiting for our Costco to carry the grain free and will try it when they do.

I just changed Star to TOTW. She still has that snot nose so I am going to try grain free. I sure hope it helps b/c having a snot nose can not be fun.

Guest Diadado

I called Costco and they don't carry it in any of the Connecticut stores or Springfield, MA. :weep

I'm going to put it in the suggestion box next time I go.

Saw it today in the Waterbury CT store!!!

Of course we had JUST bought our regular bag of Diamond Natural......

I just picked up a bag today at the Waterbury Costco (Orange Costco doesn't carry it). Trying it out on the new foster. Will let everyone know how she does on it. She needs some weight and is getting over flea dermatitis.