Hero Seized Last Night

Guest EmbersDad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest handpicked

Tom-- With Hero's age being only 3, it is most likely idiopathic epilepsy. Meaning we don't know why, but that it is genetic in most cases. The typical age range is from 6 months to 6 years of age when it starts. What was Hero's racing name? It sure sounds like a grand mal seizure. They usually will drool, urinate, defecate, their head will be thrown back and their eyes will go back in their head while their legs will thrust to and from the body. With a first known seizure, I usually just do routine blood work on the pet looking for any abnormalities that can cause seizures. I don't automatically put them on medications. I usually have the owner start a seizure diary and if the seizures either increase in frequency or in severity, then I will put them on antiseizure meds. Sometimes, in greyhounds, hypothyroidism can cause seizures and if you control the hypothyroidism, then there will be no seizures and it is important to do both a free T4 and TSH test on this blood work. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Sending healing white light Hero's way!!

Just seeing this...I have no experience or advice, but just wanted to send prayers for Hero (and you) that he remains seizure free and for

negative biopsy results. He sure is a handsome boy.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Late in catching up Tom, sorry.

Sorry to hear that Hero had a seizure - you must have been spooked to say the least.

I'm glad to hear that he's not had another.

Give him a kiss from me :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greyt2love

I'm sorry that Hero had a seizure, but happy that he is doing well now. You have had tons of advise, so there is nothing I can ad there. I can't support the journal of his seizures enough. It really helped me to see what triggered my Caesar. Chicken, stress, and heat were some of the major things for him. I cut out all chicken, even for the other dogs because his meds made him hungry all the time, and he would eat everything in their dishes if they left anything. I was known to leave meetings to go home if there was a thunderstorm because they made him nervous, and in the summer, I really limited his time outdoors in the sun and heat. He went out to play later in the day. I was never as fortunate as Judy to have him be seizure-free, but until his last year, I was able to keep them pretty far apart. Hopefully, Hero won't have another ! Oh, I gave him Haagen Das vanilla ice cream after a seizure to get his blood sugar levels back up. Seemed to help him. Best of luck with this !

Guest EmbersDad

Spoke with my vet this morning. First some good news...Can you say B9....I knew that you could :lol The Histeocytoma on his foot is benign!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His bloodwork did show some muscle enzymes elevated which are indicative of a seizure. It also showed, are you ready...a thyroid level of 0.2!!! They want to draw more blood and run a complete panel to confirm. She said that some neurologists do think that hypothyroidism can be a trigger for seizures, yet some do not. The verdict is still out on that. If we do confirm he is hypothyroid, I've been there with Ember, so it's not a big deal. will it stop the seizures? I guess will will find out, if not, we have eliminated 1 possible cause.

B9 is a really good thing! Glad to see that Hero has been feeling better. Your vet seems to be doing a good job of tracking down the cause of the seizure. Please give that gorgeous boy a hug for me - and of course, Althea as well.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

B-9, words I love to hear! Sounds like your vet is exploring all possibilities and that's a good thing. We have one with low thyroid here also and like you said, it's no big deal. Hopefully he'll have no more seizures. I have my fingers crossed!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Treating a hypothyroid dog who has seizures may help control the seizures...if they the low thyroid contributed to them. Piper takes Soloxin and seems to genuinely need it but it does not seem to have made any difference at all in his seizures. <_<

So very glad to read that Hero's histocytoma is benign!

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Energy11

Happy to hear the "B9!" for sure!

Could very well the hypothyroidism, that caused that seizure.

Like you said, it is something you can manage!

Well, for the most part, this is great news! Keep us posted!

Many hugs from here!

Guest greytmiles

Happy to hear the "B9!" for sure!

Could very well the hypothyroidism, that caused that seizure.

Like you said, it is something you can manage!

Well, for the most part, this is great news! Keep us posted!

Many hugs from here!

Same from me! I'm glad you're well on the road to getting answers and good information.

:bighug

Spencer had mild seizures before he was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. Never had another one after that. Hope it's that simple for Hero! So glad to hear he's doing better and that you're looking into the cause. Spencer sends hugs!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest lynne893

Just wanted to send support. We fostered a big brindle guy (Picasso) who had seizures. The first grand mal scared the you-know-what out of us.

Good luck. The comments and insights on here are encouraging. You are NOT alone! We are here for you!

Guest IrskasMom

Tom , you are doing all the right Things.I have no Advice just sending Hugs .

I miss your post's and Pictures. grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

How is Hero doing today ???

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest wmlcml6

Sending "no more seizure" thoughts to our boy, Tom. I hope he's playing and back to normal now. Looking forward to the full panel thyroid test results to see what they show so you can treat correctly.

XOXO

Guest EmbersDad

Spencer had mild seizures before he was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. Never had another one after that. Hope it's that simple for Hero! So glad to hear he's doing better and that you're looking into the cause. Spencer sends hugs!

aaw, thanx spencer. a big ROO to u pal.

Tom , you are doing all the right Things.I have no Advice just sending Hugs .

I miss your post's and Pictures. grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

How is Hero doing today ???

he seems better. the rain has ceased and everyones spirits seem up. his teeth chattered for the first time in a long time and he is being very affectionate.

Sending "no more seizure" thoughts to our boy, Tom. I hope he's playing and back to normal now. Looking forward to the full panel thyroid test results to see what they show so you can treat correctly.

XOXO

he did give his toys a few tosses in the air, but really hasnt played much. i think its because althea isnt feeling too well. she is on steroids & antibiotics for her skin issue, and they seem to make her feel lethargic, although she did give me some butt tuck zoomies this morning. i think the last 2 days of rain has really affected them. i will ask paula if he plays during the day. i have a thread in c&f with some pics of hero with his new, spiffy terrapin collar on and those were taken post seizure, so he does have his playful moments. i have noticed he has been much more affectionate since this started. hopefully when we get his thyroid straightened out, things will look up all around. i should have the results in a day or 2.

thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. they mean the world to me.

Guest EmbersDad

the full thyroid panel came back with the t4 the body sees being "low range of normal" so we arent treating for hypothyroidism. i guess thats good news. 6 days and counting...no seizures and he did swipe the 2 new stuffies i bought and took them to his crate. my vet did call me in a script for 6 liquid valium suppositories which i will pick up tomorrow.

I haven't read all the details but would encourage you to think if he had anything different that day. Like a chew bone, frontline etc. Sometimes these are the culprit.

It's a very good indicator he hasn't had another one. It can be a one time deal. Did your vet encourage any aspirin?