My First Limp...

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Okay, trying to stay rational here but the part of my brain that has spent too much time on GT is freaking out.

Kebo is 8 but don't tell him that. He was the most successful racer of my 3 and at some point during his career, he popped a muscle in his right thigh. That has never kept him from having fun chasing his stuffies around the backyard like a crazy man. He has been zooming a little more than usual because of the nice weather so I am hoping that he just overdid it.

Thursday night DH says that he didn't want to climb the stairs from the yard back into the house. We give him a once-over and find that his right hip isn't moving as well as his left and notice some muscle spasm in the right thigh. At one point, he wouldn't bear weight on the right leg. Gave him a dose of metacam and tramadol, put some heat on it, and made the decision to continue it through the weekend and if the limp was still there, off to the vet we would go. So he has been on the metacam and tramadol for 3.5 days now. Although it is better, he is still having trouble with his hip motion. He is reluctant to start up the stairs, he has trouble getting the right leg up high enough to get on the couch, and he can't make it all the way into the "down" position without popping right back up.

There isn't any bruising in the right thigh like you would expect from an acute muscle injury. There aren't any paw abnormalities that I can appreciate. He is our most stoic dog - he had a 5-inch gash in his neck after a fight with a foster and never uttered a peep. He has been on glucosamine for years and takes 4000mg of fish oil a day.

He is due for his dental - I made an appointment for 4/6 - the first available so that they can x-ray him if they have to. If he is still having trouble on Monday, I'll take him in to see the vet before she does the dental so she can examine him and talk me off of the cliff I am on.

I just have this pit in my stomach. It seems that he should be better by now and he isn't. If you can spare a good thought for my boy I would appreciate it.

p831137589-3.jpg

If he pulled a muscle, or there's any soft tissue injury, it'll take awhile to improve.

With Lenny, who stayed on Rimadyl, it took 5 weeks. It's a slow healing process.

Feel better handsome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest jettcricket

Gosh...he looks so much like my Dave. Prayers for your sweet boy that its nothing serious.

Try to be positive....I know, easier said than done. He'll be ok....

Guest LindsaySF

It might take longer than a few days for it to heal and him to feel better. It's good that you have seen at least some improvement though. I would leash-walk him and make sure he doesn't overdo it. An x-ray can't hurt for peace of mind, same with a vet exam. I hope he feels better soon! :goodluck

Guest greytkidsmom

If he pulled a muscle, or there's any soft tissue injury, it'll take awhile to improve.

With Lenny, who stayed on Rimadyl, it took 5 weeks. It's a slow healing process.

Feel better handsome

Thanks for that. Slow healing is just fine with me.

Can you keep him off the stairs for the time being? If it's soft tissue injury, rest is best. It probably *is* that, but an x-ray sure won't hurt. Keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

If you think it might be a muscle, you might want to treat it will a cold pack rather than a heating pad. A nurse friend of mine said that they are changing the way they treat muscles now and don't even rotate cold and heat anymore. They are finding that the cold treatments seem to help the muscles heal faster. I hope Kebo feels better and is back to his old playful self very soon. Sending healing light and prayer to Kebo and you.

When our Paul had a soft tissue injury it took about three weeks to heal. I freaked out just like you did; we had just adopted Paul at that time. We had him, maybe, five months or so. Good luck and warm healing thoughts coming your way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I agree with what others have already said. Good thoughts that he heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Feel better handsome

Yes, soft tissue injuries heal SLOWLY!

If you are worried, I'd get the x-ray, just for peace of mind!

Sending hugs and prayers for your guy!

Adding my prayers that it's nothing serious. :hope I, too, am fearful of limps. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest 4rooers

If he seems sore you might try some arnica gel, it can really help with sore muscles and bruising, too. I use it on Ozzie's lumbar spine when he seems stiffer than usual. Hope you can all get some rest and Kebo feels better soon.

Kim

Guest greytkidsmom

If he seems sore you might try some arnica gel, it can really help with sore muscles and bruising, too. I use it on Ozzie's lumbar spine when he seems stiffer than usual. Hope you can all get some rest and Kebo feels better soon.

Kim

Thanks Kim - he doesn't seem as much sore as he just has an obvious decrease in range of motion in that right hip. I'm thinking that if he checks out okay that some chiro or acupuncture might help. Do you have any local recs?

Guest 4rooers

Kim

Thanks Kim - he doesn't seem as much sore as he just has an obvious decrease in range of motion in that right hip. I'm thinking that if he checks out okay that some chiro or acupuncture might help. Do you have any local recs?

Bridget is wonderful at RAH, I use Anna Simms whose is a friend of Bridget's but comes to the house. Ozzie seems to get more benefit from acupuncture at home because he is so phobic at the vet's office. She is on the faculty at VT and can do chiropractic, too. I can email you her phone number.She goes to the kennel for Sara and has helped lots of the hounds.

Kim

Edited by 4rooers

Guest greytkidsmom

Thanks everyone for the moral support. Kebo seems to be getting around a little easier today - he went into his "down" to wait for dinner tonight. He still hesitates at the base of stairs and I wish there was a way to avoid them for the time being but there just isn't a way into or out of the house without a climb. I think I will still ask for an x-ray next week when he gets his dental - just don't want to take any chances. Wonder how many teeth he will leave at the vet this time...

Keep us posted on the xray.

With Lenny, my vet insisted on an xray after he wasn't improving but I really felt it wasn't necessary but went ahead with it just to be 100% safe.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Good thoughts for you and Kebo. I hope it's nothing serious and he is back to his normal self soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytkidsmom

Had Kebo to the vet yesterday - the limp is mostly better. She gave him a good once-over and doesn't think there is any badness lurking but will x-ray him Tuesday when he has his dental. Now all I have to worry about is him getting through the dental...

Guest greytkidsmom

Have I mentioned that I love my vet?

She just called. Kebo is coming out of anesthesia just fine. No extractions this time. :colgate She x-rayed his pelvis, hips, knees, and ankles and didn't see anything that worried her (talk about thorough). There is a little arthritis at his sacroiliac joint which isn't at all unexpected for an 8-year-old. He is also walking a lot better than he did this time last week. I feel so relieved.

I pick him up in about an hour. Can't wait to give my boy a big hug.

Glad that the vet didn't find anything, and that he'll be home soon. Hope he recovers quickly and well.

FWIW, when Cora had a soft-tissue problem deep inside her hip, it was about a month before she wasn't in agony (even with Metacam), two or three months before she could do stairs, and about four before she was 100%.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Heehoo

He will get through the dental splendidly & the limp will fade to nothing, because it is basically nothing. I insist it be so. colgate.gif

Sending positive thoughts for your boy.

Well I second that "insist"!!!