How Worried Should I Be

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

She refused all food last night, treats, bananas, stinky cheese and peanut butter. She did the same this morning.. so no food. She hasn't had anything to drink that we have seen and she just vomited bile. I'm pretty sure the bile thing is because her belly is empty but she just doesn't look right. After she vomited, she fell over. It was as though she tensed up and semi-slid on the floor, semi fell over. She got right up with help and is now in her crate, lying there, eyes open. Vet opens at 8, so I'll be calling but need someone to calm me down.

oh, this is my first time with a hound immediately after a spay, so my worry meter could just be high.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your worry meter is on target, something isn't right. As in, she's not feeling too well. Meaning, she could be in pain or something else. Tough to call, but some things you can check.

How's her gum color and refill? Lift up the gums and look at the gum, near the crease where the lip starts. Is the gum pink. Also, press with a finger and watch it refill (should go from white when you press to pink when you release.) Refill time should be less than 2 seconds.

How's her temp?

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Guest greytbookert

I'll go check right now... When I patted her head this morning, she felt warm to me but we haven't taken an actual temp. When DH gets out of the shower, we'll take it.

Be right back...

I don't have any experience with this. But calling the vet sounds like a good idea. I just wanted you to know I'm here with you fretting over sweet Cindy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Your worry meter is on target, something isn't right. As in, she's not feeling too well. Meaning, she could be in pain or something else. Tough to call, but some things you can check.

How's her gum color and refill? Lift up the gums and look at the gum, near the crease where the lip starts. Is the gum pink. Also, press with a finger and watch it refill (should go from white when you press to pink when you release.) Refill time should be less than 2 seconds.

How's her temp?

I agree. I think I would be AT the Vet when they opened instead of on the phone. I would consider getting an anti-acid in her tummy also.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'll go check right now... When I patted her head this morning, she felt warm to me but we haven't taken an actual temp. When DH gets out of the shower, we'll take it.

Be right back...

Temp should be no higher than 102 - 102.5. If she has been on rimadyl or another pain nsaid, that might be giving her the bile-y tummy too.

Guest greytbookert

ok, gums are a very light pink, when I compare to Eric and Adam, the color is obviously different. When pressed, the color doesn't change much and doesn't seem to refill. :unsure

ok, gums are a very light pink, when I compare to Eric and Adam, the color is obviously different. When pressed, the color doesn't change much and doesn't seem to refill. unsure.gif

Hmm, are you pressing above or just behind the canine tooth? Not in the crease, but on the gum itself. You should see a whitish halo form, release your thumb and watch the color return (refill)

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Guest greytbookert

I did both and no change really.

DH and I decided that we are going to take her in to the vet... something isn't right and I'd rather be the lunatic waiting at the vet then wait and be a lunatic later, if things get worse.

We weren't able to get a Rimadyl in her last night or this morning :(

I did both and no change really.

DH and I decided that we are going to take her in to the vet... something isn't right and I'd rather be the lunatic waiting at the vet then wait and be a lunatic later, if things get worse.

We weren't able to get a Rimadyl in her last night or this morning sad.gif

Keep us posted on how she makes out. Poor girl :(

It's be very worried, as greys are extremely prone to post surgical bleeding to the point that Dr. Couto now gives all greys a special enzyme pre-surgery.

Good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Good thoughts coming your way and Cindy's. We'll be waiting for good news.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Really hoping she's just slow to clear the anaesthesia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just read something on FB and came here to find out more... poor Cindy :cry1 I'm sending lots of good thoughts. Will be checking back as frequently as I can today for an update... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :candle :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.