New Here, Introducing Myself

Guest handpicked

Guest handpicked

Hello!! My name is Shelley Lake and I am a veterinarian and greyt mom to 10 retired racers. I started working as an assistant greyhound trainer at the Woodlands in Kansas City, KS in 1993. I adopted my first retired racer, Hand Picked (Andy) in 1994. In 1995, I applied to the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine and was accepted into the class of 1999. I continued to work at the Woodlands on breaks and summers. In 1996, I began fostering retired racers and finding them homes as they finished their careers. Since that time, I have fostered over 40 greyhounds. I have also personally adopted 18 of my own and currently have a household of 10. I trained some famous names in the greyhound industry such as: Bee Lite, Flying Stanley, Flying Mancini, Flying Bridgeport and Atascocita Leroy. I worked at the Woodlands until it closed in 2008 and I would go back today if it reopens. In 2007, my trainer, Big Jim Martin, gave me a racing greyhound puppy as a Christmas present. Her name is Ratatouie and her racing name is Zambezi Zinger and she will come home to our house when she is done racing. I still help move greyhounds into adoption off of the Flying Eagles farm in Abilene also.

My greyhound crew is: Gabe (Ibindigo), a 11.5 year old black male, who was supposed to be a foster, who jumped up in bed that very first night and gave nibble kisses to my husband and I for like 20 minutes. That was over 7 years ago. He is ADD and just wants to do something, anything, all the time and loves to sing, even without his voice (due to LP tieback surgery in 2007.)

Next is Felter (Mulberry Jet), a 9.5 year old red fawn male who raced until he was a month over 5 years of age. His brothers were stakes winners at the Woodlands (Mulberry Jack and Mulberry Jock) who both went on to productive stud careers. All seven littermates are now adopted. He is a stubborn, food motivated, and very active boy who loves to cuddle in bed at night.

Next, we have our first set of littermates. Whiteout (Twilite Whiteout)is a seven year old white and brindle male who tore a shoulder muscle early in his career. He retired to our house and became quite a daddy's boy!! He loves to be held like a baby and will climb up into your lap so you can hold him!! He can be kind of cranky though!

In 2005, when Geneva Lakes was closing, I was helping an ex-Woodlands dog get back to Kansas City to be adopted and I found that Whiteout's sister, Carrie,(Scary Girl) is a white and brindle ticked female who had no where to go. We brought her here and fostered her until we got her picked to go on a haul to Ohio. In 2008, we applied to adopt her after Team Greyhound found her out running loose twice in a month. She loves to cuddle with people but loves nothing more than beating up her greyhound brothers!!

Next, we have Sweetboy (Craigie Sweetboy) who is a almost 7 year old red brindle male, who is the biggest singer I have ever knew!! He loves to sing all the time!! He is a genuine sweetie who totally was named appropriately!! He came home in November 2006 after tearing a hind muscle down at Derby Lane.

Next is our newest addition, 5 year old red brindle male, Mully (Pikes Mulligan.) He just retired in December from a profitable racing career at Wheeling Island. I also owned his brother, Dodge Ball, who passed away from seizures at the age of 3. The whole litter except for one sister: Pikes Big Mama Z are all dead from seizures and I think the whole litter had canine distemper. Mully is a greyhound bleeder who tried to die over his neuter 10 days ago, but he is a outgoing, very loving boy who I am so happy to finally have home.

Next comes our three brothers: Flying Quebec, Peoria and Vasquez. They all share my birthday (they just turned 4) and we all share a special bond. Quebec and Vasquez are red brindles and Peoria is a dark brindle. Quebec raced at the Woodlands, Peoria at Southland and Vasquez at Derby Lane.

Last is the baby and special needs boy of the bunch: Puck (Get In My Belly), an almost 4 year old red fawn male. Puck never raced due to a cataract in his left eye. He is crate phobic, and is a spook but has come a long way. His favorite friend in the world is Felter, who can't do anything without Puck in his business!! He is a goof but we love him.

So that is the Lake family in a nutshell. Good to meet you all!! Shelley, Gabe, Felter, Whiteout, Carrie, Sweetboy, Mully, Quebec, Peoria, Vasquez and Puck

Wow, welcome! It's wonderful to have you here. Being such a grey-experienced veterinarian is going to make you veeery popular around here I suspect! :)

Hope you'll share some pictures of your amazing pack!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Great introduction! Thanks and welcome. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:wave Hi Shelley - Rascal says Hi too!

Good to hear about all your babes! I keep trying to get back to Abilene but it just never works out.

Rascal is 12 now, I really wish i could get him back to see everyone, and they could see him,,, those who remember the "Fun Run" he had!

Lorinda and Rascal

Utah

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest handpicked

Hi Shelly and welcome to greytalk.

Hi, Linda!! So nice to see a familiar face here!! Thanks for the welcome!

Good to hear about all your babes! I keep trying to get back to Abilene but it just never works out.

Rascal is 12 now, I really wish i could get him back to see everyone, and they could see him,,, those who remember the "Fun Run" he had!

Lorinda and Rascal

Utah

Hi Shelly and welcome to greytalk.

Hi, Linda!! So nice to see a familiar face here!! Thanks for the welcome!

Lorinda and Rascal

Utah

Oh, Lorinda!! So glad to find you on here and to see Rascal so happy!! Wow, he would be 12 now, wouldn't he? Give that big boy a hug from me!

Welcome Shelley, from Long Island, NY. LOTS of tetosterone in your home, LOL.

Yes, maam!! As it should be!! I love the boys (especially the big ones!! Hugs to your family!

Well it's about time you joined, Shelley.;) I am so happy you are here! Welcome to GT!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sweetpea

Oh hi!

My girl raced at Woodlands in 2005 and 2006, and then skeedaddled on up here!

Her name was Sweet Tart Drive-(Castor Troy and Elisha Drive), but now she's my Sweetpea!

Welcome from Seattle.

Buzzy and the lovely and likes-reminiscing-about-her-glory-days Sweetpea

Hello and welcome :wave .

I hope you enjoy GT and you can add me to the list of those who'd love to see pictures of your pack!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Wow, that is one big greyhound family, loved the stories of all of them. Welcome to GT!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten