Aquitaine Attacked And Bitten Tonight

There is a dog in my local park that I see at least once a week. He is a hound of some sort, white with fawn spotting and a fawn head. No clue what type of hound. The first night I got Aquitaine her snarled and lunged at her, so I have been careful to put her on my other side and stay between them when I see him. Tonight I rounded a part of the park and came upon them too quickly to get in between them. He snarled and lunged, she stood up for herself and we were both bitten. It went through her lip and her throat. The vet said it was good that the throat cut went up and not down. She is stitched and home. I have emailed my bosses that I need to stay home and work remotely for a couple of days.

I have to admit that I screamed and wailed. Thankfully many people came to help, one of whom is my downstairs neighbor. The owner of the other dog was apparently quite upset and my neighbor got his number. My vet thinks he should pay for the surgery. That would be great, I sure need the money but all I care about is that my girl will be okay.

There were several bad cases in the emergency vet tonight so along with asking for the power of GT for my girl, please could you spare a prayer for those people who did not and/or will not go home with their pups and kitties tonight.

Apologies for any typos, I haven't slept yet and was bittin in my finger pad on my dominant hand.

As they said at the evet last night, Aquitaine is definitely doing better than I am. She is fairly perky despite the Tramadol, she has been happy to eat and drink and no vomiting. Her nose is cold and wet and her eyes are their normal, beautiful sparkling selves. She is even trying to fit in some personal grooming time which I don't think will contribute to a sanitary mouth!!!

The evet sent the release paperwork this afternoon with the after care instructions. I opted to go home after being checked out by the tech because it wa 1:00 am and there were so many other energency cases there last night. I have to watch for infection and she is on Clavamox and Tramadol for a while. She saw her own vet for her shots on March 12 so I know she is in good shape. I also spoke to my own vet from the evet's office last night and sent him the paperwork today.

My friend Kelly who is her walker came to take her out today and she tried to get her way and go on her walk to Central Park which we took as a good sign. I have also asked Kelly to do the preliminary conversation with the other owner. I am too tired, shaky and on edge and am afraid I will burst into tears. Kelly has had full medical power since she tried to save Morgaine during her status seizure. After going through that day together, I told her that I would always trust her to do what was best for my girl.

Both dogs were leashed. I learned my lesson nearly 20 years ago when Scarlett was ripped to shreds by a dobie in the dog run that we would stay out of dog runs with other dogs. I learned with that incident (and that dog also attacked other dogs and owners, including a police officer) that animal control in the city is virtually impossible to enact. We have rabid,sick raccoons in our park and nothing is being dine about them. Well, in fairness, one of my vets vet friend's is going around on his own and doing some kind of ingestible vaccination to try to cut down on the issue in the raccoon population. I honestly never thought raccoons would be a problem in the midst of New York City. Today a friend told me that her friends had recently seen coyotes. Yikes.

My wound is a bit more difficult as I am allergic to penicillin which is the best drug for the injury. I now have another med and some Percocet which I am afraid to take in case I fall asleep and she needs me. I do know that I need sleep if I am going to help her.

Thank you all so very much for the power of GT for my girl. I know it is only day 1 but I am cautiously hopeful.

Today we had major tail wagging (she is a VERY waggy girl) and an attempted jump and waist hug. That was promptly rebuffed because of her stitches. Needless to say, I am thrilled. I am even having wildly crazy thoughts of abandoning the yoga mat and going to my own bed -- all of 4 feet higher than her mattress on the floor. I may get more than 2 hours of sleep tonight!

The swelling in both her throat and lip is already less than yesterday and the color on both is still a healthy, "regular" pinkish-red.

Off to ice my finger.

Thank you all for the healing thoughts.

Edited by carronstar

Guest vahoundlover

How scary! Glad Aquitaine is home resting. Sending lots of healing thoughts for your baby girl and the others at the EVet.

I hope you are both feeling better soon.

:grouphug

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Good thoughts for Aquitaine - may he have a speedy recovery. And my thoughts to those who were at the e-vet.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest luckydog

Unfortunately, the law is more concerned with your injuries than Aquitaine's. Call the cops, call Animal Control and raise holy heck over this vicious dog attacking YOU. That will get their attention.

Guest Swifthounds

Lots of good thoughts and healing white light for your Aquitaine.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but if you were bitten by this dog, you definitely should report it (you should report it even if it's just your dog bitten IMO). Your dog is almost certainly current on her rabies vaccine,but unless you work in a zoo or somewhere else that rabies vaccines are given to humans, you have not. You'll want to find out that the other dog has a current rabies vaccination.

The owner of the other dog should at least pay for your injuries and those to you dog. Even if the owner seems willing to pay now, sometimes they rethink when they learn how much the bill will be. In any event, you'll want to document the incident for your own protection.

Oh, and take care of yourself too. Unless you're superhuman, you're probably a bit shaken up as well.

Guest KennelMom

Poor Aquitaine!! I hope she heals soon.

I would report to animal control. A human bite and a dog bite are pretty serious...did the dog try to bite you or did you get in the way of the attack?

The owner should definitely pay.

Get well soon Aquitaine.

I think "luckydog" is right you should report this, he could do it again to a smaller weaker dog and the outcome could be a lot worse. Was he on a lead?

Edited by Ref

Lots of good thoughts and healing white light for your Aquitaine.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but if you were bitten by this dog, you definitely should report it (you should report it even if it's just your dog bitten IMO). Your dog is almost certainly current on her rabies vaccine,but unless you work in a zoo or somewhere else that rabies vaccines are given to humans, you have not. You'll want to find out that the other dog has a current rabies vaccination.

The owner of the other dog should at least pay for your injuries and those to you dog. Even if the owner seems willing to pay now, sometimes they rethink when they learn how much the bill will be. In any event, you'll want to document the incident for your own protection.

Oh, and take care of yourself too. Unless you're superhuman, you're probably a bit shaken up as well.

I absolutely agree with this, esp the bit about the other owner changing their mind. <_<

What a terrifying event. I hope you both heal quickly.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest SusanP

That owner needs to understand that he can't walk his dog off leash anymore. Or if it's on leash doing things like this, he probably shouldn't be walking it at all or at least muzzling. It should probably be reported, because this dog could be a danger to other animals and people (even if you were bitten "only" because you got in the way of a dogfight.

Yikes, I almost forgot to wish you both happy healing and send some white light to other dogs fighting for their lives.

Edited by SusanP

How scary. I am so sorry. sending lots of prayers for your girl and all the others who need prayers.

:(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Unfortunately, the law is more concerned with your injuries than Aquitaine's. Call the cops, call Animal Control and raise holy heck over this vicious dog attacking YOU. That will get their attention.

If both dogs were leashed, then this is, unfortunately, not really going to get animal control's attention, particularly in New York City.

One should maintain control of one's dog, and sadly, just having it on a leash doesn't mean it's under your control...

I would definitely speak to the owner of the other dog about your vet bills.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

Leashed, or not leashed, THIS DOG BIT YOU and YOUR DOG!

PLEASE REPORT THIS!!! What if, next time, it is a baby in a stroller or a toddler? THEN, the police and AC, would care!

Sending lots of healing love to you and Aquitaine! I HATE this type of thing! Makes my blood boil! angryfire.gif

Much love and many hugs! Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

Guest Swifthounds

If both dogs were leashed, then this is, unfortunately, not really going to get animal control's attention, particularly in New York City.

One should maintain control of one's dog, and sadly, just having it on a leash doesn't mean it's under your control...

I would definitely speak to the owner of the other dog about your vet bills.

I don't think the point is getting the attention of anyone as much as it is protecting your own rights and interests. You document things so that later someone can't argue, based on your not reporting it, that it didn't happen or that it couldn't have happened that way. I'm not saying that animal control or the police in NYC would be thrilled and eager to help, but you have a right to make a report, even if they don't feel like writing one. If you don't protect yourself and your dog (and some future toddler that dog encounters), it only gets worse.

Leashed, or not leashed, THIS DOG BIT YOU and YOUR DOG!

PLEASE REPORT THIS!!! What if, next time, it is a baby in a stroller or a toddler? THEN, the police and AC, would care!

Sending lots of healing love to you and Aquitaine! I HATE this type of thing! Makes my blood boil! angryfire.gif

Much love and many hugs! Dee and The Five

DITTO what ENERGY said. The beast needs to be reported before he hurts or kills another innocent being. My blood more than boils over these incidents-I think it vaporizes completely because I become insanely protective of my hounds and have no compunctions about it or what I might do to the offenders. I have been trained to "neutralize threats" and have learned to arm myself before going for a walkie.

I hope you are both feeling fine this morning. Report, document, and record all your notes and thoughts so if months go by before anything happens, you will have reminders. This is always my biggest nightmare, especially when I am walking all three.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds