Logan

Guest KennelMom

We had a similar situation, similar behavior and weight loss with him...a tick panel is a really good idea as previously mentioned.

With our boy (12), he ended up having chondrosarcoma that just took a while for us to see on an xray. Hopefully, nothing like that is going on with your boy, but I was back and forth with the vet many times over a couple months before we found it. Sometimes it can take a while to find it...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck that the vet(s) can figure it out and it's treatable. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest eaglflyt

I'm really not sure if testing is available in Canada, but you could probably contact any of the labs below and inquire. They would probably know of any labs doing this testing in Canada.

Protatek Labs

NCSU

Ohio State University

Just wanted to also mention that when our girl had that type of pain of screaming on being touched, the vet treating her first suspicioned either a spinal injury or TBD (specifically RMSF). Her situation turned out to be a severe reaction to a vaccine, but the TBD panel was very helpful in ruling those possiblities out ... and were first suspects when she was seen.

Edited by eaglflyt

Regarding food -- and so glad to know Logan's eating -- we had some trials here in the beginning with Stella with her both being finicky and having very loose stools. Canned Kirkland Lamb and Rice, believe it or not, consistently gave her her firm poo and was irresitible to her. Ingredients-wise, it's not a bad food, but not as rich as the EVO. I wish I could be of more help, and am holding Logan in my thoughts for good health here.

Poor Logan! We're thinking of you all!

TBD was my first thought too, with the other tests coming back OK. Those stupid tick diseases can lie in wait for years after exposure before showing up as a problem. Lyme is notorious for that I think.

Regarding the food, I was advised to feed Toni puppy food when she needed to gain weight as it has more calories, is easy to digest, and is really palatable. She was on Science Diet canned/kibble when we got her and had HORRIBLE diarrhea. As soon as we switched her to another brand she was better - gained weight fast, better poop, and she loved it. The other thing she really liked was canned hash (the people food version) from Dinty Moore. I mixed in an egg, either raw or cooked, and that went down fast!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rather than 1/2 can of EVO put in a few tablespoons and heat it for 15 seconds.

I'd do Protatek and do the whole panel. It's around $62 US for the panel which includes VF

OK he'll be getting a warm blue plate special tonight :)

And yes - a complete panel is the way we are going to go. I'm bringing all the info to our vet on Friday.

Thanks everybody!! I will keep you posted. :wubsite

Guest AGirlNamedMe

I hope he starts feeling better soon. Seems like if he's eating normal quantities and his poops are mostly normal, it could be a parasite. Haven't I read here that the tests are often non-conclusive and there's no real risk in treating as if that's what it is?

Guest HersheysMom

Has anyone suggested an abdominal ultrasound to check for masses on any of these organs? Hershey lost weight like this and his bloodwork was completely normal - but an ultrasound revealed masses on the liver & spleen. I hope that he improves.

Has anyone suggested an abdominal ultrasound to check for masses on any of these organs? Hershey lost weight like this and his bloodwork was completely normal - but an ultrasound revealed masses on the liver & spleen. I hope that he improves.

He had a bladder ultrasound because of the elevated epithelial cells in the urinalysis. I don't know if they checked the liver and spleen too. I will ask. Thanks !