I Need Some Serious Prayers!

Guest littlesyd85

Guest littlesyd85

So first I should probably mention that Lena passed away almost 3 weeks ago. She died suddenly and without warning. The vet thinks she threw a blood clot. It was very traumatic for my husband and I and we are still getting over the shock. In true crazy greyhound loving fashion, John and I adopted another a week later. His name is Walker (Ozarka Walker) and he was at GAO since June. He is adjusting great. He was one of those who just needed a home!

Now almost a week ago (two weeks after Lena passed and one week after adopting Walker) Monarch fell in the back yard. She was running (not too fast) and slipped. It turns out that she tore her shoulder muscle. Therefore she can't walk because as some of you know she is a tripod and only has one front leg. Then on Tuesday when I was at work John went to let the other two dogs out... Monarch wanted to go too and she fell trying (she fell on the hard wood floor) and split open her elbow so badly that you could see the bone. My husband called me and I ran out of work to rush home then take her to the vet. The bleeding was so bad that we thought we were going to lose her. For some reason her blood would not clot. She had surgery and was all stitched up and had a "soft" cast on. Yesterday evening we brought her home. There was a little swelling in her front paw because of the bandage so we were told to watch it and if it swells more to call. Well in true fashion her paw puffed up like a balloon. So this morning my husband had to load her in the car and take her back to the vet (which is a 1/2 hour away). They took the bandage off to find that the wound had re-opened. The vet is worried that she will not be able to make the 6 weeks that she needs for her muscle to heal. Especially now that this wound doesn't want to stay stitched up. I'm so worried that I have to put her down. I just don't think that I can deal with that. Not only because I just lost Lena and that I love Monarch, but because all she did was slip in the yard. It kills me that something that simple may take her life away. It isn't fair. She has already been dealt a horrible hand and now all of this. She is such a great dog and she doesn't deserve this. I need the power of GreyTalk! Please send prayers and good thoughts our way. We need to find a way to get her through this six weeks and right now it doesn't look good.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

OMG, you and our poor baby! I am sooo sorry to hear this. This snow and ice has really been causing a lot of incidents with these dogs.

I sincerely hope the vet can find a way to keep this wound sutured, to allow the healing process. If the would does stay shut, and we are all praying for that, maybe you could use one of those slings to help her get around?

Maybe it would be beneficial to email Dr. Couto and get his opinion, and see if he and his staff have any ideas on dealing with this type of wound. Couldn't hurt!

In the meantime, we are sending you much love, many hugs and buckets of prayers! Dee and The Five

Oh my goodness. sad.gif I'm so sorry you lost your Lena so suddently & now Monarch's injury.

I would contact Dr. Couto if only for the fact that her blood wouldn't clot. His other specialty besides cancer is hematology. I have no idea how close you are to OSU but maybe you could even take her there.

Very best wishes & healing thoughts for your girl. goodluck.gifclover.gifgetwell.gifcandle.gifhope.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest littlesyd85

Oh my goodness. sad.gif I'm so sorry you lost your Lena so suddently & now Monarch's injury.

I would contact Dr. Couto if only for the fact that her blood wouldn't clot. His other specialty besides cancer is hematology. I have no idea how close you are to OSU but maybe you could even take her there.

Very best wishes & healing thoughts for your girl. goodluck.gifclover.gifgetwell.gifcandle.gifhope.gif

Bill Feeman is my regular vet and we have been in contact with OSU. Dr. Couto is out of the country and will be back at the clinic on Monday. We will most likely be going there soon. I will keep everyone posted about when the appointment is.

Guest greytbookert

I wish I had advice... but I'm sending many, many prayers and hugs to you!

Oh I did think of one thing... I've heard that Manuka honey will help heal the wound... It can't hurt to try!

Guest mcsheltie

It is just awful what you are going through. We are sending bunches of prayers too.

Crate rest or x-pen, a leash on when she is out (not letting her walk alone for one step) and put rugs where she has to walk would be my suggestions.

Hang in there! I have every confidence OSU will get Monarch on the road to recovery

Prayers going up fast and furious from KY. I serve an awesome God. God bless Monarch.

Also I second the comment on the Mauuka honey. Also, I personally knew of a dog right here in Louisville who was happy and got along on 2 legs without any trouble after he had been shot and sustained spinal damage. I seen him. The vet said he was A-OK- that he had adapted so well it just wasn't a problem for him! I have confidence she will adapt and heal as necessary. Please keep us posted so we can cheer her on in her recovery!