How To Get Tramadol In Him?

**update** Well, I pilled him, and he promptly threw up the pill, some bile, some of last night's dinner, and probably most of the Metacam I gave him earlier this morning. Now what do I do? Do I give him more Metacam? He needs some serious pain relief! And I don't think I'll be pilling him again any time soon :rolleyes:

My poor old man Shadow got up this morning stumbling around and in obvious pain. He can't walk well, and there's not way to get him downstairs in the shape he's in.

Luckily, we have liquid Metacam so I was able to give him a dose of that and some water, but he won't eat anything, so I don't know how to get the Tramadol down his throat. I know it tastes awful and I've never pilled him before, so I'm not sure about just shoving it down :unsure

Any other suggestions, or at least a good description of how I can pill him? I need to get him downstairs but don't want to try to move him until he's more comfortable.

Thanks for any help. I'm so worried about my poor boy :(

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

put your hand over the top of his mouth, curl your fingers in till he opens his mouth (they naturally will not want to bite down on their own lips), put pill in the back of his throat as far as you can get it, close mouth and stroke throat until he swallows. Takes, like, 2 seconds and is painless if you are swift and confident. With some dogs I straddle them from behind so they don't wriggle left to right. But, if you've never done it he probably won't even know anything is happening until its over.

Edited by KennelMom

put your hand over the top of his mouth, curl your fingers in till he opens his mouth (they naturally will not want to bite down on their own lips), put pill in the back of his throat as far as you can get it, close mouth and stroke throat until he swallows. Takes, like, 2 seconds and is painless if you are swift and confident. With some dogs I straddle them from behind so they don't wriggle left to right. But, if you've never done it he probably won't even know anything is happening until its over.

Exactly!

I find it easiest to "ride" the dog as if he were a horse, and if you do it quickly and gently, it's a lot easier than messing around trying to trick them with food.

FYI, it IS bitter, but not horrible. Take it myself!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've never had to pill a dog like that but ice cream and cream cheese has always worked here.

Pill or no pill, it just slides right down.

Good luck

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

If here were interested in eating, I'd suggest griding up the pill into powder and putting it into yogurt, a piece of cheese, or peanut butter. Maybe something like that would tempt him? Good Luck, and sorry he is feeling badly. Yes, that is one good thing about Metacam liquid ... you can get it down, but, there is still the stomach irritation factor, without some type of food.

Do you have any Pepcid (famotidine) in the house? Might want to make a Pepcid (1 regular strength, 10 mg famotidine; if you have the 20mg size one of those would be OK) his next pill, wait 30-40 minutes, then try feeding or other pills.

Couple pill tricks when you aren't able to stuff down throat:

Trick 1 -- Put a blob of peanutbutter, cream cheese, liverwurst, raw ground beef, etc. on the pill. Now put a goodly smear of same on your middle and ring fingers. Put blobbed pill on index finger; offer pill to dog; poke it into mouth if they won't take it; immediately offer middle and ring fingers to lick.

Trick 2 -- Crush the pill up in a teaspoon or two of dark molasses. If pup won't just lick it up, stick your finger in it and smear it on their gums, inside lip, etc. You can do the same with peanutbutter but if you have molasses, it seems to be better at hiding nasty flavors.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

yep ... all of the above tips work well for mine (they always get a kiss on the tip of their nose first from me ... makes ME feel better at least).

I also 'coat' the pills with a small piece of cheese slice (1/8 of a slice) ... I give the rest of the slice to my 2 as a treat immediately after ...

but if the throwing up is from the pill hitting the stomach, pre-treat with pepcid.

good luck and keep us updated!

Guest Swifthounds

What everyone else says. :colgate Also, if you can, don't give the Tramadol within an hour of the metacam, which is more tummy irritating, even with Pepcid.

I didn't see your original post, so forgive me if this has been suggested already. We have always used a generout dollop of peanut butter. I put a good gob on a spoon, push the pill in and then completely cover it with more peanut butter. Then I let them lick the peanut butter off the spoon like it's a special treat. It has always worked for us. I've also heard someone say they used those Baby Bell cheeses-pushing a pill into one of the wedges. Cream cheese may work or some really smelly canned food like Wellness white fish. Good luck!

Well, we just got the Pepcid in him (with the help of some cream cheese, but we still had to force it down), so we'll wait and give Tramadol in a little while. Poor guy pooped lying down, and still hasn't been out to pee. I'm waiting for a flood in his bed :(

Nevermind, he threw that up, too, then just laid in his vomit. We are now trying to figure out how to get him downstairs and in the car for the e-vet. Any good thoughts would be appreciated...

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest greytbookert

I don't have much for advice on the pilling but I'm sending hugs.

Could there be something else going on? Is your vet open today? The symptoms have me a little worried but I am a super worrier!

Guest Swifthounds

Well, we just got the Pepcid in him (with the help of some cream cheese, but we still had to force it down), so we'll wait and give Tramadol in a little while. Poor guy pooped lying down, and still hasn't been out to pee. I'm waiting for a flood in his bed :(

Nevermind, he threw that up, too, then just laid in his vomit. We are now trying to figure out how to get him downstairs and in the car for the e-vet. Any good thoughts would be appreciated...

Can you slide a comforter under him? Then you can either slide it along the ground or pick up the four corners and lift him hammock style.

What about getting a transdermal patch for his pain? Fentanyl maybe? Forgive me if you've already discussed it, I don't recall the original posts.

I'm at the evet now on my iPhone so excuse the typos. We carried him out on his comforter and he didn't move at all. The wait today is long but well see what they say . I'm worried.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Tramadol tastes awful, according to our vet. And the dog's reaction is to throw it back up, etc. if he tastes it at all--it's not stomach upset, it's an instinctive reaction to the taste. I freaked out the first time it started happening, because Patrick was also foaming at the mouth a whole bunch.

Our dog sitter finally realized we had all these extra gel caps around from giving cosequine every morning, so I pop the tramadol in those, pill him, problem stopped.

If you don't have extra gel caps, I would imagine you could buy them from a compounding pharmacy--or maybe a friend that gives cosequine would give them to you. Then you can either pill (which I do) or put the entire gel cap in peanut butter or something else tempting (what she does.)

Don't grind it up, the worst thing you can do is break open the tablet, it will make the taste reaction even worse.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greytbookert

I'm at the evet now on my iPhone so excuse the typos. We carried him out on his comforter and he didn't move at all. The wait today is long but well see what they say . I'm worried.

Sending many prayers! I hope it is nothing to worry about... if it helps, I'm worrying with you!

Jack's Tramadol was in a capsule but I always hid it in raw cat food - salmon as I recall. That always worked.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren