Logan

Our almost 9-year old Logan's been back and forth to the vet over the past 3 or 4 weeks.

The vet's taken blood & urine, done x-rays, done a sonogram - cannot find anything wrong with him.

The problem(s)

He's lost 13 pounds in the past 6 or so months

His fur is starting to look ratty

He will occasionally yelp in pain when you are just patting him gently (not localized to a specific spot)

His hips and back legs are quite weak to the point if we put a slight pressure on his hips his legs will buckle (the vet diagnosed degenerative myelopathy last year so this is not a new symptom)

He just doesn't look right (I know a lot of you will understand that comment)

So

Bloods were normal, urine showed elevated "epithelial cells" which prompted the vet to do the sonogram of his bladder - nothing. Then we had xrays of chest and "nether regions" again nothing.

Oh and from the sonogram on Friday to the Xrays on Monday he dropped another pound.

So the vet's recommendation was to "feed him very well from today til this Friday and come in for a weight check" if he's still losing weight we'll get a referral to an internist (who will do what more - I don't know ...)

I guess he's stymied.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are more than welcome at this point because we're at our wit's end :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Donna, I really have no insights but I'm sorry you're going through this and hope things turn around for Logan very soon :grouphug

Thanks Amber - it's so frustrating - just seeing him fading away.

Not that I wish him to be sick but this uncertainty is putting a strain on everybody.

Donna, I'm so sorry to read that Logan is doing so poorly. I understand so well the "he just doesn't look right comment". I hope that you are able to find out soon what is wrong with him and that there is something that can be done to make him feel better. Sending loads of white light for him and a hug grouphug.gif for you.

My first thought is something up with his liver, but it sounds like testing ruled that out?

Hoping for a dx and a solution. I honestly know this frustration.

Feel better Logan!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Just sending get well wishes to Logan. I wish I had helpful information to share, but I'm at a loss. Is he already on something for pain management?

Guest snakes

Maybe someone on the DM message boards would have some better idea? Maybe (although i hope for you all it is not) it is another step in that horrible disease or a complication of it?

Guest WarmheartedPups

Donna, I am so sorry to hear about Logan....what a helpless feeling.

I hope he can rebound....my prayers are with you

Edited by WarmheartedPups

I wasn't on GT at all yesterday so I didn't stop by the WFUBCC and I'm just reading this now... I'm so sorry to hear that you still have no answers, Donna :( :( Poor Logan :cry1 It must be hard to see him like this and not know what's wrong. I really hope the vet figures out what's going on soon, and that it's easily treatable. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Hang in there... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Just sending get well wishes to Logan. I wish I had helpful information to share, but I'm at a loss. Is he already on something for pain management?

He was on 100mg of tramadol twice a day and the poor guy was so drugges he didn't know if he was coming or going.

The vet reduced it to once a day but that was only for a week. So now he's on nothing...

Guest eaglflyt

Have they done a full tick panel on your boy? Not just the Snap 4, but a full tick panel?

Also, are his teeth and gums in good condition ... just thought it might be a contributing factor.

I hope they find out what's going on quickly and that he feels better very soon.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest TinasTroops

Donna have you had him looked at by a message therapist or a Chiropracter? 3 of my 5 hounds have hip issues and Booker has had a "locked pelvic" simular to your statment of any pressure and he would drop!

We now have him visit his chiro by monthly but started off weekly and worked wonders for him

Have they done a full tick panel on your boy? Not just the Snap 4, but a full tick panel?

Also, are his teeth and gums in good condition ... just thought it might be a contributing factor.

I was just investigating tick panels AND Valley Fever bloodwork.

Do the bloods have to be sent to the US for that (we're in Canada)

He had a dental in November - no problems there.

Donna have you had him looked at by a message therapist or a Chiropracter? 3 of my 5 hounds have hip issues and Booker has had a "locked pelvic" simular to your statment of any pressure and he would drop!

We now have him visit his chiro by monthly but started off weekly and worked wonders for him

I will see if I can find one in the area.

You can overnight to Protatek in Arizona. If he is miserable I'd do that and start him on doxy at the appropriate dose (5mg per # of body weight twice a day). Some just start the doxy and see if there is improvement, however, doxy will not cure babesia.

Sending prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Good thoughts from here for Logan :( I am so sorry he is not doing well, I know how it feels to not have a definitive diagnosis, not knowing is so hard :candle

Just an update to his gourmet breakfast, lunch and dinner -

He LOVED the breakfast kibble with 1/2 can of EVO duck dog food, ate it all up.

Now DH tells me he's got "medium D"

His system can't take that much wet food but if I leave just kibble he's NOT going to eat it.

Suggestions?

Maybe a PB&J sandwich? :)