Here Goes (Long But Very Important)

Denis and I were extremely stressed out last week but I wasn't able to say anything until now. Now that it has had a happy ending, I have decided to write about it, mostly as a reminder to check your homes so that you won't have to go through the same thing as we did.

One week ago, Monday, while we were at work, TJ found a bottle of Advil that we had left in house. The Advil was in a bag somewhere in the house and TJ found it, and chewed right through the plastic and ate who-knows-how-many of the "candy". By the time we got home and found the empty bottle, it was totally mangled and only 5 pills were found on the floor. We know that the bottle had been opened and some taken, but we have no idea how many had been in there and how many TJ got. We also had no idea when he had done it - the bottle was bone dry when we found it.

We took TJ, who was vomiting by this time, Rowdy and Lefty with us to the emergency vet. We weren't sure if Rowdy and Lefty had got some too so we thought we better get some treatment for them too just to be safe. Rowdy and Lefty were not vomiting or showing any signs like TJ was.

TJ went first, evaluated and put on IV fluids, blood work done and given a dose of charcoal. He remained at the emerg overnight so he could be closely monitored.

Rowdy and Lefty were each given a dose of charcoal and sent home with us.

The next morning, we picked up TJ and took him to our regular vet for continued treatment. For the next 5 days in he**, we were going day-by-day to see if TJ would survive. Most dogs who have such toxic poisonings do not survive, and if by chance he did survive, he would most likely have some permanent damage to his kidneys and other organs.

The vets were most concerned with ulcers and perforation of his intestines, this would require immediate major surgery and with damaged kidneys, they weren't sure he would survive the surgery.

Wednesday and Thursday were the worst days. He was heading downhill - they were positive he had ulcers and internal bleeding as well as damage to his kidneys. We struggled through those days, so stressed that we could barely function.

On Friday we saw some improvement and were very hopeful although is blood work still showed some internal issues and he still had blood in his urine.

Saturday morning showed considerable improvement. Enough so that he as able to come home for the weekend. So we happily took our "walking pharmacy" (he had many medications that had to go home with him) home. He was exhausted and spent the whole day sleeping but was really happy to be home.

On Sunday, we had our own TJ back. He was perky, energetic and the very happy-go-lucky boy. It was so wonderful to see him like that.

Yesterday, Monday, I took him back to the vet for a recheck and amazingly, his blood work showed everything was back to normal - including his kidneys. It is a miracle! We are all ecstatic, including our vet. He is being weaned off all the medications that he has been on for the past week and goes back to the vet in 2-weeks for a follow up to make sure everything is still good.

All I can say is it is a miracle that he made it and I thank our vet and the technicians for the wonderful and special care they gave to TJ. Our vet closes the office at 6:30 everyday yet TJs vet went in a few times every night while he was there to take him out for a short walk and to make sure he was okay. Bless his heart.

Please...I urge you to go through your home and make sure that there is nothing toxic or dangerous that your dog can get into. We have gone through our entire house and put away anything that we can that is even slightly toxic or dangerous. We have blocked off the rooms that we cannot do anything about such as my studio and Denis' stained glass work room.

I'm so very glad TJ is going to be okay. What a horrible week! A good warning for all of us. Thanks Joanne!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

WOW!! This IS A TRUE Miracle, believe me! Especially with no damage to the liver or kidneys! I have seen humans who purposely over-dosed on this, die.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you guys, and yes, thanks for posting that warning about meds being left around where these inquisitive babies can get them.

Love, hugs and prayers for all of you, and what you have gone through!

Dee and The Five!

I'm going to move some stuff right now. Thanks!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest KennelMom

I'm so glad you and TJ have a happy ending...and it's so important that stories like this are shared here for everyone to learn from. The dogs will get into the darndest things!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Wow. That is amazing. How terrifying!!

I always put my Advil up high, because I have thought about that. It's so scary! I take some headmeds that I am pretty sure could kill a dog, too (Zoloft, Klonopin, Trazodone) so I am SUPER careful between the pups and the baby!

Thank you for sharing your story. It's a timely reminder! :blush I'm guilty of leaving a full bottle of Ibuprofen within Finnian's reach... all too often. That will now change. Thankfully your boy pulled through this ordeal. Hugs to all. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest SueG201

Thanks for the heads up I leave my Advil up very high in the cabinet but you never know, I know of several whippets that did not survive after eating advil

I am SO glad that TJ is alright! :grouphug

Ladies, that goes for purses too...I keep bottles of human NSAIDS in my purse, as well as some daily meds that I take in the middle of the day while at work...I always keep my purse in the kitchen on the counter because that area is babygated. You never know when some gum or something in your purse might smell yummy and then when they find the fun shaker bottles, it becomes a very dangerous situation.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest dragontearz

I'm glad that with my ulcers I can't take painkillers, they affect my stomach in a very bad way, and knowing Guinness anything with the potential to be edible he will try!..Thank you for the heads up, something to keep in mind when we move next week.

Glad he's ok :yay

I yell at my mom all the time for leave her sudafed on the window sill above the sink. She doesn't think the dogs can get at it but the cat can and could knock it on the floor for the dogs.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Fantastic that TJ is doing so well. What a nightmare for you to experience - I'm so glad this had a happy ending. Thank you for the reminder. I'm going to double check the house to be sure there is nothing left out that could be harmful.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thank you everyone. There have been some good input that I didn't think of.

Purses, I use to leave mine hanging on the railing at the top of the stairs. I keep medication in my purse too. Since last week, I now leave it high up on my dresser.

Cats - I don't have any cats, but it is very possible that your cat could knock a bottle of medication of a shelf or ledge to the floor or counter where your dog can find it.

The safest place for all medications and supplements would be behind a closed door.

I am so happy that so many of you are going to make sure that this does not happen to you...

Happened to me twice, two different dogs. Thankfully I was able to make them vomit it up and there were no lasting effects, once was ibuprofin and once it was thyroid pills. Dogs do the strangest things! I keep all meds WAY up in the cupboards now. I still carry advil in my purse and I make sure it's zipped at all times.