Am I Just Lucky, Or Are There Others Out There?

Guest greydreams

Guest greydreams

I've had my most precious, sweet boy Al for about 1 1/2 months now. He has never ever had an accident of any kind in the house or crate. How lucky is THAT? When I very first got him he woke me up a few nights in the middle of the night whining, and I let him out and watched, and he did potty, but now he doesn't even wake me up any more. He is settling in, I see the signs all the time. I do feel lucky he is so good with it. My 2 year old Yorkie has accidents of both kinds, but I guess because he is smaller and can't hold it. But, sometimes I think he does it on purpose if he is mad at me, haha. Any one else have this kind of luck?

Guest Swifthounds

In 14 years with greyhounds, I've never had an adult have an accident in the house unless the hound was ill. I'm pretty vigilant though about my house training routine, even with the hounds who would do fine without it.

My Peggy was described as "very clean in her kennel" by the Rescue.

In the year she has been with us there has not been one 'accident' in the house. I've had hounds constantly since about 1985 so I kind of know how they work and when they might want to 'go.'

With my last dog who lived to 14 there were about 3 of those accidents and about 2 months of increasing incontinence at the end. But even then she knew she needed to lie on pads and to let me change them.

Guest Greytluv

Well, I think I'm really lucky. I've had my Danger for almost 6 years and he's always peeing in the house rolleyes.gif There's two spots where he loves to go smile.gif

:beatheart :beatheart

Bernadette001.jpg

In general, I think it's pretty easy to housetrain greyhounds compared to other breeds. There will be those exeptions though!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Bella had one accident inside the house - totally our fault. We were training her on the stairs, she got up and couldn't get back down. By the time we got her down, she was so stressed and had not been out to pee before training. Ooops.

I feel lucky about her pottying, but I feel reallllly lucky that she's such an amazing dog. We really did get paired with the best dog for us. Is that part of it just luck?

Guest happygrey

I feel pretty darn lucky too! We've had Tatam for 5 weeks and he's only had one accident (poop) in the house. And this was before we found out he was loaded with worms. Since that early incident we've had no problems. Knock on wood. :)

Guest ljh777

London only had one accident in the house and it was totally my fault... I knew she really had to get out and I decided to do one thing before opening the door and she didn't wait. Nor should she have had to! She's such a good girl.

Lola was accident prone at first. We've had about 2 good months now (knock on wood). Jackie never had a problem, and she holds in her pee and poo for a freakishly long time. Lola seems to just need to be let out more often, but we are figuring it out, and she is getting better about letting us know. Congratulations on your sweet, well-behaved boy. :)

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

Other than illness, the only time I have had an accident in the house (even with puppies) is when I think... I need to take the dogs out... well... I will finish doing blah blah and then I'll do it.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest isntitgreyt

Glenda hasn't had any accidents but Foxy does if uncrated at night and Molly too. I've tried different training techniques and have done urinalysis a few times. Nothing helps so they are crated. They are crated during the day too but when I'm home they are fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SaddleWags

Coen has never had an accident inside, either. We took great care to not let it happen. Isn't it such a relief (no pun intended) to have that trust.

Hah, we've been thinking how lucky we are, too! We've had our boy for just over three weeks now, and in that time we've had one pee accident in our house (totally our fault, misread a signal during the first week), and one marking "accident" in a friend's house (we credit that one to said friend's three kitties, who were doing their best to drive our poor befuddled greyhound bonkers). Otherwise, he hasn't shown the slightest inclination of going inside the house. Even when we were battling the big D during his first week with us, he would go to the back door and whine to let us know he needed to go.

We've taken advantage of his prior crate-training and are quite vigilant when he's out of the crate, which is basically anytime we're at home and not sleeping. We've also tried hard to keep to a regular schedule for potty walks - no fenced yard here, so all business is on-leash - and so far the housebreaking has seemed almost too easy. Still knocking wood every day, but mostly we just think our guy is, well, *perfect* - at least for us. Sometimes I think he's just trying to make it easy for us newbie humans!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

None of mine have ever had an accident in my house or in their crates or in my van. Haven't had any sicknesses either in recent years, certainly not that caused an accident. However like a poster above me, I am very vigilant about housebreaking. I also do not work so I am always here.

I've been really lucky with all of mine over the years. Stel (my first) had some issues early on with peeing in her crate but that turned out to be something meds helped with. I had one foster who pooped in her crate but it turned out she was loaded with worms that we didn't know about. Other than that, I've never had a poop in the house and only a very, very occasional peeing accident...even with the new boys.

Oops..I guess I forgot one thing. Stel gets car sick on long trips. Needless to say, Dewey and Mountain Hounds are out for her!!!!

Edited by fourofem

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest bluefawn

Other than illness, the only time I have had an accident in the house (even with puppies) is when I think... I need to take the dogs out... well... I will finish doing blah blah and then I'll do it.

Ditto! I was trying to remember a time when my greys had an accident in the house. Penny is 12, and not even when she was a puppy did she have an accident in the house. But I crate trained her from the day I brought her home at 2 months old. But a couple of months ago, she did wet my bed, but I found out that she was very sick. She is on PPA now, and that and a food change took care of it. Other than that, mine have always been able to hold it a long time.

Guest Drumhellergrey

I was under the understanding that greys were very clean and that they would not soil their kennels.

I have not been proven wrong by Ted. We didn't do any potty-training with him, he just instinctively seemed to know that the place to do his business was outside. For the longest time, he wouldn't even do the deed in the yard, he would rather wait until he was on his walks. After having guests over, who had dogs, he finally started going in the yard at times. Even luckier, he only does it in one small corner, which makes clean-up so much easier.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I've had my most precious, sweet boy Al for about 1 1/2 months now. He has never ever had an accident of any kind in the house or crate. How lucky is THAT? When I very first got him he woke me up a few nights in the middle of the night whining, and I let him out and watched, and he did potty, but now he doesn't even wake me up any more. He is settling in, I see the signs all the time. I do feel lucky he is so good with it. My 2 year old Yorkie has accidents of both kinds, but I guess because he is smaller and can't hold it. But, sometimes I think he does it on purpose if he is mad at me, haha. Any one else have this kind of luck?

You are fortunate, yes. I was also fortunate with Speck and Gino, both. They were very good about quickly learning that the outside world was their toilet; not inside. Glad things are going so well for you and Al. Pictures? ;)

Guest Heehoo

Smiley! This guy is perfect. I've had greyhounds since 1994 .... and never have I had this perfect of a doggie. I give all the thanks to Holly/Unruly Hounds. She fostered him for 8 months. Even at her house he didn't have accidents in the house or the crate.

Guest greydreams

I was expecting him to be able to hold it a long time, of course, but since he was first coming into a home and never been in a home before, and two other dogs, all the newness and everything, I did expect to have an accident or two. But it didn't happen, so I thought I was lucky for that. I know big dogs can hold it, but I was making sure he got an opportunity to go out if he needed it because of stress of being new is all. And he is good about telling me if he does have to go out, I don't wait, I let him out when he asks.

Guest MyCody

JJ is our sixth greyhound and the only one who is giving us trouble "going" in the house. I am running out of ideas and may just start crating her although we didn't use one with her. I've had two seniors who had cancer, were extremely sick and yet never had an accident. JJ is going to be three next month was a basket case when we brought her home and only lets my husband and me near her without cringing. We were told she was abused in the racing kennel.

The pottying in the house is driving us crazy. We have to watch her every second and even if she's just been out, she'll come in and go.

I'm trying to put her out every two hours and make her stay out until she goes. Nights are not a problem, she'll stay in her bed all night.

Any ideas?